Sig P320 Safety 2023

Hello Everyone,

New member here and grateful to have found this place. As an FYI, I did use the search feature for a recent topic about my questions below, but hadn't see a topic on it in quite a while so I hope it's ok to start a new thread.

I recently found myself back in the gun market after not buying one in close to 7 or 8 years. I've always had several that meet specific needs and not a ton of funds to buy a lot of extras.

I've been concealed carrying a Glock 27 (the .40 cal sub-compact) for years but as a very large guy, and with recent worldly events, I was wanting to upgrade to a full size due to control and capacity.

Having not been in the market for years, I didn't quite know what I wanted so went to a dealer and held a lot, looked a features, etc. and came away absolutely loving a Sig Sauer P320axg Combat. It's got upgraded trigger, flared mag well, threaded barrel, etc.

Filled out my paperwork and started my 3 day waiting period. Came home and started to look up a lot of videos so that I would know as much about my firearm as possible and BAM, I start seeing a ton of things about drop safety, accidental discharges, lawsuits, etc.

This obviously made me pause and has had me concerned.

From my research, it appears that the drop/fire issue has been resolved, but it appears that the accidental discharge issue is all the rage right now.

The reason why I'm coming here, is because I'd like to hear from people that have no dog in the fight. People that don't have anything to gain/lose by talking pro/con about this issue. Not Internet personalities or YouTube armchair quarterbacks. No, I'd like to hear from everyday users and people who are in the know.

Therefore, I'd certainly appreciate any input on this issue. While I love the Sig, I've not even fired it yet, and am not married to it whatsoever. And while I'm sure there are many similar firearms out there that have similar features for the price (feel free to share those if you'd like), I also don't want to not get it simply because of an issue that apparently hasn't been fully proven.

Thank you all for your time and I appreciate your input and expertise!

Steve

BarryLee

I originally was also very interested in the P320 line. Also, like you have sort of backed off due to all these reports. Some are easily dismissed as "operator error" of some sort and I suspect that is true. However, I saw a video of an Officer's Body CAM as he exited his vehicle with gun in holster and it fired. Now, again, I don't know all the specifics of this case or any of the others for that matter, but if I were to upgrade from my G26 right now it would probably be a G19.

wild cat mccane

I want the P320 Spectre bad. I'm holding off. If there is a "found" problem, there is no guarantee what happens to my purchase. Just not worth it right now.

jmr40

This may or may not be a real issue. The guns discharging when dropped was real and has apparently been resolved.

From what I've seen the current issue may well be incompatibility with some holsters. Most, if not all the current issues that I've heard about have happened when the gun was holstered. Locally we had a deputy have a Glock 17 discharge in his holster. That issue was traced back to the holster design and that holster is no longer allowed.

Glock, S&W, and most other striker fired guns use some sort of blade made into the trigger that does help prevent unintentional discharges. Sig chose not to do that, and they claim it isn't needed. Maybe it is needed.

FWIW, I really like the Sig 320 and have 3 of them. But I chose the version designed for the military that have a 1911 style manual safety. Sig 17 and Sig 18 X2. I had already bought one of each and ran across a deal too good to pass up on another used M18. I also have a Sig 365. All 4 of them have the manual safety and I prefer it that way. If I didn't want a manual safety, I'd save the money and buy a Glock.

Polinese

I'd be curious about the specific holsters involved in that body cam one. We use a safariland holster for duty and you can literally reach right in and pull the trigger when the gun is holstered, which makes it easy for something to get stuck in there too.

PatientWolf

IMHO there are enough questions that I will not own a P320. Yes, it may be an unfounded reputation or fixable by Sig or possibly guesssing which holster is not the problem, but I see no need to take that risk with so many good alternatives that don’t have the concern or risk. There isn’t the big cloud of doubt associated with the alternatives and I believe there are enough complaints that there must be “something” happening.

I owned one and sold it because I wasn’t comfortable with it even with assurances by Sig. I am not a Sig hater as there are others that I have no such concerns about such as the P2022, P226, P229 and P365.

I’d be looking at the list below rather than the P320.
H&K P30 or VP9
CZ P17 or P10
Glock 19
S&W M&P 9
Or others.

MTT TL

My daily concealed carry for most circumstances is a Sig 320c. The trigger is excellent, accuracy is great and I've never had a jam (round count around 1000). With a taller sight radius it is actually better for taller, larger people. It has never gone off by itself, although I've never dropped it either.

My only caution is reassembly after cleaning and maintenance must be exactly as specified in the manual or you will likely be confused.