Sig P229 problem and range report

Silvanus

I took my new Sig P229 (9mm, DA/SA) to the range today. After loading up 2 magazines to full capacity (13 rounds) I started shooting at 15 meters. After about 6 or 7 rounds I checked the target and was happy to see all the shots in a tight group right in the center of the target :) The trigger and accuracy of this pistol are amazing. I've never shot a gun before where the sights were zeroed perfectly right out of the box for me.

I continued shooting when I noticed a too light primer strike. I've shot this ammo in my other pistols (Glock & BHP) and it always worked so far (Magtech, Hirtenberger & Geco). It happened several times with all brands and the rounds all went off on the second strike.

Another problem I noticed was that the slide didn't always lock back after firing the last round. And I know that I didn't put my thumb on the slide lock while firing the pistol. I sometimes did this with my Sig Mosquito, so I know I have to use a different grip than the one I'm used to (and I did).

Now I'm a little disappointed, because I expect a Sig to work flawlessly right out of the box. And apart from the malfunctions I really like this gun a lot.

Do you have any ideas/suggestions, what could be the cause of the problems I'm having with this pistols and how I could fix them? Or should I go back to my dealer and have him send the pistol to Sig Sauer to fix it?

Here's a photograph of the primer. Is this normal for a Sig? Shouldn't the firing pin hit the center of the primber?

Last edited:

guypowell

If this is a new pistol give it several hundred rounds for things to loosen up before you get dismayed. Especially with the slide failing to lock back, tight springs coupled with low powered ammo could very well be the culprit. Also, SIGs need to be well lubed to function properly.
When my P229 was new it had the same failure to lock back for the first 2-300 rounds. After that the problem vanished, never to return.
One thing's for sure, SIG has one of the best C.S. departments in the business and they will help, if needed.

Shadi Khalil

Hello,

I had the slide lock problem right out of the box with my 239. I put about thousand rounds through it and it didnt go away. I ended up sending it back when I noticed the roll pin walking. I sent it back and 4000 rounds later, no problems. The whole process of sending it was simple and painless. I had my pistol back in less than 2 weeks. I say give Sig a call or email victoria @ sig.

Good luck.

chris in va

My friend's new 229 had lots of issues the first 2-300 rounds. FTE, FTF etc. Once that was out of the way it's dead reliable.

Sig even mentions in their emails to 'break it in' first.

LUPUS

Silvanus first glad to see that you got one of your grails, a SIG Sauer P series pistol. It may not be the correct place but I am also glad to see you getting a high end 1911. Congrats for your new pistols.

Most of the SIG Sauer pistols I bought NIB had slide locking problems after the last round. The mechanical reason arises from the pistol itself for this issue is the balance between the recoil spring and the magazine spring. If you use a slightly heavier magazine spring, or wait for the recoil spring and the slide catch spring to wear out to soften a little bit, the slide locking problem after the last round disappears.

The practical reason for this issue arises from the shooters griping technique and the main reason is the location of the shooting hands' thumb location. If the right hand thumb is located over the slide catch lever or even it touches the lever, the slide locking issue after the last round appears even with the pistols that are pretty well broken in. So I also advice you to check your gripping technique with the SIG Sauer pistols.

Regards.

Silvanus

Thanks for the advise so far. I'll continue shooting the Sig for a while and if the problems don't disappear after a couple of hundred rounds I'll get in touch with SIG.

Silvanus first glad to see that you got one of your grails, a SIG Sauer P series pistol. It may not be the correct place but I am also glad to see you getting a high end 1911

Thank you :) I always wanted a Sig P229 or 226. I'm glad I finally got one. It really is my personal "grail" gun. As for the 1911, let's just say I now understand why everybody loves them...;)

SA2112

The old saw of "a pistol needs 200 rounds to 'break in'" is bunk. Some really fine firearms, may or may not, need more.

Best thing about Sig is they will stand behind their product like few, if any, others.

Took my .40 cal P229 400-500 rounds to "settle in"... and I haven't had a single problem with the 15,000+ rounds I've sent from it since then.