SIG P228

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Blaster

The other day I was in my local gun shop and saw two sig p228s with night sites and high cap magazines 13 rounds?

I may be interested in a 9mm compact, but the used sigs with holster wear were $569 and $599. The nite sites had dates on the side??? 92 and 93. can any one tell me why these guns are sooo expensive.

Is it true they are made of folded sheet metal?

what is with the roll pin that goes through every sig?

I have a 230sl whichi I love because it is so slim and concealable but still poinst and shoots like a full size gun. will I be dissapointed by the larger sig?

Where can I get a sig 9mm at a reaasonable price?

Mike in VA

Blaster, those'd be OK prices for NIB, not used, thought the night sights usually add about $90-100. Try one of these guys -http://www.bachmangun.com/ http://www.fourseasonsguns.com/ http://www.kyimports.com/
Your other observations are correct. The slide is made from sheet (if this is a problem, try the 229 - it's slide is machined from stainless bar stock), and the breech block is pinned in. I've had mine for two years, couple K rnds, no prolems. Typical SIG - reliable, accurate, nice trigger, easy to maintain, etc. Good luck, M2

Doc Mac

That pin holds the breechblock in place in that stamped steel slide. The Sigs are very
rugged despite the use of sheet steel slides.

bobo

BTB, The roll pins should never be reused
after the breech block has been removed.
This is not a user operation anyway only an
armorer should do this.

Ben

That's why I like the 229 a bit more... seemed to me to be a bit more rugged. I thought it was REALLY obvious because they ALL 220, 226, 228, 225 all have that folded slide look. It just didn't do it for me...
The 245 didn't look nearly as obvious if it does... I've only seen the 245 once and don't remember. It certainly looks better than the 220 does. The 229 (239 also), and 232 do not. The Sig Pro looked like it might have the "folded" slide as well.

I need to edit this a bit... never said that the folded slide was less durable... I just don't care for the looks very much. Looks like the sort of thing a company would do to save money, even if it isn't really. I just dont care for the way the slides look. We all know that Sig's are great guns.

I feel better now,
Ben

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited November 11, 1999).]

EQUALIZER

Guys,

Don't get too hung up on the slides and whether or not they are stainless or sheet steel. They are all fine slides. The sheet steel slides are not 1/64" galvinized underpinning. I know of guys who have put well over 50,000 rounds of 9mm and have worn out several barrels, yet still have the same sheet metal slides and aluminum alloy frames that continue to perform more accurately than the shooters potential. They will probably out live them as they w/be passed onto children (or confiscated by govt through serial #s) which ever comes first.

Master B.,

I'd negotiate that price way down, or shop elsewhere. You will probably eventually find a better deal. I'd buy the Sig that fits your hand and points the best. Also consider size for the type of carry. For instance, a 225 will be more comfortable than a 229 if you are going w/a in the waist band holster. If you need a bigger caliber, etc. are the reasons for choosing one over the others when it comes to SIGs. The roll pins can be purchased from SIGARMS co. if you plan on removing the breech block for any reason. I've never heard of one comming loose unless it has been removed and reused, though. I don't think it should be a concern. Except for thier plastic model, which I haven't decided yet, they are all top of the line combat arms IMHO.
EQUALIZERplus@netscape.net

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greetings, Equalizer has got this one "nailed
on the head". Most all of the P228's that I
have come in contact with; certainly will out
last their user's. I bought mine in Oct. 98;
as it looked like the availability of this
fine weapon was drying up. Oops; I probably
paid too much, at $550.00; but it came with
2 post ban high capacity magazines.

------------------
Ala Dan

EQUALIZER

After thinking about it more, it realy depends upon the condition of the gun as to whether or not they are asking all that much. If the sights indicate that they were purchased in 1992 & 93, I think they should drop the price some more. If they do not have hardly any holster wear, nor dings or evidence of much wear around the barrel and locking lug, I don't think that $500+ is too much if you get the two factory 13 rounders with each gun. The night sights don't add much to the value at this point, but the 2 high cap mags DO. If they are in good shape, it really comes down to how much you are willing to pay for them and how much they will come down on the price. If its the perfect gun for you, its worth the investment in my book. If the grip is wider than fits your hand perfectly, consider a lower capacity 225. 9 rounds (8mag+1). Its the same thing as the 228 with a slightly thinner grip and square trigger guard. If you have large hands, there's 229's out there too. You might be able to find a big (relatively speaking) 226 for a bargin. Again this will limit options as to concealed carry as you go up in size, but some people can hide them well. Check out Shotgun News and Shooting Times at the newstand. They are big newsprint mags w/lots of advertisements. Good for current pricing guide when comparing used gun prices...esp. Shooting Times.

