Sig p238

Wendyj

Found one today for less than $425.00. New in box 2 mags. Night sights. Getting hot weather. Would really like one for cc. Anyone have malfunctions in one. Reviews appear pretty good on line. Trigger little heavy but this is a ten foot defensive hand gun.

Ibmikey

Search the Firing Line, I love my Sig 238, reliable, accurate and easy to carry. However even though it is easy to shoot my Glock 42 is absolutely the easiest shooting micro pistol I own. Either makes a super carry pistol...also check out the P 938 which is only slightly larger but with more zip.

Wendyj

I've got a glock 27 and additional spor wind barrell in 9 mm for it. That little sig would go in a shirt pocket. Is it ammo friendly? I don't reload pistol ammo. Just rifle.

smokehouse4444

That little SIG is a wonderful handgun. I had an old Colt Mustang that I really liked, but I was not real confident of it handling the most powerful 380 loads that i wanted to be shooting. I sold it and recently bought the p238. It's had nothing even close to a hiccup witj everything I've shot through it, including the dirtiest, cheapest available, to the hottest Underwood Ammo offerings.
That Glock 42 is the size of my Kahr CM9, so I'm not sure that is what you are looking for. I will say that the P238 is the same weight as that same CM9, but disappears when carrying much better, which is saying a lot.
For true pocket carry, its probably on the borderline. The LCP, TCP type guns may be better. But for a combination IWB\pocket carry type gun that is built like a tank it will be hard to beat.

By the way, while the trigger pull is slightly heavy, it is sharp and very fast. I prefer it for the way it is carried. Good luck.

Keithk42

I picked up a p238 a few months ago. I've put 450 rounds through it of varying types off ammo with no malfunctions of any kind.

It's a cool little gun, works well for pocket carry and most importantly I've found it to be 100% reliable.

TailGator

My wife carries the P238 regularly, and it has gone to the range with us regularly for a couple of years. No problems with any ammo we have tried, including a rather lightly loaded home brew.

Trigger little heavy but this is a ten foot defensive hand gun.

We regularly shoot out to 25 and 30 feet. The sights are excellent, and accuracy is good enough to be enjoyable at that range. I feel like the human behind it is the limiting factor rather than the pistol.

As for trigger weight, our is a bit heavy for a single action, but not heavy in the overall scheme of things (I would estimate around 4 pounds, but I don't have a gauge). Ours is quite crisp, and I therefore consider it quite a good trigger; perhaps that is making me underestimate the actual pull weight. My only gripe - and it is picking at nits - is that the trigger face texture is rougher than needed.

If you want a pocket pistol and can grab one at that price, I definitely would. Heck, I would grab another one for myself at that price, and I am not a guy who buys two of the same model. Ours came with only one mag, so double check that you don't need to pick up a spare.

Dragline45

Anyone have malfunctions in one

My cousin has one, I went shooting with him on it's first outing and while I really want to like the gun it had 3 failure to feeds in about 50 rounds. With that said the gun was used and it was fairly dirty but not dirty enough that it should have caused problems. Id like to get my hands on a 938 and see how it does.

Wendyj

Husband makes me keep the glock in the console. I carry Bersa Thunder stainless 380 in purse and shoot it better but would like to have the sig for light summer clothes. Indoor range has guns for rent but not this one. I would be buying without having a chance to fire. I rented the Bersa after husband bought me a Glock 42 which I didn't like. I could really group with the Bersa and slide isn't bad. It's a sig so it should hold some value if I don't like it but reviews are really good.

Ibmikey

The Sig is a very different pistol than a Bersa, it is flat, smaller, fits the hand better, lighter and a single action pistol hat should be carried " cocked and locked" which is safer to carry in a protective holster. I much prefer the Sig as a flawless shooting pistol (my 938 is just as reliable) and I also prefer the single action design. Another pistol I indicated before is the Glock 42 which in my opinion is the easiest shooting micro .380 pistol made even if slightly larger than the Sig.

Bill DeShivs

The Colt Mustang and the SIG P238 are basically the same gun.
Both are copies of the Star DK. SIG specifically made their copy uglier.
None of them are as lightweight, flat, small, inexpensive as the Keltec P3AT.

RickB

We had one on a side stage at an IDPA match.
Well over 100 people each put five rounds through it, and there were two malfs. After applying a little oil, it kept running the rest of the day.

fastlane

I have both the P238 and P938. Both have been very reliable. At $425.00 I would purchase the P238. The P938 is not as concelable as the P238 for pocket carry.

Wendyj

Got it today. Only run one magazine through it but it's great. Perfect size. Recoil near to nothing. Trigger not as bad as they said. Really happy with it. It's a sig.

HisSoldier

I bought the P238 HD, which has the frame made of stainless. I sure wish Sig made the P938 with an optional HD frame.
The safety is very secure in these little guns, it lifts the sear off the hammer while it blocks the hammer, plus, they have a FP block as well.

jcv

My daughter bought one that was malfunctioning right out of the box with no improvement after 500 rounds of multiple types through multiple magazines. A trip back to the factory and a new extractor made all the difference. It's been 100% since.

BillyJack3

Great little .380. Mine has been very reliable. Had the rosewood grips and was a bit thin for me. Got the Hogue wrap around grips and it made a world of difference.

Andrewh

glad you like it.
I know mine came with the 1 extended 7 rd mag. I picked up a colt mustang 6 round flush mag and 2 of the promag 10 rd's as range/spare mags.

of course the pro mags were hit or miss. 1 wouldn't feed, the other was perfect.
spent the extra dollar or 2 on the nickle plated mags instead of blued due to the reviews on the blued ones sticking so bad.

Nail Shooter

I have an all stainless "HD" model and the wife's has rosewood grips and the aluminum frame. Both function well and are quite accurate for their size. Triggers could be a little lighter though.

tipoc

The little Sig works and is a very good size for a pocket gun. Like all sub-compact pieces they take some practice to get to learn to handle them cleanly and fumble free. For the breed they are very shoot-able.

Below are some groups shot with a variety of ammo at 8 yards. A better shooter could do better.

tipoc