Sig P238 Magazines

Yung.gunr

Just picked up a Sig P238 that came with eight mags, yeah that's right eight....

Two of them are Colt Mustang magazines with the extended pinky grip. I don't think they are Colt brand but we will see how they function..

Five more are Sig brand mags and another is some other brand that I am unfamiliar with.

My questions are, does anyone know what brand the one is and what the story is with the different style followers on the other Sig mags?

Hopefully the pics I try and post will be viewable...

Attachments

• IMG_4193_zps406816fa.jpg
    IMG_4193_zps406816fa.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4196_zpsea005338.jpg
    IMG_4196_zpsea005338.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 33

KyJim

Metalform has manufactured mags for Colt for years, though the 1911 mags these days are made by Checkmate. I think Metalform made the mags for the original Mustang. I have a fairly early Sig P238 and it runs my Colt Mustang mags fine, including this one:

Sig_238_MustangMag_DSCN1440.jpg

Yung.gunr

Thanks for the great news about that logo. Well at least I take it as great news because it looks like Metalform gets good reviews.

Does anyone know about the differences in the followers in the mags? I hear they are different versions of the P238 mags. The problem is I hear they changes were done due to reliability issues. Does anyone know which are which and which were supposed to be problematic? I'm not finding too much info.... I'm out of practice with my google Fu apparently.

Oh yeah Jim, two of the mags I got are the extended ones. Those make the grip on the teeny 238 real good.

EAJ702

I believe there have been 3 generations (changes to follower design) of the OE SIG magazines.

Your description of two extended magazines suggest they’re 3rd generation, and supposedly the most reliable.

That said I have an early P238 and haven’t experienced any issues with any generation of the SIG magazines, nor the colt mustang magazines that I've tried. I would check each magazine for reliability before replacing them.

If you need extra magazines SIG was running a special a short while back. I believe they were 3 (extended version) for $108 shipped. If interested check with and order through customer service. If not, they appear to run the sale periodically.

Good luck! :)

sig238_02.jpg

Nakanokalronin

The first two generations of the Sig mags looked like the Colt mags with humps at the front of the follower. The third gen mags have a slope with a dimple in the middle.