Sig vs Glock

Willie Lowman

Not the typical which is better thread.

I currently own two P226 and one Glock 26 (sold all the .40's 22, 23, 24c).

I like the Sigs better. The way they feel in my hand, the way they point... the P226 is just the handgun for me. Except I shoot Glocks better. With my little 26 I can shoot a tighter group at 25 yards than I can with either P226. I want to blame the DA/SA trigger. I have done the quarter/washer dry fire drill plenty of times with my Sigs. I have fired thousands of rounds through my older P226. It's not an issue of inexperience or unfamiliarity.

The Glock grip angle has always seemed to steep for me. Even after shooting the 24c in competition for a few years I would always be pointing high after drawing from the holster. I also don't like the mushy half-cock trigger of a Glock. Yet when it comes to putting holes in paper, I have found that the Glock is the best tool for that job.

I know the solution to this is to buy a few more Glocks and get over it. However this goes against the common wisdom of finding the gun that feels best in your hand.

turtlehead

I don't own any Glocks but have shot a lot of them. For some reason I shoot the 26 very well. The rest I shoot very poorly. Can't explain why. Such a fat little odd gun.

Lohman446

Feel is drastically overrated. Consider performance after a thousand rounds. That being said I expect timed drills would reveal you shoot the Glock better because it is unique compared to the other guns you shoot and this forces better concentration along with slightly lower speeds

JDBerg

Lohmann446: said:
Feel is drastically overrated. Consider performance after a thousand rounds.

Agreed; trigger control, sight picture, and sight alignment & plenty of live & dry fire practice will dictate how well you shoot a given handgun. Balance and grip fit can affect the way you shoot, but not nearly as much as the trigger control and sight alignment & picture. I can pick up any of my (5) Sigs or my (3) Glocks and shoot these all pretty well since I’ve practiced a lot with all of them. And I have a Walther PPS-M2 that I definitely shoot better than the Glock 26 I used to have, since (IMHO) the trigger break and the sights are better, and I practice with the Walther a lot more than I ever did with that G-26.

Northof50

Death of a Salesman - Sounds like emotion is trying to override reality. Sounds like you "want" to like the Sig more for whatever reason, but the reality is you manipulate the Glock better.

Get on with the Glock, or simply retrain using the Sig. There was a time when there was nothing I shot better than a steel 1911. Now, I can shoot my Glocks as well. The 1911 still feels better. But, the Glocks simply work better for me.

wizzamen

Normally I would say just continue training with the Sig till you get better, but it seems you have tried that. I would definitely go with the Glock if you perform better with it. I have had similar experience with Glock and I think the Glock grip angle while not being the most comfortable to hold, really helps in the accuracy department.

If we lived in the Star Wars universe:

The Sigs are the Jedi, and the Glocks are part of the dark side. It seems the dark side is calling you Willie Lowman, don't fight it. All the cool characters are part of the dark side :cool:

reynolds357

All the modern duty /military grade weapons are reliable enough. You have to either buy the one you shoot best or learn to shoot the one you have. The pistol I naturally shoot is the CZ 75. The 75SP01 is an extension of my arm. I do not even need sights on it for IDPA type shooting.

Jim Watson

I tried hard to like the Sig family but could not get up to speed with the type.
I still have the guns, they are safe and reliable house guns, but for speed and accuracy I do better with S&W, CZ, and 1911.
Shoot what performs best, not what you think you ought to like.

rodfac

Interesting discussion....I rented a Glock 17 out at Front Sight for their 4-day defensive handgun course, several years ago, choosing to learn to shoot that much-maligned plastic gun from the experts...wonder of wonder, I shot Distinguished with it, won the mano a mano steel shoot-off with it, but never really warmed up to its 'blocky' feel. I'll readily admit that in the 600 rounds of training that we did out there, I learned to adjust my grip to accommodate its tendency to shoot low in my hands. Training and sole use of any gun, handgun, rifle or shotgun will teach you to make it work. The old adage, 'fear the man with only one gun, 'cause he most probably knows how to use it!"

I've always been a die-hard 1911/Browning Hi Power advocate...and have carried/shot them for over 50 years now in civilian and military applications. That said, I still prefer their grip feel, especially the Hi Power, to any other handgun. And I carry one or the other frequently when going to "town". In an OWB holster of Avenger or Tom Three Persons design, they're about as perfect a defensive handgun that's carried daily, as I can imagine.

But there's a side to me the will admit to liking Sig's DA/SA trigger type for home defensive use...one of our most frequent bed-side arms here on the farm, is a Sig P226 Mk25 with a light clamped to the rail. In my own mind, that DA trigger, immediately available in the darkness and fear of a home invasion is reassuring, and safer (again in my opinion) than my much loved 1911's. It's the weight of that first trigger pull in DA mode, when one is still rousing from deep sleep...followed by the SA mode of 2nd shots etc. The thought of loosing off a SA shot from a correspondingly fairly light trigger is too much while still waking up...as is any thumb safety manipulation...the Sig's ready but not TOO ready if you get my drift?

So how 'bout the Glock...ok I guess it should perform that self same DA trigger-feel in a night time/half awake scenario...but, in my case, long years of doing it the other way 1911 style, just won't leave my subconscious. Again, training is every thing, and it can be done, especially by a shooter who's not so set in their ways to overcome the muscle/mind memory of past training. Plus, the Sigs just feel right in my hands, and in actual trails, in complete darkness, while dry-fire point shooting with them, I find that a Sig centers up just like my 1911's.. the Glocks just don't. At across the bedroom distances, they point too low to be effective...not so with the 1911's nor my Sigs.

