Sig p232 - will it run without slide catch lever spring?

defjon

Just picked up a sig p232.

Haven't shot it yet.

Used gun from a local gun store.

Field strip is easy if you are familiar with the ppk type.

However, it is clearly missing the slide catch lever spring.

It's an easy purchase from what I can tell, but all function seems to exist currently - slide locks back, single and double action is good, decocker works etc.

Is this spring essential? Some research suggests this is an often lost part. Tends to fly out and get lost.

If it will SAFELY run without it...

Forte S+W

I wouldn't risk it. Even if it is safe, it could damage the slide stop and scratch up the finish on both the slide and frame in the process. Buy a replacement and install it before you take it out shooting.

Mackie244Bud

Check this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIoRBKpwLR4

The Spring is really for the De-Cocker
The magazine Follower should push it up on the last round to lock back the slide.

The De-Cocker should function if you did it manually an did not rely on the Spring.
I do not know how floppy the De-Cocker / Slide Stop lever is without the spring.
That is something that you will have to confirm.

My thought is that under fire you probably would not want the De-Cocker falling downward...could jam up the gun.
If you shot the gun hold the De-Cocker up.

However as much as you are excited to shoot your new P232 I would just wait for the Spring and order 2..

It's your call though

It's an easy purchase from what I can tell

Do you have a line om a new Decocker Spring?
Any I see states Discontinued from Manufacturer.

Last edited:

PSP

The slide stop spring serves no other purpose than to hold the stop down and out of the way while shooting until the last round when the follower pushes it up to catch the slide open. It has nothing, nothing to do with the decocker.

I believe you could shoot the gun with no repercussions other than the stop catching the slide open before the mag empties. However there could be a bit of sloppy play that may cause extra wear and tear on the slide stop, (they wear a bit as it is). Wait til the spring shows up IMHO.

Love these guns. You'll enjoy the pleasure of the most fondle friendly gun design made. Shooting is cool too.

Post needs a pic.

Bart Noir

My guess (and we are all guessing) is that the slide stop will bounce up and catch the slide, every time it is fired.
Now, if you taped it down then all you loose is the slide staying back after the magazine is empty.

Bart Noir

bamaranger

lost & DIY

I have lost two (yes, TWO) of those devils, and am in the process of trying to locate a genuine replacement at present. In the meantime...........

I took a paperclip and formed a homemade part. Yes I did!! If I had some wire spring stock, I could likely form one that was completely satisfactory, but this ersatz one will work 'till I get the real deal.

The decocker lever and spring function just like the part on the larger SiGS, and look the similar too, except they are smaller overall.

No big deal, a stout paper clip ot two and some needle nose pliers , a bit of trial and error.

defjon

Thank you for your input!

I sourced a spring from here:

MATRIX PRECISION

It's on its way. I'll report back once it arrives.

I decided of course, to not shoot it until I get that spring in.

It's it very hard to install the spring?

I can't find anything that really outlines the process.

I do see a space where maybe it could go.

PSP

Here's a photo of the spring. Might help. You could shoot the gun without potential harm by simply removing the part. All that would happen is the slide would not lock back. Just a thought.

defjon

Spring arrived yesterday.

Excellent communication from matrix precision, had response back almost immediately to my questions.

I got the spring installed last night, no issues with that.

Off to the range tomorrow!