Sig X-Five vs. S&W 952

bac1023

I did a small amount of accuracy bench testing while at the range yesterday with the two target pistols I had with me. While its very amateur testing, I greatly enjoy pitting the most accurate handguns against each other and determining which shoots better for me on any given day. While I’m personally not the best shot in the world, I use block rests to take as much of the human element out of the equation as possible. The distances were 35 feet (about 12 yards) and 25 yards. Just about all the groups were five shots. The ammo used was cheap (Perfecta and Federal Aluminum).

More specifically the two pistols were an X-Five L1 and a 6" 952-2. Both were built about the same time period (8 to 10 years ago). As you can see, the S&W had the advantage of a longer barrel and sight radius. As much as I love the 952, I always felt the Sig had a slight edge in accuracy, so I was trying to even it out some. My X-Five outperformed my 5" 952 on a couple of occasions by a small margin.

I always found the 952 to be a nicer looking pistol and maybe a little more interesting, due to its rarity in comparison. However, there’s no denying the X-Five’s capabilities at the range. The trigger on the X-Five is also a little better, in my opinion.

The following are the groups I shot with each and an average from the two distances. Granted, I know the sample size is small. I didn’t have much time to do more. Also, I fully realize that both these pistols are capable of much better accuracy than what is listed below. However, my eyesight has its limitations, especially at 25 yards. A ransom rest would have surely yielded much better results.

35 feet

10 shots at 1.5"

5 shots at 1.125"

5 shots at 1.75"

5 shots at 1.625"

5 shots at 1.5" (4 shots under an inch)

bac1023

5 shots at 1.625"

5 shots at 1.25"

5 shots at 1.25"

25 yards

5 shots at 2.125"

5 shots at 2.125"

5 shots at 2.625" (4 shots at an inch)

Averages

952 at 35 feet: 1.5"
952 at 25 yards: 2.67"

X-Five at 35 feet: 1.08"
X-Five at 25 yards: 2.29"

This was a very small sample size, but the Sig clearly outperformed the S&W in my hands. As mentioned, I used a block rest to take out the shooter variable as much as I could. While both are exceptionally accurate, I give Sig the slight edge here. Its not the first time either. My X-Five edged out my 5" 952-1 also in a couple of tests. What I really need to do is pit the X-Five against my 5" and 6" PPC9 pistols. I think those are the most accurate 9mm pistols that S&W ever built.

At any rate, take it for what its worth. Its just one guy and a few groups. I actually wanted the 952 to win, because I prefer it over the Sig in general. However, that wasn’t the case this time.

Thanks for reading.

Sevens

Does seem like a clear victor. But I'm with you... no doubt whatsoever which pistol I would rather have. While I have never had the pleasure of shooting the Sig, I'm just not a Sig guy.

Have to admit that I would very much love the experience of shooting a P210, but I don't know how I'm going to get that chance. While I definitely find it in me to dig deep and pay some real money for the S&W Performance Center pistols, I just don't see a desire in me to spend similar money (well, honestly... MORE) on a P210. And for an X-Five... nope, never gonna happen.

When you do pull the 6" PPC-9 out, if you can remember...
Maybe try throwing the first round out of the magazine in to the berm. My buddy's 6" PPC-9 absolutely does that "first shot" deal where it just seems to want to land outside the rest of them. Keeping in mind that it's a mind-blowing precision handgun and we have to shoot it off a rest to actually be aware that it's doing it... but this is a phenomenon we can repeat. My 5" PPC-9 on the other hand, doesn't seem to suffer from the "first shot" malady.

But again, to be fair, we have to be shooting from a seated, rested position to actually be able to notice it on paper. We typically rest them from 10-12 yards. And before anyone gets the idea that we spend each trip bench resting handguns at short distance... haha, -NO- we simply do this a couple times a year with different handguns so that we know we can take the handgun out of the loop and later, on the "predictable lighting and environmentally stable" indoor range, we can exercise actual shooting skill with a baseline of confidence of what the handgun itself is capable of doing. I'm sure for me a lot of it is mental, but when I have proven with a bench rest and good paper targets that the pistol will do exactly what it is asked to do every time, it's just one less thing in my head to cloud my goal when I'm shooting.

