Sig-Sauer P6

Darsh

I was shopping around today after a range session, looking for a G19. (which no one in my area seems to be able to keep on the shelf) My cousin who was with me started to look over some used Sig P6's. The shop had like 7 of these German police surplus pistols. I had recently held, and liked a P220, but new ones were too pricey. They were only asking $429 for the P6, less than the Glock I was looking for, so I held it and fell in love haha.

Long story short, it came home with me and I am very happy. I just cant wait til my next day off to go shoot! :D Also found a large box of Speer GDHP 124gr +p. 250 rnds for $116, not terrible I thought. After I got it all home, it occured to me the P6 might not be +p rated, does anyone know for sure? This particular one is a 1981 model. I'm gonna call Sig otherwise.

And now for the obligatory pictures!
dsc00240p.jpg

dsc00236xbx.jpg

Anyone have any holster reccomendations? Know where I can get some spiffy new grips? Thanks for reading this long post! :D

Willie Lowman

Sig told me not to use +P+ in my 226. +P is a different breed of dog... Just Email Sig or call em.

Did your gun store have any spare mags for the p6? That is the one thing keeping me away from them, I can't find any mags for them. (It's bad enough finding mags for the 226)

txstang84

+P should be ok to shoot in there, +P+ is a higher pressure rating, therefore a slightly more ticked off "different breed of dog."

But, as was mentioned, email or call them to confirm. Tell us how it goes-I've been seriously looking at one to add to my collection here of late!:D

J&G Sales has magazines for the P6-they're promag, but it's a magazine...

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...ines,-9mm-8-round-by-promag-/products_id/1915

Dunno about the grips, but, the P225 is the same pistol, and I believe Midway might have some grips for it-I'm betting they'd also have a holster for you.

txstang84

On second thought-you might wanna disregard the pro-mags unless you feel like tweaking them yourself. The only reviews on there basically say those mags are junk and cause fail to feed issues, and won't lock the slide back on the last round.

6x6pinz

I put the tru glo front sight and pachmayr grip on the one that I carry, I have two of these lovely pistols. My carry P6 had some holster wear but the other one looks as if it had never been fired. JG sales used to have used factory mags available, don't know now.
Great pistols, as you expect from Sig.

CortJestir

They were only asking $429 for the P6

Is that what they're going for these days? Still a great value, IMO. Congrats on your new purchase. Good find. Mine is my range plinker and beater gun. When I get bored though, I think I'll refinish it and tune it.

Que

Just a recommendation as to night sights. You can pick up a Trijicon front Tritium sight off of eBay cheap ($15). I find the Tritium front sight and standard back sight offers a quick acquisition sighting system in lower light conditions where the front sight is lost while the back sight is still visible. The difficulty is in acquiring the front sight so the stock rear sight can stay. I was able to install the new front sight myself using a light hammer and a punch with the tip covered by a piece of masking tape to minimize the impact so as not to harm the Tritium vial.

Also, as the hammer spring in the P6 is a bit stiffer than the 225, you can get a reduced power spring from Wolff Springs that will lighten the trigger. I have not found the need, but will order the reduced power spring next time I order from Wolff.

The P6 is a great gun. Enjoy. BTW, I ended up with a Galco concealment holster for mine and it's great. I also like DeSantis.

chris in va

were only asking $429 for the P6,

Good grief. That's about $150 more than they were last year.

Keep in mind the P6 might not like hollowpoints as it was designed to use FMJ. You'll need to have the feed ramp tweaked before it can do that. I understand there are a couple gunsmiths that can do that at a reasonable price.

NYPD13

$429 jeez, I should have picked one up when they were still $269. Enjoy your new old Sig, that thing will run forever.

Darsh

Thanks for all the great tips. Yeah, I wish I had known about these when they were cheaper, haha. Still not bad for a sig tho, I figured.

OhioAAA

Congrats!! I almost bought one myself but the one in my local shop wasn't in a good condition.

I would stay away from any +p ammo since the P6 is more than 20 years old, some might say I am paranoid, but I am not ready to use my face or thumbs as experimental platforms.

Let us know how it shoot!

Darsh

Well, I called Sig today and the customer service rep said +p was just fine. Hopefully I can get out to shoot it Sunday. I'll post when I've done so. :cool:

Que

Well, I called Sig today and the customer service rep said +p was just fine.

Darsh, that doesn't surprise me at all. With some of the hotter subgun ammo that you find in Europe the ability to handle +P seems pretty doggone necessary for any "modern" police 9mm.

PeterGunn

P225/P6 is probably one of the finest single stack 9mm units available. Mine is on the "never to be sold" list and is a fairly constant companion day to day.

Enjoy!