Sig P6

Kevin_d77

Are these any good? Says used but in good to very good condition, 2-8rd mags and holster for under $400.

The thought is very intriguing. Also used 226 w 1 mag but worse condition for under $400

mxsailor803

If the 226 looks like holster wear, I'd get it. But if it looks like its been through a swamp and left there for a few months, I'd pass. Handle the 226 and make sure everything still functions and that the slide rack is smooth and you should be ok. I'm not familar at all with a P6.

Walt Sherrill

The P-6 is a more-compact version of the single-stack P-220 (in .45), offered to meet a then-new German "police standard" in the 1970s. That standard changed again in 1995, and police departments there have been slowly upgrading their inventory. These are pretty old guns (but that is not necessarily a bad thing.) The P6 has a much heavier trigger and lower capacity (8-rounds compared to the the 10-20 round mags available for the 226 in 9mm). The "civilian" version is the P-225, which came with a lighter trigger and, sometimes, night sights... neither of came from the factory on the P-6.

A lot of folks buy the P6 to get a SIG at what seems to be a bargain price. While I like SIGs, I wouldn't rush out to buy an old SIG with a heavy trigger and only an 8-round capacity -- as I'd immediately have to have trigger work done, and I'd always feel frustrated by the limited capacity.

As an earlier poster noted, if the 226's "worse" condition is mostly holster wear, I'd go with the 226.

Last edited:

UZO

Both are excellent pistols... and are 'classic' SIGs!
Depends on what size pistol you're looking for. The P226 is full-sized where as the P-6 (P-225) is more of a compact...
And as Walt pointed out, the P226 is a double-stack and will carry 15 rnds (9mm) as compared to 8 rnds for the P6.
Own both, and both are flawless, dead-accurate shoots. Prefer the P6 for carry, but for some, the 8 rnds is a problem.
If you can, hold both and shoot both and see which works for you.

Kevin_d77

This is thru an Internet site.

I have been wanting a 226 for a while now. Already have a 220. But these P6's keep popping up at low prices it just intrigues me. Although I agree, long trigger and expensive mags is a def turn off. Wish I could actually see the 226 and handle it first....

Strafer Gott

A P6 or a 225 is an excellent shooter about the same size as a P239. With three magazines which they typically come with, the single stack isn't as much of a handicap. They are easily concealed. For wht they sell for, they are a heck of a deal. A P226 is more of a service pistol. I really want a Sig 226, and it is always on my hunt list. Either you like the Sig triggers or you don't, but it's hard to argue with the bloody ratholes they produce on target.

Que

As someone who has extensive experience with both the P6 and P226 I will add a few comments.

As already stated the P6 is the German police version of the P225 which is a compact version of the P220 in 9mm. There are some differences between the P6 and P225. First and probably foremost is the trigger. The P6 has a heavier pull. This can relatively easily be remedied by replacing the P6 mainspring with a standard P225 mainspring available From Wolff Springs. If you can push a pin you can do it yourself.

Next, the P6 feed ramp profile in earlier P6 is such that many have reported having difficulty feeding hollow points. My P6 is a 1978 and has the earlier profile and has never had difficulty feeding hollow points (I use PowrBall nonetheless). SIG changed the feed ramp profile in June 1989 to accommodate hollow points. Also, the P6 does not come with three dot contrast sights having plain black sights that that to me are not optimal for quick sight acquisition. I remedied this by installing a Trijicon front sight. Finally, the hammer is different on a P6 having a notch cut away that many surmise allows an armorer to know if the gun has been dropped on its hammer. I'm not sure if the P225 has the more recent rebounding hammer, but the P6 does not.

One thing that I really like about the P6 is that it is the earlier stamped and pinned slide. Many SIG folk such as myself prefer these earlier guns. Myself, I find it to be a matter of balance. It is quite possible that the P226 that the OP is looking at is also stamped and pinned which would be a big plus to me. Look for a roll pin through the serrations on the slide and an internal extractor for a quick ID of the pinned and stamped.

I consider the P6 and P226 both to be outstanding guns, about as good as it gets. In choosing between the two, condition being equal, it would depend what you are looking for. If you want a higher capacity full size duty pistol the 226 is the way to go. If you are happy with eight plus one rounds and are looking for a pistol that potentially could be carried, then the P6 is the way to go. To me the choice is a coin toss, one in which I might be hoping that the coin falls in favor of the P6.

As to buying a P6 or used 226, I would want to inspect the gun in person. While my 1978 NW had some slide wear and was like new internally, I was able to determine that in person. To me an actual inspection prior to acquisition is the A Plan with someone choosing a gun for you somewhat of a crapshoot despite the P6 generally being very nice overall.

I have recently acquired lightly used P6 mags in the $30 to $35 range.

Last edited: