Sighted in the slug gun today

SARuger

I haven't touched this gun since last fall. I'm always impressed at how versatile the pump shotgun is. And accurate.

Its a 870 20g Express 3" magnum with a rifled/cantilevered barrel, Nikon Omega 1.5-7x32 scope shooting 2 3/4" Fusion Sabot slugs at 100yds.

If you can read my chicken scratch you will see it started low and I adjusted it up and then back to shot 5, put 6 and 7 on top of each other! This was from a Caldwell Tack Driver front rest and some cheap rear bag. Most of my shots are at 50yds or less so I feel good if I get a shot this year.

I'm still trying to get the rifle sighted smooth bore barrel shooting rifled slugs dialed in. Its all over the place! I couldnt get it to group at 25 yards. Sabot is the way to go if you have to shoot some distance.

IMG_20150821_212355713_TOP.jpg

IMG_20150821_210716391.jpg

T. O'Heir

"...Sabot is the way to go if..." Not with a smooth bore. You need rifled slugs as daft as that sounds. And makes sure everything else is right about the shotgun too. Things being tight etc.

g.willikers

What choke are you using with the smooth barrel?
With a smooth barrel and so called rifled slugs, the best accuracy that I've found seems to be with a modified choke or barrel.
Almost as good as the rifled barrel and sabots at 50 yards or less.
Part of the problem might be due to the rifled barrel having a sight and the smooth one not.
Maybe more so than the barrels.

SARuger

G, my smooth bore is in the pic above, it has the rifle sights on it. Its made for rifled slugs and is a Remington barrel. I have no idea if its choked any or not but I'm sure it is at least a little.

SARuger

I got back to the range today and sighted in the smooth bore slug barrel. It shoots really nice using federal and remy rifled slugs

I can't shoot some of my high powered rifles this good!

50yds, the small holes are from a round of 00 buck just to see if I could get the buckshot into a deer at 50yds

IMG_20150828_230759489.jpg

Then at 75yds, I think it will kill a deer, in fact it should pile a deer right up!

IMG_20150828_230733262.jpg