Sighting In a Marlin 336 .30-30

B. Lahey

I have found some ammunition that groups well in my rifle, but I can't get the windage adjusted just right. I am attempting to drift the barrel-mounted rear sight enough to move the point of impact 2" at 50 yards. The smallest adjustment I have managed so far moves the group 4". This has left me in an ammo wasting wild goose chase of shooting a group 2" left, drifting the sight, shooting a group 2" right, drifting the sight, shooting a group 2" left, and on and on until I am out of ammo.

I have tried tapping the sight with all shapes and sizes of non-marring objects, but the group either moves 4" or not at all.

Help.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Don't tap so hard!

Sorry. :)

Were I having that problem, after I got done cussing, I'd scribe an index mark in the bluing of the sight and the barrel. The point of a very sharp knife will work. I'd tap what I thought was "good enough" and then shoot. The index mark allows going back halfway.

When you're done, color the index mark with a black Pentel or use a Q-Tip with a dab of cold blue.

Jack O'Conner

Place a small piece of masking tape on the barrel next to sight. Mark the centerline with a pencil. Now you can tap the sight and observe how much it has moved.

Good shooting to you.

Jack

Edward429451

A cheap Williams receiver sight for the rear will solve it all for you and make future adjustments a pc of cake. I put Williams peep sights an my friends 336, my 1895, my 10/22, and my sons R700.

Life is good now with peeps.

Don't tap so hard, LOL!

Metal god

Don't they make a sight adjustment tool . It clamps or something on to the gun and uses a T-handled screw to push the sight over slowly.

PetahW

Metal god said:
Don't they make a sight adjustment tool? It clamps or something on to the gun and uses a T-handled screw to push the sight over slowly.

The sight adjustment (really sight pushers) tool(s) will only work on a dovetail sight that's mounted in a ramp, where the tool can get a purchase on the side opposite from where it's pushing a sight in/out/about.

Sights that are mounted directly in a barrel dovetail must be drifted, unless they have a screw adjustment built in.

Big Shrek

Marlin shouldn't be putting step sights in their rifles...
1. Drift sights SUCK.
2. Marlin already makes something better & less expensive...

$10 will solve Everyone's problem with imprecise drifting of sights...
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=890180&catid=4082

Looks like this when installed...and is SCREW ADJUSTED!!!
gedc0017.jpg

B. Lahey

Thanks for the tips, all.

I'll give it another go with a reference mark, and hopefully put a receiver-mounted sight on it at some point.

SIGSHR

Sounds like the dovetail might be a tad oversized as well as have uneven surfaces. I would try a second rear sight, and when you get it sighted in try some sealant on the sight and dovetail. I have a Marlin 336, been there, done that.
I have been looking for a "universal" sight pusher for a while, really haven't found one, it seems they really have to be tailored to each firearm.

Last edited: