Sig V Crown

15plus1

I would have done a search first but my phone will not allow we to open the search bar and actually type.

Bought up some 9mm V Crown at my range, mainly because it was much cheaper than othe SD ammo.

It feeds, and shoots fairly accurately in my Beretta 92fs.

Does anyone have any information as to how this round wound perform if deployed against something other than cardboard?

tlm225

SIG established an ammo plant in our city a few months ago. My department hosted an ammo demonstration day for them last fall with multiple agencies invited to attend. SIG ran a number of rounds from 9mm and .40 into calibrated ballistic gel through various media (mild sheet steel, denim, etc..) along with out issue rounds (Golden Sabre).

While I personally prefer Federal HST, the expansion and penetration demonstrated would give me confidence in the ammo. At least as much as I have in any handgun round.

pblanc

I doubt you will find much, if any, real-life shooting data for the 9mm SIG V-Crown round since the military uses 124 grain NATO ball ammo and most law enforcement agencies use Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, or Winchester Ranger.

In the Lucky Gunner ballistic testing the 124 grain 9 mm SIG V-Crown appeared to perform well with good penetration, although the expansion was not as good as some of its competitors. The 165 grain .40 S&W SIG V-Crown did fair also, but again, expansion was distinctly less than Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, or Reminton Golden Saber loads.

The 200 grain .45 ACP SIG V-Crown load was another matter. It completely failed to expand and over-penetrated badly.

Based on these results, I probably wouldn't feel too bad about using the 124 grain 9 mm SIG V-Crown load, but it would be far from my first choice.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

briandg

The information I have seen is that they perform very well in penetration tests, including tests with denim and other light barriers. Some test reports showed it to be at the top of the list.

The wide open point shouldn't plug. The flat profile should expand pretty reliably under most conditions, imo, even if the expansion may be a bit less than some other brands.

These were created by Sierra. Keep in mind that jelly testing isn't reality, and that every time a bullet hits an expansion media that isn't absolutely uniform, performance will vary.

I believe that it will perform well over a wide range of conditions. The profile feeds well and the ammunition has been reliable in my test in. It sells for less than most premium loads. It's what I have as my carry rounds.

People search for the best possible round and don't consider that jelly testing isn't even remotely the final answer, and that in any single shooting with similar rounds, the actual damage inflicted on the live target will be unpredictable.

My brother carries a knife, and demands that it be sharp enough to cut through a feather lengthwise without ruffling it. I could cause similar damage with my own, I just use an Arkansas and strop.

fl_rich

I've used them as they are cheaper than the average round from my LGS. As for penetration I find it completely acceptable. None of the 3-4000 shots fired has failed to penetrate my hardened paper targets :)

15plus1

Cost was the main attraction. And affordability allowed for some more actual testing in my firearms that I would reasonably be able to do with more expensive ammo.

At $25+/box for testing, some of the alternative options can be a bit cost prohibitive, for me anyways.

I picked up some .380 as well for testing and carry, and the function was good in that as well.

Glad to hear that they perform decently.

briandg

The .380 function well and shoot accurately to the fixed sight point of aim.

I would expect expansion to bring kind of minimal, but just having that flat face profile will cause a wealthier wound channel than ball. A ninety grain subsonic nine 'm round can't accomplish much.

If you reload, buy several boxes to load,and you can really test it out, and still buy factory for carry.

I assure you, I wouldn't spend a buck a round for carry ammo. The actual probability that a two dollar round and a plain round like the silvertip will genuinely be the difference between life and death is slim.

15plus1

I tried out the 380 in a new to me beretta 85f and both performed flawlessly.

Gun goes bang when I want it to and ammo goes in the general direction of where I point it.

Can't ask for much more.