Sig P229, 2340, or Glock 23. Which one?

houndawg

Which one should I get? Take into account reliability, accuracy, and maintenance. Availability of accesories counts too. I'm looking at .40 S&W.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greetings, Try 'em all. Pick the one which fit's and feels the best. My personal choice
would be the Sig P229; with the Glock 23 a
close 2nd. :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Mylhouse

P 229, without a doubt. Unless cost is a factor. Then I say go for the 2340. Glocks are great, I just don't think highly of the 23's or 22's. HTH

Siggy

2340 in .357 all the way or I'll buy it from you. for my son in about 6 months.Bet you won't wantt to!

Rob43

I feel accuracy and reliability being close if not equal, the glock wins out on maintenance. Extemely simple and beyond durable, but no reloads.

Tecolote

Cost shouldn't be a factor in this category. Usually a P229 will yake an extra $150 out of your pocket over a Glock. I prefer SIG Sauers and the P228 is my choice. I like them. I've never had trouble with rust and you'll have nothing to worry about because of the stainless slide, maintenance is a snap (if anything field stripping a SIG Sauer P Series is even easier than a Glock), the DA/SA pulls are great, the hammer offers a visual status indicator, there are all sorts of holsters and gagets available for after market. As well some people find the polymer frame, while shock absorbing, requires a very stiff grip lest you limp writs the pistol. No such trouble with the P229. Follow a previous poster's advice and rent them all. Only you can decide what you like best.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

jwong

Try them both out to see which one fits your hand better. At one time I had both the Sig 229 and the Glock 23, both in .40 S&W... Personally, I liked the Sig better and sold the Glock... But both were great guns with pluses and minuses... A lot depends upon what your preferences are in a gun...

Jeff OTMG

I would agree with Ala Dan's choices. I have both a P229 and a G23. If you plan on getting any full cap mags the Glocks are cheaper, in fact, the 10 round Glock mags are cheaper than the P229 mags. If you only plan on having 10 rounders anyway, I would sure consider the Steyr M40.

Nyterunner

If you plan on keeping the weapon for any length of tome, avoid the SIG Pro. If you have to replace a spring in the fire control group, you have to buy a WHOLE NEW MODULE. SIG hasn't impressed me with service lately.

Russell92

reliability is about equal
accuracy goes to sig
maintenance goes to glock
lots of accesories for both
they are both good guns and i'm making just about the same decision right now (229, G32 or G31) i'm most likely gonna go with the G31. i like the single type of trigger over DA/SA. they all feel great in my hand but that is an important issue for you. hold and shoot them first.

Beretta Boy

I, as well, have had similar dilemmas recently. You know, I hate Glocks as a general rule, but DARN is that little 32 a nice gun... That thing is just sweet. I may have to eat my own words here soon... My only reservation in buying one is that I don't want to have to go between to guns (Beretta and glock) that shoot completely different and suffer in my own accuracy for it... I think for that reason I am gonna go for the 229. Good luck.
...oh, but I want the trendy .357 Sig caliber

[This message has been edited by Beretta Boy (edited February 10, 2000).]

twoblink

Ahh yes, the same decision I was trying to make before. The correct answer, depends on your situation:

First, all those are great "no regret" guns. Super reliable, and will be something you can pass to grandkids.

One of my friends who's an ex-CIA agent told me this. "Get a Sig. Sig's are passive weapons, they work like a Swiss watch, super accurate, and graceful in all they do. If you want a defensive weapon, the I highly recommend a Glock. Guarantee to go bang when you pull the trigger. If you want a weapon for 'aggression' (I don't recommend, unless you are SWAT or something like that) then I recommend an HK. Sig for target, Glock for defense, and HK for offense."

I think the glocks are great, super easy to field strip, and super reliable and durable. If you feel the need to soak your gun in salt water, then by all means, get a glock. If you like to carry a gun "cocked and locked" then get an HK. Durable, reliable, but a bit bulky. If you want mostly target practice, then get a Sig.

If you have the money, get a P229. If you don't (like me) get a SigPro 2340. Beefier slides, polymer handles that greatly reduce the recoil, and it's a sig, for the price of a glock.

One note on the glock 23's, not a fully supported barrel, so don't feed it reloads and super hot stuff, not a good idea. You can get like a Jarvis or Barsto barrel that is fully supported for it, but that would put it in the price of a Sig...

Shoot safe!
Albert

jimmy

It's a win-win choice, but personally I'd go for the Glock 23. Of the .40s I've tried, the G23 is the purest fun to shoot. JMHO.

One

Definitely a Glock 23. It has ease of maintainence, reliabilty, and durability. I love mine and if I could only have one pistol, this would be it. If I had to make a second choice of a .40 it would be a tie between the DAO 229 and a DAO USP compact. I have fired the SigPro at a LE Convention, and I am not impressed. If you have to have a Sig, buy the 229. The SigPro handled the recoil poorly and just felt all around uncomfortable.

Be Safe
Mike