sight options for Marlin 336

2damnold4this

My old 336 shoots high with the stock sights. Should I look for a higher front post or should I change out both the front sight and go to an aperture for the rear? Should I put a red dot or a scope on it?

If you have any suggestions (including specific parts), I'd be glad to hear them.

ckpj99

It's worth noting that Hornady ammo tends to print very high, especially the Lever Evolution rounds.

If these are the rounds you want to use, or if other rounds are generally shooting high, then you'll need to change sights.

You'll pretty much have to buy a higher front sight blade. You can replace the rear sights with a bunch of different options.

Williams and Marbles both make "standard" rear notch sights that mount to the existing dovetail. The Williams is fiber optic. The Marbles are just nicer standard type sights.

Lyman and Williams and Skinner (and probably some other companies) all make receiver mounted peep sights. They all work sightly differently, but they all work. These require higher front sights regardless of if your gun is printing high or not.

Marbles and Lyman both make tang mounted peep sights. You have to drill and tap an additional hole in the tang. Best to have a gunsmith do it if you don't have experience with it.

You should also note that most 30-30 rounds peak in their trajectory at 100 yards. Some standard sights are regulated to be a couple inches high at 100 yards, which means you're right on at 50 yards and 150 yards.

Scoping is pretty easy as most 336s are drilled and tapped on the receiver already.

The thought of putting a red dot on a lever gun makes me really sad, but it's possible. I want accurate iron sights on all my guns regardless of the presence of other optics.

Last edited:

2damnold4this

I was looking at the guide gun set from Skinner. Anyone had experience with these?

I hadn't considered an electronic optic on the 336 until I saw this at Skinner's website while looking for a taller front post. Kinda hard to imagine a crusty cowpoke or wool clad easterner picking up his lever gun and flipping on a switch but it did get me thinking beyond just a new front post.

dgludwig

In the interest of retaining some of the best reasons for hunting with a light carbine-the superb handling quality and fast target acquisition; I much prefer using a good receiver sight (like the Williams "FoolProof") over any scope set-up. I have optics on lots of rifles but not on the carbines I use for hunting in heavy cover, where the shots offered come short and quick.

ckpj99

The guide gun set is essentially a couple of regular Skinner parts packaged together. They are high quality. I like Skinner's versus other receiver peep sights, because the Williams and a lot of others hang over the side of the receiver. Not of fan of that look.