BTW Ala Dan,
The 228 w/the mags you got is a bargain compared to any lesser quality model that doesn't suit you as well at any price. You got a good deal friend.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Greg Bell

Guys,

I had a Sig 228 some years back. Nice shooter with a sweet trigger. Unfortunately, the dinky roll pin on the right side of the slide started to work its way out after a few hundred rounds. Really, really not worth the money. The 229 or 239 might be nice though.

P.S. I still have two hi-caps from that gun (I sold it post ban and couldn't bear giving them away).

GHB

EQUALIZER

Greg,

That roll pin should have been replaced w/a new one. Was the gun used? If so, maybe somebody removed it and didn't replace it w/a new one. Roll pins are like cotter pins. They are cheep, and aren't suppossed to be reused in vital applications, like car wheel hubs, for expl. A top notch car has certain pins that are supposed to be replace after removal. They do a fine job for their intended purposes, but do not diminish the quality of the car. There's an armourer or two as members here. Maybe they can respond as an armourer has seen many more SIGS than most of us.

Darthmaum

Blaster,

I have a 228, with about 1000rds through it and no problems so far. Great gun, very accurate and easy to clean.

I would jump at the chance for that SIG, especially since it's got the 2 hicaps, those alone cost about $85-90! I don't think it's a bad deal at all, considering what all it comes with. 228s are hard to find (in my area anyway).

My hubby traded his 229 recently and got $450 for it, the dealer turned around and sold it for $550. That's a reasonable price in my area. I paid $550 for mine NIB, but I've seen them as high as $625 new.

Get it! :)

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

Jeff OTMG

MB, before laying out that kind of money on a SIG P228 check out a Dlasak DAC-394. Josef Dlask was an engineer for CZ in Czechoslovakia and move to Vancouver, B.C. then to Blaine, Wa. He is manufacturing a P228 clone that uses the same parts and mags. It is all CNC machined in Canada and he will be offering it in a steel frame before the end of the year. I did find the grips to be too thin flexed badly, so they would have to be replaced. The best thing about this gun is the price, $250 NIB from SOG. That is an introductory price, you can expect it to rise in the next few months, but a real SIG at more than double the price is not twice as much gun as the DAC-394.

Chris Orndorff

Re the roll pin problem: on many Sigs the roll pins will drift out the right side of the slide. Some faster than others. Some will never move. My own P226 has pins that drift; after several hundred rounds the inner pin has moved slightly to the right. I tap it back in with a roll pin punch. It's not like the thing completely leaves the pistol.

I have also re-used roll pins. I'm well aware of Sigarms policy of never reusing the pins, but in a pinch I have, and have not noted any problems whatsoever. You're right, they're cheap, and when possible I use fresh pins.

joegerardi

I just played with my new DAC-394 at the gunshop too I have to agree with Jeff OTMG. Not as nicely finished as the 228, but I took a 228 apart and swapped all the parts between them and they fit and functioned perfectly. I really like this pistol and would have brought it home except for the fact that they were in the middle of inventory and hadn't entered into the system yet.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Hello Darthmaum; If you got a Sig P229 for
$550.00 you did well. Bought mine in Dec. 95
(.40S&W) complete with factory Siglite night
sight's for $760.00 + sales tax !!!

------------------
Ala Dan

Darthmaum

Ala Dan,

Gag hack cough! $760? My 228 is pretty straight laced, blued finish, no nite-sights. :( My husband bought the 229 .40sw and new it was $650, blued and no frills. But then again. Siglites do run the price up.

What's this roll pin y'all keep talking about that comes loose? Where on the gun is it?

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

Phillip

DarthMaum, look at the slide serrations near the top of the slide,and you will see a roll pin.
I too was interested in the DAC 394, but am a little worried that the reliability and durability won't be the same as a true SIG.
I would really like to see an update or range report of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.