Sig Sauer p238 vs Colt Mustang

8bit

It seems the price is about the same. Any reason to favor one over the other?
I'm currently deciding between a P238 and P938. But I did look at some Mustangs before narrowing it down. Haven't actually shot either one but I much prefer the sights on the Sig. Really like the look of those Colts though.

Last edited:

KyJim

Actually, I think if you look around, you can get the Sig for a little less money. Sig has several configurations of sights, grips, etc. so price depends on the exact configuration. I own an older Mustang (1980s vintage) and a Sig P238. Tom Servo is right about the sights but the triggers are about the same in mine. I would probably opt for the Sig.

GLI45

Don't have any experience with the Colt, but it's a Colt so I would assume the quality very good. I do, however, own a P238 and it's been excellent. Ditto to the above comments on the sights. They are the best I've ever come across on a pistol of that size. Trigger is also very good. My P238 been very reliable and surprisingly accurate for a pistol with such a short sight radius. Thanks to its small size it is great when I'm not dressed for concealing my standard EDC, a commander size 1911. In a small IWB clip on I can cover with a t-shirt.

bt380

My favorite 380 shooter is the P238. It handles +p easily. My son has one and it's perceived recoil if felt a bit more easier than the Bersa Thunder 380. The P238 is a great size and easily concealable. The only reason I don't have a P238 is the cocked/locked feature. He is fine with it but I prefer something different. If the safety is bumped off, you have a very light SA pull to fire off a round. It simply wasn't for me like Ford vs Chevy argument. Most folks have no problem with it and it is for them. It is so nice to shoot. I can't say anything about the Colt.

RUT

>>If the safety is bumped off, you have a very light SA pull to fire off a round.<<

It's actually not all that light. (which is one of the complaints you'll hear about it)

8bit

>>If the safety is bumped off, you have a very light SA pull to fire off a round.<<

It's actually not all that light. (which is one of the complaints you'll hear about it)
Also, having handled a number of the 238's I have a hard time thinking of a way the safety could be accidentally "bumped off". Assuming of course you are using a proper holster.

JERRYS.

if nub sights with no chance of upgrade is ok by you then the colt will work.

I used to own a mustang II and it was a great gun. ive shot my co-workers sig 238 and its the same as the colt except it has much better sights and option for them.

lcpiper

Actually I don't even think of the P238 as being a copy as it really isn't. Sig licensed the design and made what they felt were improvements on it. As you see many see the sights as being a solid improvement. I think there is some good edge smoothing on many surfaces and they has a special model where they take this to the extreme, the SAS is really de-horned across the entire surface of the handgun. I prefer the longer mags with the pinkie extension. And many models are a good bit lighter as an alloy slide is standard on the P238 and it is not on the Colt Mustang. Although I think there is an upgraded version of the Mustang that has several modernized features.

whippoorwill

Have handled both, shot only the Mustang. Agreed, the SIG sights are better... for informal target. For practical self defense, it probably doesn't matter. If I have to use my Mustang, I'll be up close and not lining up front and rear sight.. I've not noticed one having a better trigger than the other. I'll stick with the Mustang.

KyJim

I agree. I would estimate about 5.5 to 6 pounds which is close to where some double actions are. The advantage is that the trigger pull is much shorter than double actions and more crisp. Some might view the shorter trigger pull to be a possible safety issue but I do not.

USMCGrunt

I can't vouch for the Sig, or even the new Mustangs either but I do still have an older Colt Mustang I've had for years. Never missed a beat and the sights are dead on. One of my favorites when it comes to a back up gun.

dajowi

Shot a friends Sig P238. Had nice sights and good accuracy at 50 feet. Didn't have the rounded blended lines of the colt. Both the 238 and the Mustang have short grips but you can get mags with extensions which increase the grip length for both pistols. I think the Colt just looks nicer.