Sig Slide stop

redblair

Ok I'm fairly new but I'm having a little issue with my CPO 229 TT 40/357.

About 1/4 of the time the slide does not lock open after ejecting the last round. I use both new and used mag's with factory and reloaded ammo (from Georgia Arms.)

So far haven't noticed if it happens more frequently with any specific combination.

Any suggestions?

B

Shaun

it may just be me, but ive noticed that my thumb sometimes rests on the slide stop of sigs, i use a two thumb forward style grip. I had a few problems with the slide locking open while firing and since it was such slight pressure i didnt realize what was happening at first. It may be possible that your thumb is touching the slide release, even so slightly, causing the slide to slam closed after the last round is fired. A good way to test this is to use a one handed grip with your thumb curled down. The mags are what stop the slide from slamming shut, so run all your mags with this style grip and see if the problem persists.

fastbolt

FWIW ...

I had a right-handed fellow instructor bring me a Sig Sauer pistol a while ago, reportedly because the slide consistently failed to lock back when the magazine ran empty during shooting.

I took it out to the firing line and shot it. It didn't do it for me, even though I'm right-handed. It did it when he shot it.

Now, admittedly, being an armorer and shooter of a number of different pistols, some of which have the slide stop levers located far enough to the rear of the frame to place the engagement surface of the lever adjacent to the ball or tip of my thumb, I've adjusted my grip to keep my thumbs away from ALL slide stop levers. ;)

I finally had the fellow shoot the pistol left-handed. It functioned normally, with the slide consistently locking back when it ran empty. It took a while for him to actually understand ... or believe, I suppose ... that it functioning normally when he shot it left-handed (and his thumbs were on the right side of the weapon), but repeatedly failed to lock back when he shot it right-handed, wasn't just a coincidence ...

Naturally, there could be mechanical issues involved in any situation where functioning problems arise ... but shooter-induced/related functioning issues occur much more frequently than many users/owners would probably care to believe.

The good news is that sometimes 'fixing' the owner/user means there isn't a mechanical problem with the firearm ... and the bad news is that getting the 'fix' to stay 'fixed' requires the owner/user to make it so.;)

Ocraknife

I had it happen three times with my 229 when it was brand new while using Remington range ammo, never on any other ammo. I chalked it up to weak powder charge since I am used to a Sig's mag release.