Sig P238 vs. Colt Mustang Pocketlite

Falcon642

Been looking looking at pocket .380s lately, (guns that are easy to conceal, can you ever have enough? :D).

Held a P238 and a Mustang pocketlite at the local gunstore, really liked em both but haven't had any range time with either. Just looking for general impressions of how these two guns compare to each other.

The Sig is $100 cheaper than the Colt, but thats not a huge dealbreaker. I don't trade or sell guns, so whichever I get will be mine for life, so I don't care about resale value.

Thanks for the input guys and gals.

hornet41

Wife has a P238 that has eaten hundreds of rounds of various makers ammo with never a hick up!! It's the only simi auto she can rack the slide on with NO problem!!
'Mo

L2R

p238 is just fine

put various ammo including hollow points thru it. about 200 so far.
So far, no hiccups.

Would like some data to back up that they are flawed. First I have heard of it.

The video shows a Mustang +2, which is not in production. When Colt reintroduced the Mustang Pocketlite, they redesigned the ejector and the "problem" identified in the video is no longer an issue with the new Colts. I have an original Colt Mustang (and a matching DA Pony) and I don't see this ejector "problem" as a problem. Call it a "problem" to anyone who has ever detail stripped a Ruger Mark III or 22/45 and be prepared to get laughed out of town.

The SIG was cloned from the original Colt design. Personally, I'd rather have the Colt. I just don't warm up to SIG's propensity the steal Colt designs and then try to make them look like SIGs.

dajowi

The Sig while similar, the Colt has more contoured softer lines. If I was to choose between them, (I'm not a fan of the short grip frame) I'd pick the Colt because I think it's more blended and looks nicer...IMHO.

198f1a74-587a-4707-86a6-12b261df3450_zps379df081.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

kcub

I've owned both guns. If they have fixed the issue in the new Colt, by all means, go for it.

Ibmikey

I have a 238 that gobbles ammo and a 938 that does the same without a failure in many hundreds of rounds, however Sig has yet to stop by and do a youtube fix for a non existent problem. Also both designs ( colt and sig) are pirated from the wonderful little Star DK.

psyfly

Get the Colt. You'll feel better about passing it down to your grandchildren.

The 'original' Colt is a clone of the original Star D series :).

Will

L2R

Data

A video on improving a gun certainly isn't data.

A sample of some quantity along with some percentage of these guns having the same issue would be data.

I only know that mine works fine and I haven't seen any evidence that suggests others have either.

Take any mass produced item made and I am sure you can find someone that got a lemon and is ticked off. That doesn't mean they are all defective.

kcub

Still refuse to watch, huh?

The gun works fine. Nobody said otherwise. The issue is when you break it down to clean it. It is easy to accidently get that ejector out of position.

KyJim

I have a Mustang from back in the 80s and experienced the ejector "problem" back before everything was on the Internet. PITA. However, the gun shoots fine and has been reliable. It actually shoots better than my Sig 238, probably because the sights are more precise.

Personally, I'd rather have the Colt. I just don't warm up to SIG's propensity the steal Colt designs and then try to make them look like SIGs.
It's not a Colt design at all. It's a Star design which Colt copied. And, of course, everyone copies the Colt 1911 design.

lee n. field

StarDK380_L_small.JPG

What's that lineage, again?

I thought folks might be interested to see these pictures of my Star Model DK.

It's a .380, and I regret that I neglected to put anything in the pictures to establish scale. At the time I first bought it (used), it was the smallest .380 or .32 made. It has an aluminum frame and is lighter than most .25s I'm familiar with. Star's excellent ergonomic design means that the gun has less felt recoil than the all-steel (and much larger) Walther PPK .32 I used to have.

The weapon fires from a locked breech, identical to that of a 1911, complete with a tiny little swinging link under the barrel and lugs up top that lock into the slide. The Star ignition train is better thought out than on the 1911 (FWIW, it's a younger design), and, as I've said, the safety is immeasurably better, mechanically speaking.

The magazine holds six rounds, and, as you can see, I carry both Glaser Safety Slugs and Winchester SilverTips. The spare magazine is the only aftermarket I've ever tried that works. Not very much power, there, but I've had this little piece with me on most of the adventures in my adult life, and it's one of my very few named guns.

I call her "Estrellita".

The really fun part is that I can point this pistol in the general direction of a man-sized object, look 90 degrees away from the target, pull the trigger, and hit the target. I used to use a 55-gallon oil drum at 25 yards or so. The only other weapon I have that works this well for me is my 4" 1976 ("200th Year of American Liberty") Ruger Security Six.

If you look closely, you can see the slide-lettering reflected from the glass of scanner and again by the chrome of the slide.

http://www.lneilsmith.org/gunpix-06.html

L2R

why yes, I did watch it.

your post was short and it simply said 'the ejector is flawed'. So, yes, someone did say it didn't work and it was you.

When I watched the video, it was clear that you could screw it up but that still doesn't mean the gun is defective in of itself, out of the box as the short text implied.

I could also say that original 1911 is flawed and walk away without clarifying by saying, 'If you stick the end of the barrel deep in mud, it may explode in your hand".

It was simply a miscommunication, you understood what you meant but at least I, for one, did not.

The odds of your or I writing everything with perfect clarity is about as good as you guessing whether I watched a video or not. 50/50 is my guess.

So thanks for explaining it a little better but no reason to be condescending.

To the Op, hope you find some good answers and find the gun you want. The Colt looks sweet and it is on my bucket list as well; however, I am quite pleased with the p238 so far.

kcub

The design is flawed. Sorry I didn't go into more detail, I figured the vid was good enough.

comn-cents

I have had one of each and still own the Sig, The sights on the Colt suck. No failures of any kind in either of mine.

Dondor

failing to see how the design is flawed. push to hard on something that isnt supposed to be pushed that far is far from being flawed.

do you drive a vehicle? how about you go 40 MPH then put it in reverse. i bet it will, i know because i missed a shift. design flaw? no... operator flaw.

same thing. making something do it wasn't designed to do isnt a design flaw, it's operator error.

go google glock limpwrist.