Sig220 -vs- Glock30 -vs- HK USP ???

oldcars

I am thinking about buying a compact .45acp and I am curious what the general opinion is on Glock30, Sig 220compact anf HK usp compact. I have never owned or shot a Sig or HK but I have heard and read good things. The gun will be used for everyday packing, it will get dusty and full of lint, and I reload, not hot loads, but I have alot of .45 lead bullets........

Uncle Malice

To shoot lead through the G30, you will need an aftermarket barrel.

That said, it's an excellent gun for carry. I carry a G29(10mm, same size) frequently.

The P220 compact is a good gun, but I found it to just be a little too small in the grip for me. Definitely handle one before you make that choice. I would also recommend looking at the P220 Carry instead. Full size grip with a slightly shorter slide.

The USP Compact 45 is a great gun. you might also check out the HK45C. It's a little more expensive, but it has a better trigger and ergonomics than the USP.

All 3 of these guns are very, very good guns. You can probably get the G30, Lone Wolf barrel for shooting reloads, night sights, and some magazine extended baseplates for your pinky for less than either of the other 2 choices.

GONIF

You can shoot hard cast lead out of a Poly/hex/oct barrel,but you must clean it ever 100 rounds or it will load up with lead. Of the pistols you mentioned the H&K USP45c is the best all around CCW pistol. They are pricey and so are the mags. Nothing wrong with Sig or Glock . Not everyone can warm up to the Glock safe action trigger. ;)

vvanders

Was looking at compact 45s a while back and ended up settling on the 220 Compact:

6125854694_6e7ff19ed1_z.jpg

Really like mine, like other's have mentioned make sure you get your hands on one first. While they are a tad small in the grip, I have large hands it still points and shoots great.

I usually carry in a MTAC without any issues, the gun is a bit on the heavy side but hides nicely:

6176534451_7deb2a33de_z.jpg

chris in va

To shoot lead through the G30, you will need an aftermarket barrel.

Not sure about the G30, but I put almost a thousand LRN through my 21SF with literally zero leading. As a matter of fact, it showed a clean barrel after one particular 250 round session.

The polygonal rifling Glock uses isn't the same as with other types. It's more of a smoothbore with some rounded 'speedbumps' to grab the bullet with.

Billy Shears

Since you didn't include an option for my favorite, the S&W M&P 45 (in either the mid-size or compact) my vote goes to the HK.

The Glock would probably be a fine choice if you weren't planning to shoot cast bullets, but since you are, I guess that option is off the table. That leaves the HK and the Sig, and based on my own bad experience I can't in good conscience recommend the Sig. So I vote HK.

Good luck with whichever one you choose.

TxFlyFish

The USP is a joy to shoot. It cycles like an AK. The large frame glocks control the 45 remarkably well, the gun feels tame while the p220 can really hurt your grip. All of course imho

BarryLee

I would also recommend looking at the P220 Carry instead.

I have a P220 Carry model which I carry every day. The gun is a solid performer with several thousand rounds through it and zero issues. The gun is a very easy shooter, accurate and easy to maintain.

oldandslow

OC, 10/26/11

I have two of your choices (the HK-USP-45 compact and the p245 which is the same as the present 220 compact) and have shot the Glock 30. I own several other Glocks and since their grip angle is different from all my other pistols it never pointed naturally. The HK-USPc is an excellent gun but carries a bit bigger than the 245/220 compact. The DA trigger pull is long, hard and stacks severely before breaking. The SA trigger pull is average. The Sig has a better DA and SA trigger pull. The HK carries 8+1 rounds, the Sig 6+1 rounds. The Sig also takes p220 8 round mags. Mags for the HK are about $50 each, the Sig mags much cheaper. I had trouble finding simple parts for the HK but have had no trouble finding parts for the Sig. I use a high thumbs grip and with the HK my thumb rides the safety-decocker lever. I was getting about 2% unintentional decocks while firing with the HK so I put a left handed safety/decocker lever on the right side and removed the left sided lever.

