Sig P938

Stats Shooter

Howdy,

Just got a Sig P938 extreme. I typically carry my colt defender 45 but decided I wanted something smaller for light clothing carry. I make all my ammo except 22LR and self defense ammo.
So I am curious if any of ya'll have a favorite compact 9mm factory round that has milder recoil and decent penetration/expansion. Or from someone with experience with the sig or kimber micro 9. For those who do not know, the Sig P938 is a sub compact 1911 style 9mm with a 3" barrel. So not the best platform for +p or +p+ stuff but needs to be plenty stout enough to work the action properly.

Thanks

USNRet93

Howdy,

Just got a Sig P938 extreme. I typically carry my colt defender 45 but decided I wanted something smaller for light clothing carry. I make all my ammo except 22LR and self defense ammo.
So I am curious if any of ya'll have a favorite compact 9mm factory round that has milder recoil and decent penetration/expansion. Or from someone with experience with the sig or kimber micro 9. For those who do not know, the Sig P938 is a sub compact 1911 style 9mm with a 3" barrel. So not the best platform for +p or +p+ stuff but needs to be plenty stout enough to work the action properly.

Thanks
This, great reviews..also made by Lehigh(originator) and BlackHills. 'Xtreme Defender'..not 'Penetrator'
This is a Lehigh video so take it as advertising but other tests show great performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAxqkxkSz4k

Attachments

• image492465-74f312e8af76b459bf90cb6cc5d4d1db.jpg
    image492465-74f312e8af76b459bf90cb6cc5d4d1db.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 26

Cheapshooter

the Sig P938 is a sub compact 1911 style 9mm with a 3" barrel. So not the best platform for +p
Why? Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 124gr. +P runs just fine in my Kahr CM9. Functions 100%, as accurate as a pocket 9 can be, and the recoil very manageable, and not much more than 115 gr. Winchester white box.
If a "fantastic plastic" pistol like my Kahr handles it well I don't see why an all metal Sig wouldn't. Or is there something about the 938 that it has to be babied?

Stats Shooter

Or is there something about the 938 that it has to be babied

No, I dont think so. Its just short and the grip is small. I shot 200 rounds of 115 American eagle through it today and 60 rounds of 124 gr Federal HST's . All of it ran fine and at 20 &30 ft its pretty accurate.

FYI the federal HST'S ran about 1,050 through the Sig P938, so about 100 fps slower than advertised on the box (according to labradar).

Ibmikey

I have both the P 938 and Kimber Micro 9 normally shooting 115 gr factory ( Win, Fed, Rem etc) or Lawman 124 gr FMJ as a steady diet. I carry them in both pistols and have had zero malfunctions after many hundreds of rounds have been fired through each. I also have the P 238 and Kimber Micro 380 which have seen a steady diet of FMJ ammunition, recoil has never been an issue and I am old and have become sensitive to excessive recoil.
Purchase of the Sig P 938 is a sound move in my opinion and what you feed it is your decision.

RickB

I have "heard" that the P938 prefers bullets heavier than 115, but I always go with the heavy end of the bullet spectrum for every round, so haven't shot any 115s.
If you are used to a compact .45, as was I prior to buying the SIG, recoil isn't going to be an issue with any 9mm load; pick one that runs reliably.
I haven't had any feed issues in 1700 rounds, but I haven't run a bunch of different rounds, either; I have a RN practice load, and a JHP carry load, and I chose the latter because the product line of the manufacturer is excellent, rather than because they make a "magic" 9mm load.

sparkyv

Mine also is a factory ammo only gun. I'm not too recoil sensitive, but I usually have her loaded up with Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX. They shoot just fine. Have you tried out the 7 round extended grip mag, Stats Shooter? Maybe it'll feel better in your hand. :cool:

Stats Shooter

I have two of the 7 round mags and 1 6 round mag. The 7 is dramatically more comfortable. I had to do a quick feed ramp polish job on it as I was getting copper buildup near the bottom indicating some roughness. Also I had a few hollow points jam into the ramp. But a quick polish job fixed that.

I have tried the 124 and 147 federal HST's. They seem to feed and feed fine. The 147's seem to group best for me. I am going to try some more golden Sabres and see but the HST seems to be a winner right now