Sig P938, Shield .45 or neither

What would you do and why.

• Sig P938 and save for 1911

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Shield .45 and save for 1911

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Shield .45 and buy the ATI (or other Philippine mfg'd).

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Just keep saving for the 1911 (in the $1k range)

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PatientWolf

I have been saving for a 1911 for a while. It would not be my first.

I've been looking at the Colt Competition, Ruger (probably the Night Watchman version), an ATI, and am open to other good quality models without an ambi-safety (the gun will host some beautiful stag grips, but they are not made to work with an ambi-safety).

However, I was at Cabela's the other day and saw they had both the Shield .45 with night sights and the Sig P938 Extreme on sale. The Shield also has a rebate running right now.

I have several gift cards for Cabela's that would cover the Shield or put the P938 into my hands with little out of pocket.

So, I am in the position of burning up the gift cards as follows:
Buy the Shield and have almost enough left for the ATI at the LGS.
Buy the Sig and keep saving for a 1911
Put the gift cards (with cash) toward the Colt Performance, Ruger (though Cabela's doesn't seem to offer the Night Watchman), or other 1911.

Edit: I already have carry, range and home defense options.

Last edited:

TailGator

With the addition of your edit, you seem to be saying this is a "want," and only you can decide the priority of your wants. If the 1911 is your strongest want, then I wouldn't take a setback in your savings plan. If one of the other pistols is as strong or nearly as strong a want as the 1911, then it is reasonable to buy one of them. But don't consider the Cabelas cards as "not real money." They are money in a different form, a finite asset.

eos

Need more context here - what do you plan on doing with the pistol? Range, I'd take a 1911. Carry, I'd go with the Shield .45 out of those choices.

PatientWolf

I appreciate all the input.

eos - if I got either the Shield or the P938, it would be in the rotation with a Kahr PM9 and a Shield 9mm for similar areas of travel. My Kahr does fit some places my Shield doesn't. I'd expect the P938 would fit into the same crannies as the Kahr.

Ibmikey

This is stupid, why do I want to give an opinion on movitating another to make such obscure decisions? I have all three as the desire surfaced, it did not take a poll of forum members for me to determine the Sig P 938 worked for me under certain conditions or the Shield given to me as a gift was a great CC pistol and finally another 1911 should be added to the current accumulation of 1911 pistols on hand.
If ,however, one cannot afford more than one of the three pistols mentioned he should seriously determine his pistol need (these are distinctly different pistols) and work toward that single goal.

PatientWolf

Ibmikey -

Ok, you have all three. Was there one of the carry pistols mentioned that you were really glad you added or one that did not live up to your expectations? For you, are they really enjoyable and accurate or are they better suited to to very close range?

RickB

I would not put a single action, cocked 'n' locked pistol into a carry rotation that included safety-less, point-and-squirt pistols, unless the first is going to get about 90% of the practice rounds.

That said, I've had a P938 for a couple of months, and with 150 rounds and a few hours of dry-fire on it, I'm sold.
Especially, and maybe exclusively for 1911 fans, the P938 is a great compact 9.
Good trigger (mine may be an exception at a crisp ~5.5#, as the factory spec is 7.5-8.5#), excellent night sights, and good capacity - 7+1 - for the size.

If you already have carry covered, get the Colt.