The best way to decide is to hold and fire each one. I use the Sig 245/220 compact for most everyday carry. I use the HK-USP-45c as my jungle/brush gun. It is always getting wet via either rain, sweat or wading through creeks and the plastic frame holds up well to the water. I have had some rust on the slide-release lever and hammer though. It takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

No matter which you decide you will be getting an excellent pistol. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

PS- Gunbroker has some good deals on the Sig p245, some in the $475 range in good shape with the slide either stainless or hard-chromed. Even though I have one I am tempted to buy another. I got both my p245 and HK-USP-45c for about $550 used off Gunbroker and have thousands of rounds through each.

Mrgunsngear

G30 gets my vote. Many say you can't shoot lead through Glock barrels, and to be fair the owners manual says so, but even if you ruined the barrel you can get a replacement for under $150 so it'd still be cheaper than the others. I have a G30 that has been 100% reliable with all ammo for over 10 years now with very little wear of any kind. It was my first handgun and I'll never get rid of it :D

That said, both Sig and HK make quality pistols and I believe you'll love any of them that you choose. I've fired both and would pick the HK between the two of them.

Billy Shears

even if you ruined the barrel you can get a replacement for under $150

Frankly, it's not the barrel I'm worried about ruining when I use ammo that the manufacturer specifically and unequivocally warns against. I doubt I could find a replacement hand for that price.

I've been present twice when guns blew apart. One was a Glock, the other wasn't.

I wasn't the shooter in either instance and honestly, though I know the owner had a practice of shooting cast bullets in this pistol, I don't know the specific cause of the "Ka-Boom" that day. I'm **** glad however, that I wasn't holding onto it when it let loose.

In the case of the Glock, the barrel was ruined of course, but the slide near the ejection port suffered unfixable damage as well and the front sight launched into orbit. That's going to cost the owner a lot more than $150.

Last edited:

oldcars

Well, I bought an HK USP 45 compact. I found one locally used (but it looks brand new) for $550 and it came with the original box, two mags and a nice Ted Blocker holster. I still might try the other two options some day, I like my Glock 19 and I havn't owned a Sig yet....now for my next question:

Will Mags from a full sized USP .45 function in the compact ?

Uncle Malice

Awesome. Congrats!

I'm not sure about the .45, but I know that mags from the USP 9/40 will NOT work in the USP Compact 9/40.... the full size uses plastic mags, similar to Glock while the compact uses steel mags, similar to... well... most everyone else. :)

Enjoy the gun and let us know how she shoots! Also... per proper Internet Etiquette, yo uare required to post photos of any newly acquired firearms...

AZGlock13

Which USP45c did you get, the DA/SA model with the safety selector lever or the LEM model without the lever. I have the USP45c LEM model, great carry gun. I also have a G30 and a P220 compact SAS DAK. I also recommend them as well for carry. As to the full size 10rd and 12rd USP45 mags fitting into the USP45c, I believe the answer is no (if I remember reading right, the full size USP45 mags are too thick to go into the USP45c's grip). Pretty sure I read that on HKPro. I also remember reading (pretty sure) that the 10rd HK45 mags will fit and feed properly into both the USP45c and HK45c, so you do have that option.

Paul K

I carry a USP Compact 45 daily. It's almost ten years old (bought it new, AC date code) and it has yet to jam or fail I any way. It's been in my pants, under my sweaty armpits, rained on, and battled Michigan winters. It has yet to rust. It just sits there, like a good friend ready to protect me if the unfortunate need shall ever arise (knock on wood that it does not).

HKGuns

Will Mags from a full sized USP .45 function in the compact ?

No, you must buy the USP45C magazines or the 10 rounders for the HK45C which are a lot larger than the stock USP45C magazines. You may not find them comfortable to carry as they make the handle longer.

The three options available to you are on this page.

HKPARTS

Congrats on your new pistol, that is a good price and I'm sure you'll be 100% satisfied.

dgludwig

I would also recommend looking at the P220 Carry instead.

I have a P220 Carry model which I carry every day. The gun is a solid performer with several thousand rounds through it and zero issues. The gun is a very easy shooter, accurate and easy to maintain.

Same here-and that's with the much maligned internal extractor.

DBLAction454

HK USPc 45 or the HK45C. I have a fullsize USP 45 and IMHO its second to none to all 45s except very high end 1911s. The HK45C I think is a better choice than the USP but either way my vote is for HK