Sig Pro's, what do you think?

NewShooter78

I currently carry a SigPro 2340 Blueline model. I must say that I really like this gun. I haven't had it long, but I am impressed with it so far. Anyone have any comments about its performance with a good number of round through it?

70-101

I have a SP2340 IN 357sig. that is my favorite fall and winter carry handgun. Mine has been amazing,I shoot mostly Speer Gold Dots through it. I have lost track of the number of rounds fired through it. But it is a significant number, just keep it clean and well lubed and you will not have any problems with it. I have found the Pro series takes a few hundred rounds to loosen up. Then it just gets smoother and more accurate as the number of rounds fired through it increase. Good luck with yours:)

weldonjr2001

I've only got about 500 rounds of 124 grn. +P through my 2009, so I can't testify to its potential longevity, but seems to be very sturdy. I like it enough that I'm looking for a 2340 in .40.

caz223

I have a 2340 in 357SIG, and I just can't understand why it hasn't become more popular.
IMHO, it's the best 357SIG offering out there.
Extremely accurate, light weight, well balanced, and equipped with night sights for $500.
I like it better than the 239, but it's not quite as concealable.

Gadmax

I was seriously considering A SIG PRo also, but when I went in to the local shop, they informed me that they have heard people complaining about the slide not locking back after a coupld thousand rounds. I don't have one, so I can't attest to it, but this is just what I've heard.

caz223

The slide not locking back is more of a CZ problem than anything else.
My 2340 did that a grand total of once in well over 1000 rounds.
That's a malf rate of less than .1%
If it does it again, I'll replace the mag springs with +10s and the recoil spring and guide rod.
That could be a mag problem, or a mag seating problem.
Also, if the mag gets disassembled, and the spring (Where it meets the base plate) gets flipped 180 degrees, the mag won't seat fully, and the problem might rear it's ugly head also.

RT13

The SigPro is an one of the finest weapon today and is IMO the most underrated gun today. Because of its polymer frame, it is compared to Glock and Hk. The popularity of the other two speaks for itself, while the Sigpro is not really known or popular, it has been tested and reviewed. The reviews have been very very positive. This is one solid sturdy polymer gun with a nice size and feel. Very reliable and accurate. And with a price tag below $500...... The trigger is pretty nice and does smooth out after awhile like other Sigs. I am a classic Sig loyalist but am hoping to add a Sigpro to my Sig family sometime either the .357 sig or 2009 9mm. I use to snub the Proline myself until I read up on it and started using my friend's at the range. I am impressed with his SP2009 everytime we go shooting together. Can't wait to get one, unfortnately, my next Sig is either a P228 or P225 first!:)

Teppo

It is a beautiful gun, and I also wanted one for a long time. Finally got a 2340 in .40, but wound up selling it after a couple of months. I just don't think the quality is as good as the other sigs (I own a 229 and 220 sport). Trigger pull does not have the ultra-smooth classic sig feel. The plastic components also seemed a little shoddy --- some of the parts were different shades of black, and not entirely flat in places. Accuracy was fair, not great. They make have worked out these problems in the last couple of years but just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

LeadPumper

Tool for the Pro's

I was all ready to plunk down my hard earned cash for a new Glock 35 when Mark showed me the SIG PRO 2340. Mark was the behind-the-counter guy at my local shop / range, and I generally trusted what he said.

He handed me the SIG and a box of Lake City 180gr .40 FMJ and said, "Here, go shoot this SIG. If you still want the Glock after that, I'll pay for the ammo myself. But you won't"

Still have that SIG, and I still love it. Shoots where I want it to and dosen't fail (OK, except that one time I put the mag spring in backwards!!)

-LeadPumper

Other than having a high bore axis, common to all Sigs, my 2340 has been flawless. After shooting my Glock 23 I pick up the SP 2340 and it feels like a brick.

