Sig P229 - Failure to feed

K-9

I have a P229 .40 cal.with 350 rounds thru it. The problem is that a cartridge will sometimes hang up on the feed ramp and will have pressure on it from the next round in the magazine.This causes the slide to cycle partially to the rear,jamming at this point.The only way to clear this is to push the slide to the rear,eject the magazine,then eject the round on the feed ramp.This happens with 3 different magazines(new factory),with varying number of cartridges in them.
Boy,do I need help with this P229.(bought new).All my guns are cleaned after every use.
Thank you.

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
K-9, it sounds as if you have a rough or uneven spot on the feed ramp. I recommend a trip to your local smith to have it polished. It could also be a magazine problem or a combination of both but I think it's the ramp. George

K-9

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I'll take it with me this week(gotta go shoot a few old wheelguns).

po boy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>K-9
229 in 40 cal. are noted for this problem you did not mention if you tried other ammo with different nose profile that normally clears the problem up.I have a 229 with both 357 and 40 barrels only had the problem with the 40 cal. changed ammo no more problem, never had a problem with the 357 Sig....... ;)Originally posted by K-9:
I have a P229 .40 cal.with 350 rounds thru it. The problem is that a cartridge will sometimes hang up on the feed ramp and will have pressure on it from the next round in the magazine.This causes the slide to cycle partially to the rear,jamming at this point.The only way to clear this is to push the slide to the rear,eject the magazine,then eject the round on the feed ramp.This happens with 3 different magazines(new factory),with varying number of cartridges in them.
Boy,do I need help with this P229.(bought new).All my guns are cleaned after every use.
Thank you.
[/quote]

Banzai

I had a similar problem with my used Sig 229/40. It was made in 95, so it's had a few rounds through it. Happened on new and old mags. Tried EVERYTHING.
Ended up replacing the mag springs, the recoil spring, and polishing the feed ramp.
What fixed it? I polished the breech face and the extracter claw and removed/cleaned the extracter plunger and spring assembly.
The cartridge moves the extractor a little to slip under it, if this is too stiff or rough, it will hang up, giving a classic class 4. Same story if the breech face is rough.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!

K-9

Gentlemen,
Thank you for sharing your experiences,they're most helpful.I've been using Aguila 180 gr.FMJ (flat nosed).

Check the straightness of the guide rod. If bent, it could cause binding which impedes the rearward travel of the slide.

Also examine the chamber. It should be clean and smooth. If it's dirty, it could slow down extraction or feeding.

Check your magazine lips for symmetry. If they're assymetrical, the feeding woun't be even and that could be causing your bind.

Alternatively, try different ammunition. My P220 hates semi-wadcutter. Even if you're using factory ammo, if the ammunition is underpowered, it could cause the action to be sluggish. Also be on the lookout for hyperfunction where the slide is travelling too fast for the magazine to push up the next cartridge.

Good luck.

K-9

Thanks.I'm off to the range today to try new ammo.Hopefully that'll do it.If not,it's going back to Sig.They built it,they can fix it.

------------------
"Until that time,Eustus,until that time."-from Soldier In The Rain

K-9

Went to the range.It was the ammo.(thank God).It went like this: Aguila 180 gr.FMJ-many jams,Fiocchi 180 gr.FMJ-less jams,American Eagle 155gr.FMJ(by Federal)-no jams,Magtech 180gr.FMJ no jams.All are flat-nosed.
Magtech was the most accurate,American Eagle 2nd,Aguila 3rd,Fiocchi 4th.
Accuracy tests questionable given my marksmanship(FWIW).
Thanks for the varied solutions to what must be a common problem.Very helpful.

------------------
"Until that time,Eustus,until that time."-from Soldier In The Rain