Sighting in a red-dot for an AR

tachunter

I have no experience with sighting in red-dots with AR's. My buddy picked up a Eotech red-dot and mounted it on his Daniels Defense 223. Neither one of us has experience. How exactly do you sight these guys in? I didn't notice any buttons to move the dot left right or up and down, but then again I didn't really look. The gun itself really impressed me. So how does this work fellas?

RGR3/75

on the right side of the eotech, there's knobs that move the ret up/down and left/right at 1/2 in moa each click. zero it at 25 m. your point of aim and point of impact should be about 1 cm apart.

demigod

Why would he zero at 25m?

25m is the military zero you use when are limited to a short range. In my opinion it leaves way too much room for error at longer distances... unless you confirm the zero at 250m or whatever distance the bullet reaches poa/poi again.

A lot of people like the Improved BZO. But I'm a fan of the simple 100 yard zero. With a 100 yard zero you're good from 0-200 plus, and can either hold over or make minor adjustments for 3-500.

RGR3/75

well it really doesn't matter. your eotech isn't that accurate so cry about distance all you want. you're still gonna hit a person and 300+

ISC

I zero at 10 meters with an offset target then confirm zero at 25 meters. The thing to keep in mind is that

1) you need the correct offset, make sure that it accounts for the mount type and location.

2) red dots (at least the M68 CCO that we use) aren't paralax free until after 50 M so you need to keep the dot centered in the FOV

trublu

Mine is zeroed at 25 m and it works for me.The reason is that the point of aim and point of impact will be the same at 25 m and (approximately) 200m. No hold over or adjustment of aim is needed to hit a target at the ranges the rifle will be used at. Actually I find the eotech more accurate than iron sights or ghost ring and a lot of fun to shoot with.

RGR3/75

the eotech isn't a pos m68. it's a holographic sight so it doesn't matter where you look through the sight. 25m zero gives you 300m.

Quentin2

If you're a good shooter a 50 yard zero should keep you within 2.5" of POA from 0-230 yards, basically that's the Improved Battlesight Zero. Pretty hard to beat unless you're only shooting at a single distance.