SIG "Short" trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJR

I just bought a SIG 239 and I really like it a lot. But, the double action trigger pull is way too long for me. I've heard reference to a "short" sig trigger but I'm not sure what that means. What is it exactly? Does it shorten the length of pull? Where do I get one? Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary Carver

JJR,
Check my earlier post "Sig P226 .40 S/W Grips, Trigger, ECT..." from the research I've done the short trigger is about one-eight inch shorter than the standard trigger. I'm really not sure this is worth the trouble or not, also custom grips may reduce trigger reach.

Chris Orndorff

The short trigger would more accurately be described as a "thin" trigger. It is thinner than the standard trigger measured from trigger face (front) to rear. It allows those with smaller hands to get more of their finger onto the trigger, making the DA pull easier to manage.

Those with average to larger hands usually find the short trigger not to their liking, as the tip of the trigger finger often hits the frame before the trigger reaches its full rearward travel.

The trigger is available from Sig, for about $25. You could also make your own from the standard trigger if you were so inclined.

The P239s were originally shipped with the short trigger. Many complaints later, Sig began shipping with a standard trigger.

Gary Carver

Chris,
Thanks! Having never seen one or been able to actually get a hands on - that best explains the short trigger. Now I understand what the short trigger is all about. By the way, Sig advertises the short trigger for $35.00 less S/H. A local smith said he would install one for me for an additional $35.00. At this point I don't believe I'm going to opt for this. I have inquired at Hogues about thier custom Kingwood checkered grips, asking if they duplicate the original trigger reach, or if they can be/are somewhat smaller/thinner for small handed shooters. I'm waiting on a reply but expect that the factory set-up is what I'll have to live with (not that it is bad at all).

JJR

Hmmmm... Now you've got me wondering if I already have a short" trigger. My (average size?) trigger finger contacts the frame before the trigger breaks. This makes the double action awkward and forces my hand into an unnatural position. What I need is a trigger that's 1/8" or more thicker than the one I've got. I must have gotten one of the old ones.

Thanks guys.

Chris Orndorff

Gary,

The trigger swap takes about 5 minutes, so the $35 seems a little steep to me. I guess you pay for knowledge!

If you're interested, ARS has a Sig video which, while not great on the cinematography, walks you through the disassembly/reassembly procedures on the Sig classic pistols. It also covers some tuning issues. The video costs about $25.

Go to www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

Gary Carver

Chris,
I've ordered the Wilson gunsmithing video already, thanks. I don't forsee doing any real gunsmithing myself, however, it doesn't hurt to have a little rudimentary knowledge oneself. Wish I could get an answer from Hogue on the grips. I e-mailed them a week ago about a set of custom grips. I can only guess that either business is so good they are extremely busy, or business is so good they can afford to ignore potential customers. Most other companies such as Midway and Wilson among others answer immediately.

bobo

I checked my armorer manuel and I did not
see a short trigger for the 239.

Just checked another source the short trigger
can be used for the 226-228&229 only.

[This message has been edited by bobo (edited August 30, 1999).]

Chris Orndorff

Bobo,

Trust me, there are two triggers available for the 239; the short and the standard. I have both on hand in my parts inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.