SIG P228 Extractor Issues ?????

BarryLee

I have been considering purchasing a SIG P228. A friend has one and it is equipped with an internal extractor. I understand that some of the older SIGs had problems related to the internal extractors, so they changed to external versions on their newer models.

So, did all P228s have internal extractors or were there versions with external extractors?

Were there ever any real problems with the internal extractors on the P228?

Is there anything else I should look for when shopping for a P228?

sigarms228

IMO the SIG P228 is one of the best pistols ever made and has a long history of reliability.

ALL P228s have internal extractor and NO they are not a problem! The P228 and the original P226 have carbon steel folded slides.

The newer stainless steel milled slide SIGs like the current P226 and P229 have external extractors and they have not been a problem either.

SIG did make some stalinless steel slide P220s with internal extractor and some users did report problems with that. Long since SIG has gone to an external extractor on the regular stainless steel slide P220.

There is a VERY limited supply of NEW P228s available from Summit Gun Broker if you are interested but I don't expect these will be around for long. IMO this is an amazing opportunity to get a NEW GERMAN PROOFED P228!! I already have a P228 but am considering one of these myself.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/228_German.html

Last edited:

BarryLee

Cool, I guess based on your user name you are a fan. Yes, I have a P220 and P229 which I like a lot, but have always had a desire for the P228. I am not sure where I heard the rumors about the internal extractors being an issue, but maybe it was on the P220 or maybe I am just totally mistaken.

sigarms228

You would most likely really like a P228. Yeah I am kind of a fan of them. Mine was an A+ Zurich Police trade in. There are some police trade in P228s on Gunbroker right now but they are not near the condition of the batch I got mine in from Top Gun Supply. Sometimes really nice ones show up on Gun Broker, in your local gun store, or in forum classifieds.

Here is my baby.

P228-a.jpg

P228-1b.jpg

bamaranger

agency

My agency issued the P228 (an overrun from another agency) as the first auto pistol in service. I ran several transition classes, (auto to revolver) at my duty station and other locale's as well. The P228's were ultra reliable. I witnessed 30 or so shooters, fire 1000 or so rds each. There were just a handfull of failure's, and two of those were on a pistol the student did not clean from the day previous.

Been on the lookout for an affordable P228 ever since w/o success.

We DID have some trouble w/ P229 extractors in .40 cal when they first came out, but it was traced to an ammo problem (high pressure) and not so much the design.

Patriot86

I am a SIG fan myself and trying to find one in good condition can be tough. The thing is, springs can be replaced. If you find one with a good barrel, you can have a gunsmith swap out all the springs and have someone refinish the gun. I don't know how you feel about classified adds but I am going to PM you one I have had my eye on but I can't seem to pull the money together for right now.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Even if you ever were to have an extractor problem, there are gunsmiths that will make a new one for the P228. They are still available from some dealers. I don't think it is enough of a possible problem to not consider owning one. I keep looking for a P228 in good condition at a reasonable price.

WVsig

There are tons of good P228s in the used market place. They will run you $450 to $700 depending on cofiguration and condition.

Some NIB parts/frankenguns have come in from Germany in the past year or two. Some have rails. Some have SAS frames etc....

A bunch of German Munich/Swiss trade ins were brought in by PW Arms a few years ago. They were a nice deal. I scored a nice one for about $500. IIRC. Recently another batch came in and Robertons' picked them all up. You can get them on GB for as low as $450 but at that price they are pretty beat up the ones at $550+ are in better shape none I have seen are LNIB.

All carbon steel folded P series Sig had internal extractors. There were no issues with these. Sig moved to the external extractor when they moved to stainless steel slides.

If you are looking for a P228 and are ready to buy I have a lead on some nice looking guns. Coming with 1 13 rounder delivere to your FFL for about $425 to $475. I have 2 already or I would have picked one up. Slides appear to be refinished.