Sig P232 SL

Bullrock

Move over Sig fans, I just bought one! I didn't mean to. I have been hunting for a CZ75 Compact D in glossy blue, so I went to a dealer this morning who thought he had one. He didn't! What he did have is a Sig P232 for $549.00 and I bought it.

OK you impact and penetration guys, it's only a .38, but the piece is beautiful! Stainless steel with decoration (special edition, I think) on both sides of the slide. Wood grips, gold hammer, trigger, decocker, slide release and screws.

It fits terrific, feels good, looks beautiful, and I'm taking it to bed with me tonight. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm not expecting anything but excellent results.

My only neg. is the mag capacity. Only 7 rounds. I just ordered a custom holster for summer CCW from Rudy at Black Hills Leather. I don't know much about .38's and all my other guns are 9mm. I bought a box of Winchester .38 special, 100GR, HP, silver tip.

If anyone has any experience with one of these I'd like to know how they shoot as I'm not going to have a chance to get to the range until Sunday. Also, any information you impact and penetration experts have on the P232 and .38 ammunition would be much appreciated, in lay language pertaining to personal protection, of course.

I may still get that CZ I was thinking about, but I'm not in any hurry now, and I don't expect to pay as much as I would have been willing to before MY NEW SIG!!!! I'd put a triple happy on here, but my smilies don't work...

WillBrayjr

I also had one of those puppys too! It's the finest 380acp on the planet. Very accurate considering it's size and as with all Sigs, it's superbly dependable. Excellent choice in my opinion. ;)

MarkSteveND

I'm on the same boat. I got myself a new P232 in stainless as well. I haven't shot it yet, but I truly am looking forward to it. It feels and looks soooo good. On top of that, it's easily concealable. I'm on the lookout for some nice ankle holsters. Which one would you recommend?

Bullrock, I don't think a 38 special is the ammo you want for this one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought .380ACP is differnt from 38 specials.

Bullrock

Mark, I've been thinking about that! The problem is my Sig. didn't come with an owners manual. I trust the dealer because the Sig is the 8th gun I have purchased from him. I picked out the ammo. I wanted as much hitting power as possible. He didn't tell me it wouldn't work or not to use it. I'm not going to load that pretty little sucker until I find out though.

In downloading the 232's user manual, all it says is to load the 'proper ammo'.
So if you, or anyone out there on TFL knows, please let us know.

PS: I have never used an ankle holster so I can't help you there. Belt holsters, I know...

Much Obliged.

WillBrayjr

Sigs are very well built. Since you have the SL model +P won't hurt the gun any. When manufacturers say proper ammo, they mean the round that the gun specifically chambered for in which case it 380acp or 380auto. the 9mm is the same way, some manufacturers call it 9mm luger and some call it 9mm parabellum.

girevik

ammo

you will find out soon enough that .38 special is a very different bullet than the .380 that you want. congratulations on your purchase. i myself am the happy new owner of a sig p229 in .40.

Bullrock

girevik, I don't want to find out at the expense of my personal safety or the expense of the handgun. Do you know whether or not .38 special ammunition is safe for a Sig 232 sl?

Where in hell is handy when I need his advice???

MarkSteveND

Bullrock,
We're going to want to use 380ACP or 380Auto, just like what Will mentioned. Look into getting some Federal Premium Hydra Shok Hollow Points and some CorBon .380 +p ammo. I think those should be good enough for personal protection.

No4Mk1

Bullrock, 38 special ammo will definitely NOT fit in your 232. No concern about personal safety, since you won't even get the rounds in the magazine.... :p 380ACP is very different ammo and in no way interchangeable.

My Sig 232 is my everyday carry piece, and one of my favorite pistols. You've done well and won't be displeased. Now just go exchange that ammo for the right stuff!

:)

WillBrayjr

The 38spl won't fit in the Sig P232. The caliber is ingraved in the slide. If you don't have a manual and in doubt, ask someone familiar with firearms!

michael t

Your pistol takes 380 auto same as 380 Bersa or PPK/S or P3AT by KelTec.The 380 round is considered by many to be bottom of line, in a SD round.

bp78

I have a Sig P230

My P230 in stainless is a very nice gun & easy to carry & conceal. It's a bit small for my hands which is why I also bought a P228. My P230 is a permanent part of my collection though, I can't forsee ever trading it on anything. I use WWB for range duty and Federal P.D. rounds for carry.
enjoy.

Springer45

It's a very nice gun. But the Sig 230/232 can bite the web of your hand if you hold it too high on the grip. Make sure the web of your shooting hand stays out of the way of the hammer & slide.

bp78

the web-of-the-hand bite..

Springer45, I have exactly that scar. It seems to just graze me when I take it to the range and fire a lot of rounds in a day.

Bullrock

Thanks for the help on.380 ammo.

Springer45, I hope I remember your warning when I shoot this beauty. I used to own a Beretta TomCat. I'm right handed and the slide caught me in the middle of my left thumb. Punched a hole in it, blood all over the place. It caused some nerve damage. I held it too high as you have warned about.

If I forget, I hope what you mean by 'bite' is a little one.

Much Obliged

fignozzle

It's a gorgeous gun, shown here in blued, but it is even prettier in stainless.

By the way, I have two!
I've got one of them in stainless for sale with box and manual for about $100 less than you bought yours for, Bullrock.

PM me or email fignozzle at yahoo dot com for pics/info if anyone is interested!

Fig

Bullrock

Ok, Hold it, wait a minute! I just fired that beautiful 232 sl that fits so nice in my hand and feels so well balanced. I believe the words used in several replies were it bites. I put two 7 round mags through it this morning and I could not find a place on the grip where I could hold onto the gun and hit anything. The base of my thumb is black & blue from just 14 Rds.

Before anyone tells me so about trying before buying, there is no way to do that where I live. No rentals anywhere near here. I never have the had the opportunity to try before I buy any handgun. Regarding the 232sl, I've never been more disappointed. It's worthless. Anyone want to buy a Sig.? CHEAP!

Maybe I'll get a Bersa Thunder for summer carry. Does anyone know if they bite?