Sig P228 Surplus Goodness Thanks Dan's Ammo

WVsig

So the other day I was browsing one of my favorite surplus re-sellers, Dan's Ammo and something caught my eye. Dan Tobin the owner is one of the easiest guys to work with and often gets some of the gems of the surplus world. He gets his hands on a lot of the high grade guns brought in by PW Arms.

There was a Sig P228 Swiss Surplus date code KC listed. Dan who is always conservative in his ratings of used guns listed this one at Grade 1 +. So I called him up and he answered the phone himself as he often does and inquired about the gun. Did he get another shipment or was this a one off? He said he only had the one gun. I inquired about the condition and he stated it is the nicest Swiss Surplus P228 he had ever seen. I said SOLD!.

Gun shipped the next day and arrived to my FFL today. The ad said is came with an additional magazine so I was expecting 2. When I picked it up there were 4 mags included. It came in a correct period factory box and manual. It has night sights and wears a Swiss Canton but I am not sure which one.

I looked the gun over at the FFL. The rails are perfect. A slight bit of wear on the top fronts of the rails. Internal rails are perfect. There is not another mark anywhere on the gun. There is a slight smile on the barrel so it has been shot but it has not seen many rounds and I doubt it ever saw a holster.

The DA is heavy I would put it over 12lbs but the SA is under 5lb. I am going to drop a lighter hammer spring into it like my other P228s and see how she feels. As expected the DA & SA pulls are smooth. The only downside to the pistol is the PW Arms import marks but I am going to touch them up so they don't stand out as much.

Here are some pics.

Last edited:

WVsig

A few more pics. I am not going to be able to get to the range today but might pop a few off in the backyard test range. ;)

WVsig

Dan is always spot on. I have bought over half a dozen pistols from him over the years. Lots of Sigs, Beretta, Browning and CZs. Almost all of them were PW Arms imports.

wnycollector

Congrats WVsig.

I just picked up a Dan's Ammo Swiss police surplus P228 this past weeked from a dealer who had Dan hand pick a half dozen for his private collection a few years ago. He is scaling down his collection and I was lucky enough to strike up a conversation with him at a gun show.

JDBerg

Boy, that's a nice one, IMHO, I can't say there's such a thing as a bad one! A nice Sig P228 is like a nice BHP, which are like my current affliction, nice K-frame S&W's. You see a nice one, you make the best deal you can & go for it & enjoy it!

WVsig

I currently own 3 P228s but quite a few BHPs. There is a lot more variance I the BHPs so I can justify having more. LOL :D

Bart Noir

Very nice SIG.

I was able to buy a used German-made 228 a couple of years back, with the previous owner being a Sheriff's deputy in Benton County, Washington State, the real Washington. So no Euro department marks or import marks.

Then I had my gunsmith put the E2 grip on, with the SIG short trigger and the short reset parts along with a lighter mainspring. What a gun! Weight, balance, trigger pull, it is all just right.

Refinishing is next on my list. And doing something about the serrations on the front of the grip. They are not just right, in texture as my fingers seem to slide around on them. The serrations may get changed into cross-hatching as half the work is already done.

Bart Noir

WVsig

I was able to buy a used German-made 228 a couple of years back, with the previous owner being a Sheriff's deputy in Benton County, Washington State, the real Washington. So no Euro department marks or import marks.

Then I had my gunsmith put the E2 grip on, with the SIG short trigger and the short reset parts along with a lighter mainspring. What a gun! Weight, balance, trigger pull, it is all just right.

Refinishing is next on my list. And doing something about the serrations on the front of the grip. They are not just right, in texture as my fingers seem to slide around on them. The serrations may get changed into cross-hatching as half the work is already done.

One of these days I will send one of my P228s off to Gray Guns for some work but until then I just change out the hammer springs.

Rinspeed

Very special 228 you picked up, can't believe it could have had more than 50-100 rounds shot through it. Shoot it in the best of health my friend.

drobs

Good looking gun but I now avoid PW Arms Import guns. I hate how they mark up the side of the slide on every gun they import.

I could handle import markings on the dust cover - at least there I wouldn't have to see it every time I handle the gun.

DMK

That's really nice! :cool:

Dan's Ammo has always done me right over the years. He never has a wide variety, but what he has is good stuff.

WVsig

Good looking gun but I now avoid PW Arms Import guns. I hate how they mark up the side of the slide on every gun they import.

I could handle import markings on the dust cover - at least there I wouldn't have to see it every time I handle the gun.

I wish that PW Arms did a better job on the import marks but I can live with them. It is the only way to get a "Swiss" Sig P228 that I know of. In the end the gun is going to get shot and will have all sorts of distracting marks on it so I don't sweat the import mark. If I was looking for a collectible safe queen that would be a different story.

Mystro

Great score. I would have left with that as well. You have to buy them when you see them like that if you need it or you don't.

WVsig

Great score. I would have left with that as well. You have to buy them when you see them like that if you need it or you don't.

That is the way I look at it. You do not see them for sale in excellent condition very often for a "fair" price so if and when I do I look long and hard at them.

There are a few guns that are like that for me. BHPs, W German Sigs and some 1911s.

I dropped a 20lb hammer spring into it today and it brought the DA pull down to about 9lb 9oz which is about where I like them.