SIG Trailside, Browning Buckmark Bullseye, S&W 41

Master Blaster

Hi all, thanks to those who responded to my request for info on the trailside and their experiences.

I looked at a Trailside and decided it was not for me, the slide on these is cast and not very neatly, its visible around the uneven cocking serrations. After my second look my impression is that the qualityis not what we come to expect from SIG. The Clerk reminded me of the important fact that these are made by Hammerelli (sp) who normally also makes a 2000+ gun only.

The store had a 7" buckmark bullseye with the target grip and adjustible trigger for less than the 4" target trailside. I really liked the feel of this gun and the trigger.

So I rented the plainjane buckmark 5.5 and put 200 rounds through it. The ranges gun was filthy and it still functioned flawlessly. It seems that the trigger on even the standard model is much better than that of my rugers.
The accuracy of the buckmark is as good or better than my rugers It shot it as well or better the first time!!!. The adjustible sight is of very high quality.

The bullseye at $425 seems like a very nice gun and a cut above my rugers.

I am also considering a S&W 41

glockdoc

I like my Buckmark Bullseye a lot. The trigger is great, not just short and light but buttery smooth. The gun has proven very reliable. I've put hundreds of rounds through it, maybe close to 1000, and I remember a stove pipe and maybe one or two misfires which could have been caused by the ammo. The gun is also pretty easy to take apart and put back together. I haven't tried a lot of different ammo, and I've done more plinking than slow shooting from a rest, so I can't gauge its accuracy. One complaint I've heard about the Buckmark is that the five-sided plastic piece at the end of the recoil spring is prone to breaking. Mine has not broken. I don't know what would be best for competition, but for plinking the Buckmark Bullseye is tons of fun.

sks

The Buckmark is a great firearm. S&W is nice also but I wouldn't touch it for moral reasons, I hate traitors, and it also costs $ 600 and up.

------------------
The best weapon for self defense is the one you have when the need arises!

9x19

MB,

Yep, you've discovered the secret! I really like the Brownings and have sold off all my other .22 pistols (except my little Bersa 223DA).

I own three Brownings:

Micro model with 4" barrel and adjustable sights.

Standard model with 5.5" barrel and Tasco AccuDot sight.

Target model with 5.5" barrel and 2x Simmons LER scope.

Good luck and good shooting.

------------------
Make mine lean, mean, and 9x19!

wirenut

I too was initially in the market for a target Trailside. I waited almost 6 months for it. read an article in Handguns magazine about the Berreta Model 87 target.
I bought one and I love it. It shoots well, is reliable and looks pretty cool. Unlike the traislide the optics mounting rail extends all the way to the rear of the pistol. This allows a more rearward mounting of optics. Plus, the rail is a weaver style,
which is much more compatible with todays mounts. The barrel is not milled into the pistol like the trailside. It is replaceable
unlike the sig's. It is also easy to field strip. I am happy with the fit and finish of the pistol. I,m glad I got one.

wirenut