sight distance on S&W 686

ctjoe

Does anyone know the sight distance of 686 4" and 6" 357?

I am looking into getting one and am curious if the 6" is a better choice for range over 4" with less weight. want to compare both

Not quite sure what you are asking. The sight radius is better the longer the barrel. However, so is the weight. The 4" is a better "all purpose" barrel, and easier to handle quickly, but you'll have to hold them both to find out what feels the best in your hand.

The 686 is a great selection. What are you using the gun for?

ctjoe

on my glock the sight distance is from rear to front sight. I was going to compare it to some of my autos to compare. I know longer # is better but was curious what the 4" is. I shot the 6" and wanted to compare

Use would be range, carry is airweight 38.

spacecoast

The distance from the rear sight to the middle of the red ramp on my 6" 686 is 7-1/2".

For target shooting at anything over 15 yards the 6" will be easier and more accurate. It is a front-heavy gun for one-hand shooting, but also yields greater bullet velocities if you decide to hunt with it.

mes227

I have both 4" and longer guns (6-1/2, 7-1/2, 8-3/8 and 9-1/2). While the sight radius makes a difference in accuracy (of the shooter, not the gun), those longer barreled ones are heavier. If the gun is a back up piece for hunting then go with the shorter barrel. My favorite for that purpose is my S&W 44 Mag Mountain Gun (same as the standard 629 with a 4" tapered barrel and shortened underlug to cut about 5 oz of weight). It's easy to carry, powerful enough for most problems, and very accurate. I also have an Alaskan in 454 Casull, with a 2-3/8" barrel; great for big bears but a bit trickier at distance.

If the revolver is your primary hunting piece then go with the longer barrels. I've two SRHs, one in 44Mag with 7-1/2" and the other in 480 Ruger with 9-1/2". Both superb hunters and light enough to pack. Both are also suitable for scopes but I've not (yet) gone that way.

Thus, regardless of the caliber a longer barrel is better (within reason) for hunting, and a shorter one for secondary or defensive weapons. Either are great on the range. I'm not a 357 guy, but if I were I'd buy the S&W Model 686P, 7-shot cylinder and 4" barrel. Fantastic design and it gets great reviews. I'm not voting against the 6" barrel, just that I already have 4 long barrel guns and a 357 is a carry piece. I'd also consider the Air-lite series if it's strictly a carry gun for felonious humans.

Last edited: