Sig Sauer Mosquito Threaded

'88Scrat

I have been looking for a little .22 pistol for a while now and after shooting cartidges such as .308, .44 Rem Mag, and .50AE I was thinking a little .22LR might be a welcome change for my wallet.

The little Sig Sauer Mosquito with a threaded barrel cought my eye, it would fit the bill to a T. I love the idea of being able to put maybe a Tac-65 suppressor on it and shoot subsonic rounds. And doing so won't break the bank either.

I've looked a couple of reviews online and it seems to be either a love it or hate it gun. Was wondering if I could get some feedback from some people that actually have exeriance with one. Many of the reviews I saw were a "friend of a friend" kinda thing.

And is it possible to get the Mosquito in two-tone with a threaded barrel?

xLPlushy

An old high school friend bought one a few months back as his first gun. It's ok. I put maybe 150 rounds thru it myself. I was using Winchester Wildcat's and had a lot of FTF's and FTE's. I'd say about 1 in 5 shots was a failure of one type or another. So we packed it up at the range and headed home to clean it up, and grab a variety of brands of ammo from my safe. After we got it nice and clean, I polished the feed ramp, and gave everything a thin coat of Mobil1. We took it out to the small range I have at my grandparents farm, and tested it some more. It ran much smoother with about 1 in 12 being a failure. We found that Federal ammo ran best thru that particular gun. Semi-auto .22's are finicky. Overall a nice gun worth the money IMO.

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone

'88Scrat

I see. At the risk of asking a dumb question why are .22LR pistols more finicky then other calibers? I got a Ruger 10/22 carbine that is hands down the most reliable gun I own, it will shoot clean, dirty, in snow, 105 degree heat, and all other times. It very rarely has a malfunction, though it is more fond of the Remington Golden Bullet 36 grian ammo then all others. I really would like to have a .22 pistol but not one (of any brand) that fails 20% of the time.

WyMark

I have a threaded Mosquito and love shooting it. The slide on mine broke in two and it cost $100 for Sig to replace it. It's an '07 that I bought used, and no idea how many rounds had been put through it, but I put several thousand through it in the months before it broke. So 100 including shipping wasn't too bad a deal. I won't replace it again, will just buy something else, but hopefully that's never going to be an issue.

Mine has only really choked on Aquilla, Win WB and SuperX. Federal red box at Wally World works fine, mostly. I'll get one 375 box that shoots 100% and the next one I'll get some FTE's or FTF's. CCI Blazer worked good tooWould like to buy a can one of these days, just hard to justify the $$$.

I shoot the crap out of it and love it, and it's got the same controls and is almost the same size as my P228.

TennJed

I see. At the risk of asking a dumb question why are .22LR pistols more finicky then other calibers? I got a Ruger 10/22 carbine that is hands down the most reliable gun I own, it will shoot clean, dirty, in snow, 105 degree heat, and all other times. It very rarely has a malfunction, though it is more fond of the Remington Golden Bullet 36 grian ammo then all others. I really would like to have a .22 pistol but not one (of any brand) that fails 20% of the time.

I think some of it has to do with not having enough power to fully cycle the slide. I am sure there is more and I could be wrong, but that is my undetstanding

Oh and might I suggest a .22lr revolver. Much fewer FTFs and FTEs ;)

Johnnymurad

I bought one as my first semi auto pistol, it was a real piece of crap. I shot 10k plus through it and it was completely unreliable. It would run for 100 rounds perfectly then jam two or three times per magazine, then run perfect for the next 50??? It was completely random, I tried every type of cheap ammo I could find in it and nothing would run 100% in it other than cci mini mags... but you lose a lot of the cost savings buying that stuff... I was about to give up on .22 until I bought a ruger 22/45... completely different story... it might have a failure in a brick of ammo... completely different experience... if you want a combat style pistol check out the sr22, same basic design as the sig but it works!