Sig P290 to P290rs

Yung.gunr

Ok guys a couple questions about the Sig P290 & the RS model. I have a P238 and really like it, but I am trying to get my wife to carry and the P238 is probably my best option to get her to. So I need to get a new carry gun. I have been looking at the P290 but...
What exactly is the difference between the regular original P290 and the RS model?
If you get the 290 can you upgrade it to the RS model?

I keep seeing them on Backpage (I really want to buy locally from a individual, save some $$ and all), but a lot of them don't say if they are the RS or the original.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to upgrade from my TCP (.380) ASAP.

ClydeFrog

P290 vs P290RS....

Im not a big expert on SIGs but I've seen a few reviews & online videos explaining how SIG Sauer remade the P290 to the newer P290RS format.
Gunblast does a great clip on Youtube.com with the sub compact P290RS.
The older P290 was flawed so if you buy a new SIG, Id check the box & the label(s). ;)

Clyde

Tomac

Definitely go for the RS over the earlier/flawed P290. I've heard of SIG converting the P290 to P290RS but I don't know if they charge for the conversion.
I'd originally purchased my first P290RS as a BUG but I shoot it so well despite the size & DAO trigger that it's now my EDC.
115's are downright pleasant in the P290RS, my carry Hornady Crtical Duty 135's are stiffer but not bad and 147's are at my personal comfort limit but much slower on followup shots than the lighter loads.
Off-topic: My wife had the SIG P238 but neither of us cared for the thought of her having to manipulate the small safety under stress. We ended up replacing it w/a Kahr P380 for her EDC & a SIG P250 subcompact .380 as her nightstand/range gun.
Tomac

915A

The updated P290 RS has DAO Restrike capability, a reshaped beavertail frame, recontoured magazine release, reduced and reshaped slide release and finger-grip magazine floorplates.

We have 500rds through ours and not a single issue, other than getting used to the DAO and the teardown which is a PITA until you do it once or twice and then its easy as can be.

Attachments

• sig_p_290-tm-tfb.jpg
    sig_p_290-tm-tfb.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 44