It's actually quite enjoyable. :D

rt11002003

Nice shooting! Can't speak for the S&W 952, but really like the SIGS. Love both of my S&W Model 41's, hard to beat. I shoot an X-5 L1 and X-6 L1 frequently; both are excellent guns with super triggers. My SIG p210 6 is a pleasure to handle and shoot, but I don't believe it has the accuracy of the X Series guns.

I bought myself a STI Target Master 1911 in 9mm, the one with a 6" barrel. It is at least as accurate as the X-6 and, for me, a sweeter trigger; slightly heavier pull, but a cleaner, crisper break.

I'd like to try the S&W 952. If it is close to a Model 41, I'd be tempted to buy one. I bought a S&W 986 PC revolver when they came out. WOW! What a surprise; I wasn't expecting it to be so good.

TXAZ

Woohoo Sig! I have an X-5, and found it incredibly accurate, and a very nice feel.

(I think the Mastershop series secret is they magnetize the bullets to pull it to the X :)

Walt Sherrill

Re: throwing the first shot into the berm.

I found the same with almost any gun I've shot on target. The first shot fired always seems to go away from where the subsequent rounds group.

I'm sure it has to do with the differences in the mechanical process when you're hand-cycling the first round and the gun is doing it for the rest of the shots.

----
I thought I had replied to this, but don't see it. I'd like to see a comparison of the SIG P-210-6 or 7 vs. the X-Five.

I had a S&W 52-2, and a P-210-6 at the same time, and they were close, but I think the 210-6 might've been a bit better. I also had an X-Five in .40, but it was oversprung, and I couldn't get that improved (after contacting SIG), and eventually traded it away.

My P-210-6 came with a factory proof target showing a 5-shot group of roughly 1.75" at 50 meters (which is about 55 yards!) I could never do that -- unless I had a Ransom Rest -- but better shoots might come close than I could.

Beautiful guns, all of them.

-----------------
P.S. I see I did respond, but it was on THE HIGH ROAD; same discussion/topic on a different forum. Forgive my redundancy. :)

Last edited:

BigJimP

I'm not familiar with the 952....but I do have an X5 L1 model in .40 s&w....and they are accurate / and I have the adjustable trigger on mine set down to about 2.5 lbs ( they adjust from 2.0 to 4.0 lbs ).

Nice comparison, if I see a 952 around i'll take a look at it.

rock185

Two very accurate pistols, and I always enjoy your reports. I've owned versions of both guns tested, all 5" though. I wonder if different ammunition or different shooter might change, or even reverse, the results. When testing for accuracy, I also try to reduce as much of the human factor as possible by shooting from a rest. More and more necessary as I get older. My 952 and X-5AR were both about equal as far as I was able to determine from my amateur testing, while my 952-1 never shot quite as well. It sure would be fun to have a Ransom Rest to sort out the, probably quite small, differences in accuracy between some of these very accurate pistols.

Sevens

Gunbroker is truly the only place I know of that gives you a regular chance to find 952's to purchase. And when one shows up that is "new" or otherwise mint, unfired, with original fancy case and all the different papers and such that came with it... folks pay a LOT of money for them. On another forum we sometimes have discussions about those price tags and there's always folks who insist that the prices are "inflated." I believe when you consider the original MSRP, how many actually exist -and- the fact that they are gone forever from production, I wouldn't agree that the market price is inflated.

But I would suggest that if you want to try a 952, don't pay $2500-$3000 for a mint, NIB one only to shoot it. Instead, find one for less money that has been shot. The build quality and longevity is NO issue. It is quite unlikely to be worn out, shot-out or "loose" from use. My PPC-9 is a fantastic example; I'm either the 3rd or 4th owner and I know what the two previous owners claimed as a round count and my pistol is ridiculous. Nothing else feels quite the same to me, and my pistol is WELL used.

Sevens

This is just REALLY one of those times I wish you were local to me. We could have have real poker game with yours and a couple of mine. ;)

bac1023

This is just REALLY one of those times I wish you were local to me. We could have have real poker game with yours and a couple of mine.

Well, you're not THAT far from SE PA. We have big shoots twice a year and you're certainly welcome to attend. We have people driving just as far to make these range days. You'll see and shoot some spectacular handguns.