Sig X5 magazines (9mm)

TXAZ

I'm having some difficulty finding Sig X5 magazines in 15 - 20 rounds that are actually in stock.
Any suggestions for 9mm?

Last edited:

Walt Sherrill

I had an X-5 in .40 and I got some of the standard SIG mags, like these from CDNN.

I had to trim just a little plastic off the top of the baseplate, so they'd lock in place. There's plenty of excess material at the top, so there's not much risk of screwing things up.

(I applied masking tap about a 1/16th of an inch below the top, and trimmed away the upper part of the base plate with a Dremel cutting wheel.)

Except for the color of the base (black rather than silver) and the need to be trimmed just a bit, they seemed identical. I suspect 9mm versions would need the same minor adjustment. (The .40 version may work in a 9mm SIG -- they do in some other guns, but not all. I don't have a .40 SIG mag at the moment, so can't verify that.)

MGP2264015AFC_1.jpg

Here's a link to the CDNN site -- the .40 version is on page 1 and A 9mm version is on the same. One with an extended base plate 9mm 20 rounder (which looks similar to the .40 mag) is on page 2: http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html?SID=h8foh7lh94lh9c22b1h78hfis3&brand=363 There are some others on those pages that might also work.

Last edited:

Skans

Walt, that's some good information. I too would like to find a decent source of reasonable priced magazines for my Sig X-5 9mm. I might try this.

rt11002003

When I bought my X-5 L1 to replace my X-5 Competition, SIG said the standard mags weren't available. Sent me the flat base plate 10 round mags without a price adjustment. Those mags didn't work then and still won't work in my L1.

I found the correct size mags at TopGun. They have a black base plate, not silver. They weren't cheap at $89.95, but they do the job. This was back in Feb.
Try them at www.topgunsupply.com .

Walt Sherrill

I'd argue that if they weren't silver, they weren't X-5 mags, (That's an assertion without proof, but you can see the pictures above, those black-based mags were identical to my X-Five in .40 silver-based mags, except for the base color.) I think I paid $32 plus shipping -- which at CDNN's $9.99 flat rate, was $5 each.

Will a SIG .40 mag hold 9mm rounds? Never thought to try...

rt11002003

Walt Sherill, all I know is that TopGun advertised them as X-5 mags. And, they work. Which is more than I can say about the mags furnished by SIG when I bought the X-5. Those SIG furnished mags still don't work in my X-5.

I wonder if the X-6 mags are the same as the X-5?

Walt Sherrill

I wonder if the X-6 mags are the same as the X-5?

Visit the SIG Forum for the definitive answer. That said, I think the principal difference between the X-5s and X-6s is barrel length. Can't imagine the mags having to be different.

Rinspeed

Sent me the flat base plate 10 round mags without a price adjustment. Those mags didn't work then and still won't work in my L1.

Send me a PM if you want to get rid of them. I'm in NY so 10 rounders are a must for me.

marine6680

Will the mecgar 226 mags not work?

They offer extended buttplate versions as well as a flush fit that holds more than 15rds.

Skans

Except for the color of the base (black rather than silver) and the need to be trimmed just a bit, they seemed identical. I suspect 9mm versions would need the same minor adjustment. (The .40 version may work in a 9mm SIG -- they do in some other guns, but not all. I don't have a .40 SIG mag at the moment, so can't verify that.)

I ordered and received a Mecgar 20 round 9mm magazine. It looks exactly like the one in Walt's picture. I ended up trimming off a tiny bit of plastic on the top corners of the base plate and the magazine fits perfectly. It protrudes slightly (less than 1/2") from the magwell, but that's fine for a 20 round magazine. In fact, I tried replacing the plastic base pad with the aluminum one from my X-Five magazine and the magazine fits flush with the magwell! Probably would hold 1 less round with the aluminum base pad, which makes it identical (or nearly so) to the original magazine.

Also, FWIW, my original X-Five magazine is made by Mecgar as well. The only difference is the one from the factory is polished and the aftermarket Mecgar is not polished. It feeds perfectly - problem solved; X-Five magazines available for about $35. Now, if I could only find some attractive +2 base pads (aluminum) to replace the plastic one!

Thanks Walt!!!:)