Sight Alignment - 6 o'clock or not?

Do you use a 6 o'clock hold or a "bullseye" hold with your sights?

• 6 o'clock hold (front sight below point of impact)

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • Bullseye hold (front sight sits on point of impact)

Votes: 50 64.1%
  • Other method

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BillCA

I'm just curious about how others prefer their sights to be set up on their handguns.

For most of my shooting, I prefer a "bullseye" hold where the front sight is held splitting the X-ring. Where the front sight points is where the bullet hits.

Others I've known have preferred the 6 o'clock hold where the sights are held just below the X-ring. This means the point of impact is slightly above where the front sight points.

Which do you prefer?

nass

Bullseye hold for me!

Bullseye eliminates the guesswork of how low to aim for proper shot placement on non "ringed" targets. Defensive shootings don't give the time for getting out the slide rule and protractor.

mikejonestkd

I have only one pistol sighted in for a 6 o clock hold. its my target .22 that I use in our league shooting.

All the others are bullseye.

swk314

I hold the sights with a bullseye hold. I shoot my XD with a 6 o'clock hold because that's what the manual says it's sighted in for.

deadin

Depends what you are planning to shoot at. Center hold for non-target shooting, 6 o'clock for ringed targets. One reason for center hold for non-target shooting is that the size of the target is going to vary and it's much easier to just aim at the center of it. The 6 o'clock hold requires that the target size is uniform from shot to shot i.e. a standard ring type target. When the 'bullseye' contains a 7, 8, 9 and 10 ring, all in black it's easy to 'lose' the front sight in the black and not be able to consistantly repeat the sight picture from shot to shot. -- All of us can't see those thin little white lines between the rings at 25 or 50 yards--:D

inkie

Bullseye, This hold ensures that even if there is slight movement [which is almost always.} you will tend to shoot closer to dead center.

exprt9

Bulleye hold! So far, I have been hitting my shots at POA is POI. Holds true especially with my Taurus PT145Pro with the Heini straight eight sights. When shooting my 1911 and my Beretta 92 I use the 6 o'clock hold but with the rest of my guns...strictly bullseye hold.

Tom2

I do 6 with a black bull at 25 yards, as it is easier for me to see black sights against the light background. With a standard target. I don't necessarily adjust my sights to hit in the center of the bull. Top of sight POI is fine. Otherwise I get the larger orange dots at the stationary store that are maybe an inch and a half diameter. Put those in the center of the bull. Or even occasionally at the bottom of the bull. Now those are easy to see and contrast the dark sights on. If I am aiming at the bottom of the bull and the bullets impact in the lower portion of the bull, that is fine with me. I am not shooting for score, just testing accuracy. Rifles is different though, if they have a scope instead of iron sights. Then I put the orange dot on whatever I have for a backing and try to put the crosshairs on the dot. And adjust for impact there or abouts. You aint gonna miss anything shooting at 6 if the windage is on, unless you are facing a terrorist mouse. Unless you are eagle eyes, see if the orange dots don't quickly tighten your groups.

hj28rules

6 o'clock mostly, but it depends on what I am shooting. My MKIII .22 and Ruger P95DC require a 6 o'clock sight picture. My Para Tac 4 a bulls eye, CZ75B a bull's eye and the little CZ83 (.380) a bulls eye.

My pellet guns only require a 'possum or a racoon anywhere n the sight picture.

LM...Ft. Worth, Tx.

Abndoc

I use 6 o'clock hold for all shooting. Never really thought about it, it's just the way I was taught 40+ years ago.

sewerman

i was taught the 6 o'clock hold which was and maybe still is the way the navy and marines taught gunnery back in WWII.

my time in the armed forces things went to center mass for small arms.(army & air force).

i've found shooting combat style the center mass makes more sense. but for off hand target shooting i still prefer the old standard 6 o'clock method.:)

cje1980

I always like my POI to be the bullseye. I've never been comfortable with a 6 o'clock hold position. It seems too specialized for me. I like to be able to hit at different distances and a 25 yd zero for a 6 o'clock hold confuses me too much at different distances.