Sig SP2022 or FNX40

KMAX

Which of the two in 40 cal? Pros and cons of each. I realize there is about $150 difference in the price new. I prefer DA/SA. This is why no Glocks, M&Ps, etc. I might even consider a Berretta 96A, but I am not too fond of the slide mounted safety on them. I just realized the FNX40 and the 96A come with three mags and the SP2022 comes with only one, so the actual cost difference would only be $60 to $70 because I have to have a couple spare mags.

Last edited:
i'd choose the fnx.
i owned the sp2022 for awhile. the trigger reach being so short was extremely awkward for me. also, it didn't have the quality of the p22x series from sig that i was used to.
the fnx, like all fn pistols has a rugged, no-nonsense feel. it's got good capacity and a decent trigger. the grip is a little blocky for my taste in a carry gun, but no more so than a glock. both tend to print badly at the heel.

Tomac

I've never cared for the DA/SA transition until I tried an SP2022. It's now my nightstand/EDC and I just purchased my second SP2022 for backup/training.
It's rugged, accurate and I have no difficulty w/the trigger transition since the trigger is so smooth. I find the controls are well-placed for rapid reloads w/o accidentally hitting the mag release or decocker (YMMV).
Btw, CDNN has SP2022 12rd .40 LE mags for $29: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/sig204012lma.html
Haven't handled the FNX so I can't comment on it.
Tomac

Fishbed77

In my opinion, the FNX is a better pistol in most respects... but FN is notoriously bad for providing support in terms of spare mags and parts, and since they revise models so often, third party accessory makers won't invest in many accessories for them.

For that reason, I say SIG SP2022. And you get to save $100 in the process.

TunnelRat

In my opinion, the FNX is a better pistol in most respects... but FN is notoriously bad for providing support in terms of spare mags and parts, and since they revise models so often, third party accessory makers won't invest in many accessories for them.

FN actually has an online store now where you can buy directly through FN. Third party accessories are a bit lean, but you can still find holster and night sight options and the rail attachments are standard so lights and laser are no problem.

BWM

I have the FNX-40 It comes with 3 - 14 round mags and is ambidextrous decocking and manual safety and mag release also a mounting rail. I like mine and it is made here in the USA. YES I buy one again.

grumpa72

Disclaimer - I don't own or even know what the FNX40 is. That said, I love my Sig 2022 in .40. My previous Sig is a 23 year old Sig P226 9mm that is amazing. NEVER a failure of any sort in that pistol. I was so enamored with my P226 that when I finally succumbed to the polymer pistols, it had to be a Sig. It too has been flawless. I am an all steel or, at the minimum alloy, kind of guy and for me to give a thumbs up on a plastic pistol is a huge statement.

RC20

One of the better questions I have seen on the site today!

I don't own an FNX and if I had not bought the SP2022 (9mm) I would have strongly considered the FN.

I did handle one and I thought it was a bit light. I am partial to a slightly heavier pistol and the SP feels solid. I like the SP trigger better from what I dry fired but that could change on the range.

I do like the extra safety on the FNX as I think its a better concealed carry than just DA though I am ok with the DA (my SP is more the at home gun)

I do like the simplicity of the SP with the combined slide release and takedown lever. I thought that was nice work.

Some Sigs come with a magazine package but have not looked in a while. They are definitely an adder in the cost comparison.

I know you can't go wrong with the SP, I think the FNX would also be decent so it really boils down to how they handle for you and even then its tough as you don't really know until you shoot them.

papershotshells

I just bought a 2022 (in 9mm), but I haven't had time to shoot it yet.

I did a lot of research before I made the purchase and heard/read a lot of good about both guns mentioned.

I went with the Sig for 2 main reasons.

Availability - There were no examples of the FN at any local shop that I could even handle.

Price - I got a very good deal on a very lightly used 2022.

And I guess a distant third.

It's a Sig - I've never owned one (one of the few brands I can say that about) and have heard nothing but good things about them in my entire shooting life (except for a friends problem with 2 different Sig Misquitos).

As soon as I get some time to run some rounds through the 2022, I plan to do a full accuracy and reliability test on it. I'll post my results online with full data.

Papershotshells

btmj

They are both such nice guns, that I think it will come down to personal preference. Handle them both. If possible, shoot them both. You will probably find you prefer one to the other... Including some spare mags in the price of the Sig means the cost out-the-door is close enough to be a non-issue.

I looked at both, and I felt the FNX-40 fit my hand just a bit better than the Sig. I also just "liked" the FN better, but I can't explain why. However, it was close, and I could have been quit happy with the Sig. I have about 1000 rounds through my FNX so far.

RC20

I didn't get to handle the Sig before I bought it, none in town at the time.

I did handle the FNX (not sure then or latter).

I am pretty tolerant of guns and feel. Admittedly the HKs fit me to a T and would love to have one but the price was a big factor. Of off the guns I tried the HK was the only one that stood out as "perfect feel" for me.

The Sig has two grips you can swap around. It took me a bit to figure out which one (medium) and the hold needed to be high.

SP2022 is a good work a day gun and solid. FNX is probably the same though again I like a bit more heft in a gun than the FNX (that may have changed with a full magazine loaded up).

The Sig is darned accurate. 100% reliable. De-cocker location is great and I like the release type.

Ashbane

I just bought an FNX 45. I was very torn between it and the FNX 40. I rented the 40 several times and just loved it. I also looked at Sigs seriously when researching and never heard a bad thing about them. When I was ready to drop the cash I fell for the FNX 45 and love it. But I'd bet my next gun will be either the FNX 40 or a Sig, both look like great guns. Just get your fingers around each one and see which one talks to you.