SIG P229 Ported 357 barrels?

JIH

Got a new P229 two-tone in .40 a couple of days ago and I am wanting to buy a barrel in .357SIG. Having shot the round for the first time today in a non-compensated P229, I'm thinking about getting a compensated barrel. I'm not a recoil sissy... but I don't want to have to start at one-foot to get a three-shot string on a six-foot target, if you get my meaning.

So, who makes good compensated .357 barrels for my gun? I have no intention of modifying the slide... just want a longer barrel. I know about the Fire Dragons... are they any good? Does Bar-Sto make barrels with ports? I don't see SiGs listed in KKM's site... and after that, I've reached the limits of my knowledge. Web searches and Firing Line message board searches have been lacking, and I can use the help.

nemesis

If you ever have to fire it at night in a defensive situation, you can count on your vision returning sometime later. If you are forced to fire from a low hold, you will have a face full of hot gas and assorted particles.

Do you really need a ported barrel on a small caliber handgun?

JIH

I didn't ask whether or not I wanted it. I didn't ask whether or not I needed it. I asked for recommended barrel makers.

To further head off posts with answers I didn't ask for:
I didn't ask if I wanted a Glock. I didn't ask if I wanted a 1911. I didn't ask if I wanted a AK. I didn't ask if I wanted an AR. I didn't ask if 7.62NATO was better than 5.56NATO. I didn't ask if it was for the children. I didn't ask if it was good on white bread. I didn't ask if it was good on rye. I didn't ask for special sauce, lettuce, or cheese. I didn't ask if Tony Sanchez killed DEA agents. I didn't ask if Rick Perry should get on down the road.

I've shot plenty of ported and non-ported guns (.40s, .44MAGs, .50s) at night and/or low-light. I've never really noticed being more blinded by the ported gun, nor have I had my face filled with hot gasses, particles, fire, brimstone, anarchy, Armageddon or Satan when firing from any position short of having my face on the slide. Typically, the big fireball at the end of the barrel discourages me from sticking my face near the slide.

Maybe I was just lucky. Maybe internet legends are merely legends.

CWL

I've got both .40 & .357 sig barrels for my P229.

My suggestion is to stay away from a comped barred & just get a factory drop-in (CDNN had them for $129). Spend your money on ammo.

You will just need some practice to get used to the .357 Sig round. I shoot the Sig round better than the .40 personally. But I did have to get used to the bang & flash.

hksigwalther

Back to the original question, I don't have a P229 so I'm not sure if this would work. Have you asked SIG if they the comped barrel assembly for the P229 Sport will drop into a regular P229? (And if they can sell it that way or in parts.) Probably expensive but it would be factory.

Can't seem to find if Federal Arms makes a replacement barrel (ported or comped) for the P229.