Sig Sauer P226 vs Walther P99?? Plz help me pick one!

Finally my choices are down to Sig P226 and Walther P99, but I have to pick one for my "general purpose" 9mm. In other words, this will be the primary shooter when I go to range, and one that I can count on defending the house with.

I like Sig due to it's proven reliability and all steel construction. It fits comfortably in my hand, and the ones I've handled had great trigger pull and action. It has readily available and reasonably priced hi cap mags. But I've read about occasional SIG slide cracking problems. Also the NIB price is pretty high, I just can't afford one brand new. I'm currently considering VG+ police trade in with night sights for $400 or so, it's a pretty tempting price. Are there problems with police trade ins? I don't care about finish wear, but I dont' know how good the barrel is.

I also like Walther P99, it's just very ergonomic in my palm (even better than SIG). But it has a lot of polymer which as a conservative I'm not sure how well I trust its durability. The trigger doesn't feel as good as SIG but still great. The hi cap mags are very expensive, but the pistol itself can be had for under $480 NIB.

So based on the information I proved, what do you think would suit me better? Thanks for any insights, especially about police trade in's.

notbubba

I think Sigs are about the best handgun made, so if the question is "Should I get a Sig or a ..." GET THE SIG!:D

Police trade in's are great.I have a Sig 220 trade in that has a lot of holster wear that I love.
Night sights are nice to have also.

I didn't like the Walther trigger either.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Beyond_Visual_Range,

No need to worry about Sig's cracking frames; as this
problem was addressed and corrected a few years back.
Most of the reported cases where from police departments,
whereas these P226's were subjected to thousands of
rounds of +P type ammunition. Also, these firearms received
little, if any TLC. So, in closing I must say that I would get
the Sig P226!:D :cool: :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Coper116

The Sig and Walther are both excellent guns and you won't go wrong with either one. I personally like the Sig better. I have been carrying a Sig for many years as my duty gun and have had no problems. I own both the Walther P99 and several Sigs and I just like the metal frame Sigs better than the plastic frame Walther. The Walther feels better in my hand and both shoot great. High Cap mags are a lot cheaper for the Sig. If I had to choose I would buy the Sig. If you buy a police trade in check to make sure the numbers match and check it over good and look for any rust. Some officers do not maintain their sidearms like they should.

Waxahachie1

I own both and prefer the Walther p99 but it's a purely subjective thing.Not to worry about the polymer construction,it will last.

BigD

Let me start by saying that I'm a huge Sig fan.

With that said, both are fine guns. Disregarding my bias for a moment, I still think I'd go with the Sig. The P226 has been around for several decades now and passed the entire suite of US military pistol trials back in the 80s. With the Sig, you're getting a proven design that is in use by police and military all over the world.

There are just so many intangibles to the Sig. Parts are easier (and somewhat less expensive) to find; it is a more common piece so finding a qualified gunsmith, should you find the need, will be easier; the action on the police turn-in is likely very smooth from use; aftermarket accessories and accessories are easier to find (esp holsters); and lastly, you're getting night sights for less money than the P99.

Bottom line - Both guns will serve you very well, but in your shoes, I'd get the Sig.

Good luck!

lunde

I own four Walther P99s, and have my first Sig P226 on the way (it's in .357 Sig). I own a Sig P239 and P229, and I have shot 9mm P226s several times. Sigs are great guns. Both are great, in fact. If I had to give one an edge, it'd be the P99, for the following reasons: 1) it is lighter, 2) it's a bit smaller yet its hi-cap mags hold 16 rounds (but the P226 hi-cap mags are cheaper), 3) its SA trigger becomes better than the Sig's (in my opinion) after 400 rounds or so, 4) ambidextrous magazine release, 5) tennifer on the slide and barrel, 6) very short trigger reset with no slack, and 7) adjustable grip. More information on the P99 is available at the following web site: http://www.jimcostanza.com/home.html

That being said, you should pick the one that fits your hand the best. Fit is important. Both will be plenty accurate.

thanks for the insights guys. there's one thing about police tradeins that's still unclear to me. Some say LEO trade ins are carried more than shot with. While other evidences suggest cop guns see a lot of firing thru mandatory training and excercises. which is true? The Sig226 used is from an online dealer, but I don't know if I can trust enough to buy one sight unseen. It'd be okay for NIB, but used is like crap shoot.

vyper005

Beyond,
I have both guns & would choose the Sig anyday...I picked up the Walther P99 about a month ago & the Sig just recently...The Walther fits my hand great but its nothing special...You really have to get used to the long trigger...I was thinking about trading it in on the P99 QA model just to have more of a consistent trigger pull...

I just picked my used German proofed 226 in 9mm from my local dealer..It was in excellent to near mint condition & came complete with 2 hi-cap mags...It shows little to no wear at all...I bought it for $525.00...The proof marks indicate that the gun was made in 1996...The DA is very smooth & the SA is incredible...Damn...I havent even shot it yet...

If you plan on buying the Police trade in without seeing the gun first...just make sure you ask the dealer the exact condition of the gun...like...How many scratches ??...Any modifications ?? Are the inside rails worn ?? How bright are the nightsights ??...Good luck :)

BigD

To the LEO usage question - It really depends upon *who* was carrying a particular weapon. You have to remember that most LEOs are *not* gun people, and thus would likely only fire the weapon when they had to for qualification purposes. If it was toted by a firearm enthusiast, it would likely see more regular use. If it was carried by a SWAT or other special ops team member, you can count on a *lot* of use. The flip side is that the gun enthusiast or SWAT member likely took a lot better care of the weapon.

If you head over to www.hardforum.com (HardOCP's forum) and drill into Hobbies/Firearms & Knives there is a guy who was looking at one of the same P226s that I think you've been eyeing. He ended up with a P228, but he may have some good insight for you.

Gremlin

I own both the Sig p226 and the Walther p99 (although the Sig is in 357sig and the Walther is 9mm).

I like both guns but there is no doubt in my mind that I would dispose of the Walther before I would get rid of the big Sig.

Zander

IMO, the most important factor is how comfortable a given pistol feels in your hand and, ultimately, how well you shoot it.

That said, my choice for a starting point would be the SIG...where out-of-the-box combat pistols are concerned, there are few [if any] better.

NMGlocker

I too own a P99 and a Sig P228.
The P99 is more size efficient than the P226.
The P99 has a far more durable finish.
P99 has a lower bore axis.
The P99's trigger is as good as the Sig, but has a MUCH shorter reset.
My P99 is as accurate as my P228.
IMO, the P99 has everything the Sig has, plus some things the Sig doesn't, in a more efficient package.