sig p238

bearol63

I'm thinking of picking up a 238 anyone have any issues with this gun? I have heard of some in the past and didn't know if sig had corrected them or if I should stay away from this gun?

Bucks Gun Shop

Right now the stories are all over the place from excellent to terrible... Given that, I would steer clear of the 238 for right now... There is clearly something wrong with them that remains to be resolved... Could you get a good one - yep... Could you get a bad one - yep... Why risk it when you can still find the Colt Pocketlite around for a couple of hundred dollars more?

Aristides

Get the P238

I have the P238. It had numerous problems with FTE's and FTF's when I first got it. Sent it back to Sig a couple of times, then they came out with the new "Flat" spring. Problems solved. I shoot mine alot now, and no failures whatsoever. It is very accurate, very reliable, soft shooting, drop-in-your-pocket easy to carry. My favorite pistol. I'm about to buy a second one.

If you get it and happen to have any trouble, Sig will fix it for you. Ask for Scott in customer service. But I doubt you'll have any issues. Get the Sig, you'll love it.

BarryLee

Went to a local gun shop last week and they had loads of them on display. I mentioned this and the guy said, “funny last summer I couldn’t get enough of them and all of a sudden no one was interested”. Well, it seems like the word may have gotten out about the suspect performance. It is a shame because they really have the potential to be very nice little guns.

Last edited:

lcpiper

New guy here, looks like a decent group.

The Bodyguard is the hot new gun on the block for .380s right now, probably explains some of the lack of interest in the P238.

Bought a S&W Bodyguard 3 weeks ago as a carry gun for myself and something my small Korean wife could shoot, just got it to the range last Wednsday and I had no real problems with it but my wife had trouble with the DAO trigger, the pull was just too long for her to manipulate reliably.

I traded it in on a SIG P238 two tone and got it home and had immediate feed problemsI took it to the shop and they had trouble too but asked me to take it to the range and give it a good run, gave me a free box of PMC Ball as well to make sure I had at least a 100 rounds to work through it.

Next day I was at the range and fought my way through 100 rounds with nothing but trouble if I had more then 4 rounds in the mag. One item of note, they had also suggested I manually pull back and release the slide and not relie on the slide stop to feed the first round, this did improve feeding of the first round.

After the 100 rounds I was pretty disgusted, and I mentioned it to the range guys and one of them checked out the weapon and said it was too dry, he took it back and oiled it up good, I bought another 50 rounds, went back into the range and it went through 3 mags, two with 5 rounds, and one with 6 rounds, all without a hitch. It was like a whole different gun.

I have ordered some new mags and some custom grips and a set of springs,( mine didn't come with the new flat spring), for the day when they need changing. Those last 3 mags made one heck of a difference in my confidence with this P238.

I still need to get my wife and this gun to the range at the same time but for now I feel very good about it. And as for the Bodyguard I am not a bit unhappy with the swap, the SIG has a much better SA trigger. And you can carry it locked and cocked just like a 1911. In fact, if you are a 1911 guy you will like the similar layout as well.

Robk

So many still are a bit shy about the P238. I would be also with all the bad reports you can find. I haven't followed them too closely, but if SIG has provided a fix, than great. Just start reading the reports again. If you see less bad reports, than assume they fixed them. But we must also learn this about these small pistols, disassemble a bit, clean and lubricate befor shooting. Read reports about the Kimber Solo, seemed to be the same, they shoot better wet. Guess the tolerances are a bit tighter on these smal pistols.

BarryLee

I still need to get my wife and this gun to the range at the same time but for now I feel very good about it. And as for the Bodyguard I am not a bit unhappy with the swap, the SIG has a much better SA trigger.

Welcome and glad the P238 is working out. I think SIG maybe rushed it to market to take advantage of the .380 rush. Sounds like they may have worked out a lot of the bugs. I really do like the design, but will probably stick with my LCP for now.

lcpiper

Thanx for the welcome. I have to admit as soon as those first rounds nose dived into the feed ramp I was on the net reading all the bad reports. Of course some of those reports are backed up solidly by SIG's recall of some of the P238s and the fact that they are on Rev.3 of the magazine. Add in new gun break in time and guys like me getting used to not limp wristing their pocket pistols. And of course the guys who arn't having problems are not posting problems.

The fact that SIGs have a life time waranty is comforting but it will not make up for a poorly designed gun. I don't think the P238 is poorly designed but I do believe they have had some problems to work out and that they have been properly addressed. I also believe some guys got some poor costomer service from the US factory reps and that some guys recieved excellent help.

