Sightmark Photon XT 4.6..... Two Thumbs UP!

dean1818

I received my Sightmark Photon XT today, and couldn't help but take it out to an area where I could use it with little light.

I have to say that I am very impressed.

For around $500 a person would have a great experience hunting at night up to 100 yards

Its not as good as the GEN 3 and 4 that some folks have. (Kids in college limit the toys I have these days)
Its not a thermal.......

But.... from what I have seen on Youtube, it rivals the GEN 2 systems that I have seen, and maybe is a step up
(Youtube probably isnt a fair comparison though)

I will mount it on my 6.8 and sight it in next week, and will give an update, but this looks like a winner so far.

(My first pig hunt this year is in April on the Texas / Mexico border... I hope to use it then in a hunt)

I will give a full review then.

Hey Dean, you can vastly improve the performance of the Photon XT with any one of several supplemental IR illuminators. About the best ones out there right now are the T20-pattern illuminator that run an 850 nm IR LED in them. I think you can find them for as little as about $60 on Amazon, but the can sell for up to $200. They are all pretty much the same, made in China, but work well enough. They run on 18650 rechargeable batteries so that you don't run down your onboard batteries when using the IR. In open terrain, you could double your effective range for the Photon XT.

Also, since they have 1" body tubes, you can use an inexpensive 1" mount to attach them to a rail on your rifle or the side rail of the scope. I prefer to mount mine on the rifle.

--------------

Yeah, it isn't a Gen III optic, but then again, you don't need a Gen III optic for a lot of things. It is sort of like not everyone needs a Lexus to drive to work when they can get there just fine in their old pickup truck.