Sight Configurations-What's Better??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAZ

I'm going to buy a set of night sights for my handgun. I have only had experience with the 3 dot system so far and was wondering if the Bar-Dot-Bar or the Bar-Dot configurations were any better ie. easier to pick up, align or not confuse.

I would prefer the bar-dot-bar for quicker acquisition in low light. I believe I first saw the configuration some years ago on Walt Marshall's 1911.

However, I was told that these cannot be installed into Novak low mounts. Regarding the Triji's and Mepro's for Glocks, it's a good question. Are variations available?
Rich

Mac Scott

Either bar-dot or three-dot tritium inserts can be installed in Novak lo-mounts. We send ten or more sets of these out per week.

FWIW, I used to recommend and swear by bar-dot setups. Unfortunately, the rear bars haven't withstood the test of time and I've ceased recommending them. Great when initially installed, but the bars tend to fade out very quickly and, in a very few years, are virtually indistiguishable.

They're, of course, guaranteed/warranted for fifteen years, but it's a major hassle to deal with shipping them back for replacement. All my personal guns now sport green three-dots and the fading problems have been resolved.

----Mac

Mac-
I wasn't referring to the bar-dot configuration, but the bar-dot-bar. I do have the bar-dot setup installed. As I think about it, it probably is quicker than the b-d-b, though.

Rich

Rob Pincus

I have a few handguns with a front tritium dot only. I have enjoyed this set up. I get to do more night shooting than many people, given that I can just go out after it gets dark and start blasting. At first, I was shooting high, but once you get used to how the dot "should" look it really isn't bad.

IMHO, I won't be taking too many aimed shots in the dark. I spend athe majority of my practice point shooting, most self-defense distances are very short. With front dot only, I can outfit two guns for the price of one. That's my preference for CC guns.

Mute

I personally never cared much for 3 dot, choosing plain sights. But for low light, the bar dot works great. I can align much faster.

One thing to keep in mind. If you choose 3 dot, make sure the front dot glows a different color than the rear dots. It's not difficult to confuse the dots.

mute-
The B-D-B configuration accomplishes the same function as coloring the front sight different from the rear. However, as I said earlier, after rethinking my postition, I agree that the simple Bar-Dot is quicker.
Rich

Rodmann

Has anyone installed Ashley's Big dot system? Considering at what distances a CCW pistol would be used..the big dot system seems like an option to consider.
I've recently installed a Heinie Black rear, and Tritium front on a G-19. Setup works pretty well but I'm thinking that I may change to the Ashley Big dot. Their is currently a discussion about this topic on the Gunsite API-list .
-R

Status
Not open for further replies.