I'll be sure to post back after I get the gun out there again and I will be sure not to replace the recoil spring until after I have seen at least another 200-300 rounds through the tube and have a more certain picture of it's current reliability.

jreXD9

I had one with night sights and rosewood grips. it looked pretty and shot very well. I really liked it, but one day I spied a PM9 and traded straight up for it. My thinking was why a .380 when I could have a very good 9mm in the same size?

Aristides

You Should Install the FLAT Spring!

LCPiper...

I have alot of experience working through problems with my 238, discussing them with Sig Customer Service, etc. It sounds like you purchased a gun that was manufactured and distributed prior to the availability of the updated, FLAT spring. I strongly encourage you to install and use the new flat spring when you receive it. I guess it would be comforting to know that your 238 works well without it, but from what I have learned from Sig, that new flat spring is a key factor in "fixing" this pistol. Personally, I wouldn't have confidence in my P238 without it.

Also...yes, by all means, keep it clean and oiled. During every few range trips, based on Sig's recommendation, I break down the gun and put a couple drops of Militec-1 gun oil on the rails, then re-assemble and shoot a couple mags (to get the rails hot and help the Militec-1 bond with the metal). This helps maintain lubrication, even when the rails are otherwise "dry" (not dripping wet from a recent cleaning/lubing). Once you are familiar and practiced with the break-down and re-assemply process, you can do this in 60 seconds and be shooting again.

For me, these four factors have resulted in owning a P238 that runs very smoothly and without any further failures...

1) New updated flat spring.

2) New updated magazine.

3) Clean the gun after every range trip with Rem Oil
(or your own favorite gun oil)

4) A couple drops of Militec-1 on the rails, during range sessions, every few trips.

The first two factors above are simple, one-time fixes.
The last two are really just basic care of any pistol.

With the new fixes and basic pistol care, in my opinion, there is no longer any reason to shy away from this excellent CCW pistol, if the caliber and other features of the gun happen to appeal to you.

Marlin009

I bought one in January this year. Great shooter but it was chewing up the brass big time. Sent it back to Sig, came back with the new spring and the same problem. Second time back they replaced it, no explanation. It only had about 150 rounds through it. My LGS kept it and I got a Kahr P380. :cool: I'm actually glad it happened now, I like the Kahr better.

So no, no issues anymore. :D

Last edited:

lcpiper

Aristides, Thanx for the recommendation. My first thoughts was that I should use that original spring for the learning experience so to speak. So I would be able to say for certain that it was or was not impacting the weapon's performance. But as I read your post I realize that I would just be driving over the same bumpy road so that I could say "Hey that road is still kinda rough".

I'll swap that spring as soon as it arrives, Thanx.

Aristides

LCPiper,

You are welcome.

Another reason to drop that new flat spring right in there... if you were to still have any problems, you would know that it is something besides the spring, and you could ship the gun right back to Sig and have them make it right. I doubt you'll have further problems, though.

Keep us posted...good luck!

Aristides

P238 "Fixed" Date

Yes, in fact I do.

According to Scott in CS, a pistol with a build date of Dec 2011 (Edit: Oops, I mean, Dec 2010) or later should have the updated mags and the flat spring. The date should be listed on the box.

Even with that information, I would suggest looking at the spring on any P238 before purchasing, just to be sure.

Last edited:

k31

just bought a beauty p238 and have 100 rounds through it with out a single fail to feed/fire with the exception of the old Winchester hollows i had. 1 jam the rest fed fine.they are kinda jagged at the nose and and had some slight corrosion on the lead but after cleaned the feed just fine. the S&W isnt half as good looking either. cant wait for my black pearl grips to come in.
GetAttachment.jpg

finishonfox.jpg

Marlin009

aristides said:
Yes, in fact I do.

According to Scott in CS, a pistol with a build date of Dec 2011 or later should have the updated mags and the flat spring. The date should be listed on the box.

Even with that information, I would suggest looking at the spring on any P238 before purchasing, just to be sure.

I would hope they could get them fixed by then. :D

Mine was 12/15/2010. It's not just a spring issue. I've read posts from people with Feb 2011 guns with problems.

bearol63

I did pull the trigger and purchased one. It fires very well and am very happy so far with it. Right now my only complaint is that it came with only one mag but it is a 7 round with the pinky extender, which makes it a whole different gun much nicer on the hands. Does anyone know where to purchase more 7 round mags with extender for a decent price?