Lastly, while the Sig's force a more demanding manual of arms on a defensive shooter...Glocks in contrast are almost revolver simplicity itself...as easy as you're going to get in a big capacity auto. For me, and for that all-important first shot, the Sig's do it as well as my 1911's.

HTH's and congratulations if you've followed these old-shooter meanderings this far. Rod

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

"...the gun that feels best..." It's actually the gun that fits your hand best. The feel's best part is just a by-product. Shooting better trumps the feel every time though.
The Glocks feel kind of slippery? They do to me too. Fixed with a Pachmayr Grip Glove.(it's even called 'Tactical" by the marketing types.) Runs about $12.

pblanc

Well, we are all different. I have two SIG P229s and two P320s. I also have one Glock, a Gen 4 model 19.

Any of the SIGs feel better in my hand and point more naturally than the Glock, even after modifying the Glock frame.

And guess what? I shoot the SIGs better than the Glock.

BIGR

Gota say I am partial to the Sig hammer fired pistols such as the P226 and P229. Own two P226's one in 9MM and the other in .357 Sig. Have one P229 DAK in .357 Sig.

Own a Model 26 and Model 31 Glock. On any given day I can out shoot the Glock 26 with either one of the P226's, naturally it is probably due to a bigger pistol and longer sight plane. I have not shot the Model 31 yet, but just for the sake of apples to apples one day I am going to get the P226 and Model 31 out there at my range and see which one shoots the best. The Glock 26 is my main carry gun and occasionally in the winter I will carry the P226's. That being said I trust my life to either one of the Glock's or Sigs. They generally go bang every time, no issues except sometimes at the range I hit the magazine release on the Glock 26 with my big ole hands and have a malfunction.

I wouldn't mind trying a Sig P320 or P365 to see how those striker fired pistols feel.

In my opinion (yea, everyone has one) the Glock and the Sig pistols are ranked in the top 3. There are probably as good or equal pistols out there like the CZ, FN, HK, Ruger and some others and they might work better for some folks. I have shot Berettas and Smith M&P's but at the end of the day the Glock and Sig worked better for me.

Sometimes it all boils down to what a person is the most comfortable with.

L-2

Sell, don't sell. Keep, get rid of. Practice even more with the SIG, less with the Glock. You might even go to a different brand/model someday.

The options are virtually endless. Look, nobody here really cares what you decide to use and for what unknown purpose except you. Only you can decide whether shooting a tighter group at 25 yards with a specific handgun is the best or only factor to make a decision. For you, that specific P226 might be a good 15 yard gun or carry gun. Each individual has different factors in choosing, liking, or carrying a specific handgun. 25 yard groups; 15 yard groups; split times; action types; plastic vs. metal; feel; size; capacity; are some of these factors.

For some of us, there was no choice other than being as good as one can be with what was mandatorily issued to us. We didn't have to like it. We just had to use it.

The P226 does have more capacity (in 9mm, comparing both with standard mag caps.) and has that DA/SA trigger & hammer some people prefer specifically for AIWB carry, whereas those people won't carry a Glock in the AIWB fashion.

And unless you have and have shot every P226 on the planet, perhaps your specific P226 is indeed less accurate than that specific G26. I have heard of specific reports of a specific single action P226 Legend just not being accurate in the hands of a specific Range Master I know. He's typically very accurate with any handgun he picks up.

I've got both brands and prefer my Glocks. But that's just me. I've not sold off my SIGs as I do want to stay proficient with what I've got, although they don't get much carry time other than carrying to the range to shoot them.

Let us know what you decide if there is even indeed a decision to make. Right now, this is more of a snap-shot of your journey in handgun ownership.

ritepath

No you don't have to get over it and buy more glocks. There are other brands out there....Try M&P or CZ for instance. Chances are you'll drop sig and glock altogether and never look back.

I remember buying a G26 because all my operator buddies told me I must own a glock or I was dumb. After trying the goofy fat short gripped little thing for about a month it went down the road, and was eventually replaced. I've shot just about every glock out there (and loved my G20) but don't buy into the hype that only glock is worth of self defense, there really are other brands. I'm down to one sig (p220) but the new 365 offering may just be something I need to look into. It'll be hard to beat the results I get at 20 yards with my Shield, but I'm willing to try it out. My latest gun is a P-01 and it's just awesome but it's more than a tad heavy and bulky for CC.

Hammerhead

I would be pretty happy about that level of success with the tiny G-26.

My best groups have always come from the biggest autos.

Shot the G-20 best of all Glocks despite the huge grip (or maybe because of it?).

The USP 45 felt like a rough sawn 2X4, but I shot my very best 50 yard auto pistol groups with it.

Have you tried the G-19? that was a pretty good combination of ergonomics and accuracy for me.

Whistlebritches

I have literally thousands of hours real world training with the Sig P226/228,Glock 19 and of course the Beretta M9,US Navy Special Warfare(SWCC).Hands down the Glock is the weapon I trust,it's what I shoot best and mainly in some of the worst situations,rain,snow,saltwater,mud or sand it has never let me down.I know we're not discussing the Beretta but I think it needs to be said as often as possible.It's a great infantryman's weapon ........given time to step behind cover and clear malfunctions is a must with this weapon.In CQB situations I prefer hand to hand over the M9.

Brownstone322

These kinda threads always befuddle me a little bit. Why the recurrent references to 25+ yards? I shoot enough to know what’s up, and I never see anyone do that. I was in the range Thursday night, and everyone in there with a handgun was shooting at maybe 5, 7, 10, 12 yards, same as ever.

I mean, who shoots a tiny Glock 26 at 25 yards?

Lohman446

Buy / keep / carry whatever high quality major manufacturer gun you want for whatever reason. If you are not competent in a couple thousand rounds get high quality training because it is unlikely the fault is the gun