Sig X-Five prices have skyrocketed....

Skans

Sig X-Fives have unfortunately become rare and overly expensive guns. I have the Competition model, but had hoped to someday add a Level 1. I see these now listed for between $3,000-$4,000. This is just too rich for me. Are the X-Fives now becoming the new Pythons, relegated to nothing more than safe queens?:(

lifesizepotato

I shoot my X6 Supermatch almost every range trip. I can't imagine having such a good performer and letting it gather dust in the safe. If it were a historical collectible then sure, but it was made to tear it up at the range.

Skans

I can't imagine having such a good performer and letting it gather dust in the safe.

I agree; my X-Five is my favorite guns to shoot. I would really like another one.

Morgo

I don't think I'd call them rare, they are still a factory produced model. Just maybe a little harder for you guys to get a new one these days.

PzGren

Ever since SIG Sauer in Eckernfoerde lost their export license, the factory laid off 150 of their 200 workers and is moving pistol production to America. Workers got fired by a "social plan" and not by qualification, leaving the custom shop in shambles and resulting in very low production with a higher return rate.

Morgo, that export ban is not only for the U.S.

Morgo

Morgo, that export ban is not only for the U.S.

I know. Yet we can still get them. Not sure how the importer has it worked out though the wait is around 12 months.

rt11002003

Sold my X-6 L1 several months ago. Super pistol, highly accurate, just a too heavy for me. My first X-Series pistol was the X-5 Competition. Also, a great gun. Wanted a X-5 Level 1 for the adjustable trigger. It has served me well. Accurate and well balanced. It's just a little large for my hands and heavy for my 79 year old muscles. Put it on GB about two months ago. Bids were too low; took it off. Been shooting it everytime I go to the range. Most of the time pitting it against my CZ75 Tactical Sport, another large, heavy gun for me. The X-5 trigger has a smoother takeup and gun appears better machined than the CZ. However, both pistols' triggers have an equal break. On one trip I might shoot the TS better, then the next time I do better with the X-5.

I've exchanged emails with one source of X-5s here in the US. He's importing from a private source in Germany. His guns are really expensive. The story behind SIG Germany losing their export license is interesting, involves both the US and German government units' actions.

I hope the US made X-Series, when they surface, are as good as the German made ones.

PzGren

Easy answer; he goes through a German dealer who exports them. The guns are still available in Germany but when I was at the SIG Sauer plant last December, the employee parking lot was pretty empty and from a source inside I heard that they have a higher warranty return rate than before.

Export from Germany is actually very easy for a dealer. They can get a general export license from BAFA and then don"t have to apply for every single gun.

Skans

I would like to just get a Level 1 trigger system - I don't need the entire gun. I sure wish I could get this from Sig somehow.

rt11002003

Skans, when I had my X-5 Competition, I tried to get a L1 trigger module. SIG folks told me the trigger modules were not interchangeable.

Skans

Skans, when I had my X-5 Competition, I tried to get a L1 trigger module. SIG folks told me the trigger modules were not interchangeable.

Now that is interesting. I wonder why? The frame is drilled for for the adjustable trigger. What could possibly be different that would make it incompatible? Seems like the identical frame to me.

Rinspeed

Now that is interesting. I wonder why? The frame is drilled for for the adjustable trigger. What could possibly be different that would make it incompatible? Seems like the identical frame to me.

Very good chance that is their way of saying; no way in hell we want Bubba changing trigger groups in our pistols. Bubba used in a general sense, not towards rt11002003. :D

Skans

Very good chance that is their way of saying; no way in hell we want Bubba changing trigger groups in our pistols. Bubba used in a general sense

That's what I was thinking too. Or, perhaps they just don't want to sell their trigger systems separate from the X-Five Level 1's. Heck, I can't really blame them.

rt11002003

SIG must be consistent with presenting their info. I went to my local gunsmith to see what he might be able to do with the trigger, ie, lighten the pull. He told me he couldn't work on the module and that SIG told him the modules weren't interchangeable. Who knows what the situation really is. I learned to not believe anything said by them when trying to buy a p210 Super Target Legend.