NewShooter78

Thanks for the replies. As my name might lead on, this is my first gun ever besides air rifles. It has been a joy to learn to shoot on this gun, and every time I hit the range my groupings are getting tighter. I too was going to buy a G23 before I picked up this gun. A lot of guys that I work with have it, and it was also recomended by two shop owners as well. I got a pretty fair deal on it, $550 w/ 3 mags and nightsights. The only problem I've had is in concealing it. I'll have to go with SOB holster.

Handy

Upon creating the SigPro, Sigarms managed to use polymer construction to make a gun that is both heavier and has a much fatter grip than a Sig Classic. The grip is so thick across the back that the extra replacement rubber grip is a joke. The Sigpro grip is the widest I can remember picking up.

In every test I've read or have heard reported, Sigpro accuracy is not up to the standard of the Classic pistols, or really up to that of the Glock or USP either.

The Sigpro will not take Classic mags.

On an aesthetic note, the long levered slide release, forward tapered trigger guard/dustcover and triangular mag release are just plain ugly.

Zero innovation. I don't feel this pistol manages to do anything interesting but be reliable and cheap (one Reno dealer has his for $399!). The only advantage of the polymer construction seems to be cost, because this sucker's heavy.

It reminds me of the old Cadillacs that were essentially Chevy Cavaliers with leather seats: use name recognition to sell a cheap product.

There are plenty of other reliable, accurate and cheap firearms that manage to be more ergonomic than this clunker. A good enough gun for a Police Department on a budget, but so is a Ruger.

I guess I didn't care for it.

tetchaje

I only have two beefs with the SIG Pro.

1) The danged proprietary accessory rail (with freaking expensive proprietary accessories and batteries).

2) The finger extensions on the mags. I called SIGARMS about getting some of the flush floorplates like they have on the SPC2009 in Europe but the lady didn't know anything about them.

Other than that, I have to disagree with Handy's synopsis of the Pro (it seems like the only thing we agree on is the P7). I personally think that the lines of the Pro are quite nice -- much more so than the ubiquitous Glock that it is competing against. The polymer doesn't feel as "plasticky" as the Glocks, HKs, and Walthers. The trigger is as smooth, if not smoother, than the Classic SIG pistols. Take down isn't as easy or fast as the Classics, but that is a minor point.

The single most common complaint for the Pro is the stiff decocker.

Oh, and there is no comparison with the brick of a Ruger... :rolleyes: ...talk about a clunker...

NewShooter78

I like the grips. I have big hands and feel that the Pro feels more comfortable to me than the Glock did. I would like it if Houge made grips for this, and I've heard that they are on the way. And around here Glocks are cheaper than SigPros or even XD's.

LeadPumper

Hogue's?

After trying different grip combinations on my PRO, I settled on the following:

Smaller stipled grip with Hogue Handall. Gives me grip, fills out palm nicely, and gives little finger grooves up front for more 'torque control' with the .40 round.

I believe Pachmayr also makes a slip on grip.

Shoot 'em if you've got 'em!

-LeadPumper

70-101

Handy

The Sig Pro is not heaver than the Classic Sigs in fact, both Pro models are lighter than the compact 229 and 245 with or without magazine installed,when calibers are equal. I would also submit to you that, the accuracy of the Pro Series is determed by the skill level of the shooter. Also the major advantage of it's polymer construction is, it's resistance to rust and corrosion. Along with the Pro Series Nitron Finish,making it one of the most,if not the most corrosion resistant handguns on the market.

all weights are w/o magazine

SP 2340 27 oz.
SP 2009 25 oz.

Sig.220 27.8 oz.
Sig.226 28.3 oz.

Sig. 245 27.5 oz.
Sig. 229 28.1 oz.

Last edited:

TheActor

I've fired a 2340 that belonged to a leo friend w/ 2000+ rds through it. Smooth trigger, accurate and flawless operation.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
From A Personal Standpoint-

if I were going to invest in a Sig, I would add some
cash to the pile and get a Sig "P-series" classic.
However, there is nothing wrong with the Sig-Pro;
I just prefer the Sig "P" classic's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member