Sig P229 factory .22 conversion

Sgt Pepper

I recently picked up a Sig P229 and a NIB Sig factory .22 conversion kit for it. I tried the conversion kit out this weekend, and it is awesome! Dead on balls accurate. The gun's overall weight is so great that recoil is zilch without the gun being top-heavy. You can switch between 9mm (in my case) and .22 in about five to ten seconds. The instruction sheet recommended high power ammo, and I found that regular .22lr hollowpoints had feed reliability issues. Regular round nose .22lr rounds had no feed issues. Minimags worked beautifully, and I think that is what this conversion is probably set up to shoot the best. Anyway, I highly recommend this kit.

spodwo

Funny - I just got one about 10 days ago...for my 229 .40 S&W. I got the non railed version which are HARDER than heck to find! Topgunsupply had some in - they are gone already!

Yes - it is VERY accurate and very easy to switch out. I have about 500 plus rounds through mine - very few issues with respect to jams. I was shooting winchester XFires [they are the ones that would jam up] and CCI mini mags [both regular and hollow point]. No issues with CCIs.

I am dissappointed in the all Plastic magazine...I wish I would have been able to get this when they had metal mags.

I haven't officially cleaned it yet - I did a quick spray down with Rem Oil spray and wiped off the feed ramp and kept shooting - so it definitely likes to feast on .22s.

I shot a string of about 50 rounds - then I had on mag of .40 there so I dropped on the new barrel/slide and shot 12 rounds. Mind you - I haven't shot this .40 for about a year. All that practice with the .22 barrel paid off...it was nice to have them all in the black - I KNOW I wouldn't have done that coming out cold after all that time.

I really do endorse this if you have a Sig. Topgunsupply has sold out of all the versions save the Railed 229. I was lucky to order mine when I did!

Great stuff...

beemaze

+1 on the Conversion Kit. I got mine back in Dec '09 when SIG had them on sale.

Functions great!

I have a beef with the mags too, since they don't hold the slide open on the last shot.

I fixed this with a SigPower.com mag follower conversion. Yes, it's pricey, but now the slide stays open on the last shot. Better than dry firing the last shot and potentially ruining your firing pin over the long term.

http://www.sigpower.com/

Sgt Pepper

Mine is the non-railed version, too. My magazine is also plastic, but seems to be of excellent quality. I agree on keeping the slide open after the last shot. The pamphlet that comes with the kit emphasizes "no dry fire!" but you end up dry firing if you lose track of where you are, which happens to me because I use my .22's as field guns and may pop off a shot here and there as I walk along.

But really, this is an excellent kit. My dad, who is not really a semi-auto handgun person, absolutely loved it and was completely accurate from .22 to 9mm to .22 to 9mm. It's the only semi-auto pistol that he ever wanted to take home.

I think the hollowpoints that I used were also the Winchester Xfires and the round nose were Remington Thunderbolts. Sig says to experiment with different rounds to find what works best.