Sightron Scopes

Hunter Customs

I've been considering a new scope purchase, I've been looking at a Leupold fixed 6 power with target dot, also considering a Sightron II 6x24 with target dot.

I know the quality of the Leupold scopes, would like information about the Sightron scopes from anyone that has used them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

4EVERM-14

I have a 6-24x-42. I thought it was a good value for the money. My only complaint is that the 1/8mos adjustment clicks are mushy. They track and repeat nicely but the feel is not as positive as I would like.

Txhillbilly

I've never been a Leupold fan,they survive on a name not quality,IMO. They make decent scopes,but are highly overpriced for what you get.

I do like the Sightron's.I have 5 of the 6-24x50 SIII's and 1 of the 4-16x42 SII series. There are better optics,but you'll pay twice the price for them.

There are many good fixed power optics on the market so it shouldn't be hard to find a good scope.

Rimfire5

I've got four Sightrons - two 6x24x42s and two 36Xs.
I've also got a Nightforce, a Leupold, 4 Bushnell Elites, and three Weavers.
The Sightron's are mounted on some of my most accurate target rifles.

I trust the Sightron's to maintain their zero and to adjust accurately.
I've been using my first Sightron for 6 years and just kept adding others because they perform so well for a reasonable price.

The Nightforce is brighter and so is the Leupold but they have 56mm and 50 mm front optics. They also cost about 2.5 to 3 times as much. You only notice the difference in brightness in the very early hours of the morning. After the sun is stronger, you can't see the difference.

Mobuck

I use Sightrons on several rifles. Most have never needed re-adjusting after the initial sight-in and these aren't safe queens or range toys.

Hunter Customs

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.
It looks like I may have to take a closer look at the Sightron scope, I can buy it about $100 less then the Leupold.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

brmfan

+1 for the SIII 6-24x50. I used mine for a couple years for 1000K F-TR matches and the optical quality (IMO) fell somewhere between my Leupold MK 4 and US Optics SN-3... but keep in mind that is a subjective assessment based on my own perception. Tracking is accurate and reliable. I would definitely buy another SIII without hesitation.

reynolds357

I have never owned a Sightron. Several people I shoot with have owned Sightron; none of them do now. They were all disappointed with them.

reynolds357

They were all high end SIII scopes used on 1k bench guns. The universal complaint was they just were not accurate enough.

tpcollins

The Sightrons are a favored optic on one my varmint hunting forums. I started with a 4-16 SII on my .243 Ruger. I liked it so well I put a 6-24 SII Big Sky on my .204 Ruger.

They have the AO on the objective which I favor over the side focus. When I focus in on a chuck with the 6-24, it just "pops" into view.

603Country

I'm sure, though I don't have one, that Sightron is a fine scope. My logic would be a bit different when comparing it to a Leupold. I wouldn't buy it because it was a bit cheaper. Rather, I'd buy the Leupold if it was only a bit more expensive. To me, Leupold is a known quality and I would inherently trust that it would work for me (or they'd fix it for free). Lately folks seem to feel that Leupold is overpriced. But since the company makes scopes from low price to very high price, how can it be said that they are truly overpriced. My most expensive scope these days is a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP. I like it a lot, but the glass is not as good as VX3 Leupold glass. So is the Vortex overpriced because of that? If you know what you are buying before you buy it, and you are happy with making that choice, then you didn't pay too much.

That said, whatever satisfies us is all we need. For years (25 years ago) I had a 6-24 Tasco on my old 220 Swift. I only complained about it when the light was dim. In good light it was all I ever needed. Never broke. I could shoot bugs off a target at 200 yards.

reynolds357

603, what most mean by "Leupold is overpriced" is that the scope quality does not justify the cost. For example, in product lines where Meopta and Leupold both make a comparable scope, the Meopta is undoubtedly much better glass for the money. As far as mechanics go, Leupold is top end. Unfortunately, their glass is lacking for its price point. They are having trouble matching the high end European optics. Leupold's customer service is not what it used to be. I was having a problem with a scope and it took Leupold customer service forever to get me the answers I needed. I told the customer service rep that "I get 100 times better customer service from NightForce than I get from yall." His answer was, "They are a smaller company and do not have to deal with the volume we deal with." I then told him "Yall will not have to worry about dealing with me anymore because I will quit buying from you if you can not service your product in a timely manner." I do not know what their problem is now, but they just do not seem to care nearly as much as they did a few years ago.

Last edited:

Mobuck

"The universal complaint was they just were not accurate enough"

That comment demands more explanation.

4runnerman

I have the 8-32 x 56 on my Match Rifle. Holds Zero perfect,tracks perfect and clarity is great. I shoot this rifle out to 1400 yards with that scope and no issues at all.

Txhillbilly

Quote from reynolds357-*They were all high end SIII scopes used on 1k bench guns. The universal complaint was they just were not accurate enough.*

That's a pretty vague statement. I know of no one that has ever claimed a SIII series wasn't accurate enough,and all of mine track and repeat perfectly from 100 to 1200 yards.
I guess if they were using an MOA turret/reticle and were used to using a MIL turret/reticle they might be able to make that claim since MIL Adjustments are a little finer.
But Sightron offers both styles,so that doesn't make much sense.

Compared to a S&B,March,U.S.Optics,or other $2500+ scopes the SIII is in last place optics wise,but they will run right with almost any other scope in any other comparison all day long.
I've been using Sightrons for a long time,and they have worked great for me.I'd love to be able to have S&B's or Vortex Razor's setting on all of my rifles,but I also know that isn't possible.