Sig P228 ejecting at face

flinch_of_gt

I really like my P228, but for some odd reason, my gun will absolutely fling fired cases at my head. It's not good when I'm trying to qualify for in-store carry (don't ask, weird situation, that), and piping-hot 9mm cases are bouncing off of my hat.

If I really grip the gun tight, the ejection pattern goes to four o'clock, but most times, it's coming back at 5-6 o'clock. I've checked the ejector, and it seems a little more loose than usual. Other shooters don't have the same problem, but it's my gun, darnit!

I'm probably going to have the gunsmith reshape the ejector to fit my needs.

Any other ideas?

Spackler

My P225 did that when I first got it. People offered some opinions, mostly that I was limp-wristing the gun, but hey, this ain't my first rodeo. I had several people shoot the thing and it was flinging hot brass at everbody's noggin.

I called Sig, who told me to run another hundred rounds or so through it and call them back if it was still a problem. I ran another 50-75 rounds through and the problem cleared up. Once in a great while, it will throw one back and to the left. It did this the other day, and I by reflex I snatched the case out of the air with my left hand. It was of course very hot.

blades67

If the brass is hitting you in the head, then you "really grip the gun tight, the ejection pattern goes to four o'clock," then the problem is you. Well, your grip on the gun is the problem. The ejector is held in place with a roll pin, it's supposed to move a little. Change the way you hold onto the gun before you start hacking on it.

oops

flinch,

I've shot several different Sig models and only one did what your's is doing. It was a P229 .357Sig and the rental counter guy just shrugged his shoulders and offered no opinion when I told him of the problem. This particular range usually takes very good care of their rental guns.

fastbolt

If the pistol doesn't do it for other shooters, it's probably not the pistol. That's good news, because it means there's probbaly nothing wrong with your pistol.

Just because you're "griping" the pistol tightly doesn't necessarily mean you're locking your wrist straight and firmly enough to stabilize the frame during the recoil cycle. (You'll also see this phenomena when someone switches to a heavier recoil spring, and suddenly their grip and wrist support are no longer sufficient for the different recoil cycle characteristics, and they get smacked between the eyes with hot brass.)

Also, sometimes the shape of the grip frame might be just different enough in some minor way that your grip and wrist/forearm support might require some slight modification from how you manipulate other pistols.

Have someone watch your hand and arm while you're shooting. If your wrist flexes just a little bit during the recoil cycle ... or is "broken" (bent) in relation to the alignment of your hand and forearm ... even though your fist may be clenched almost painfully tight around the grip frame, you might unintentionally be allowing sufficient movement of the frame during extraction/ejection to have the empty case thrown back at your face.

If this is the case with your "problem", straightening and locking your wrist may resolve it. I'd try that before I'd have someone "modify" any part of the pistol, especially the ejector/extractor. Sometimes such modifications can create more problems than they "solve", and could actually degrade reliability in other ways. Your pistol is a quality, well engineered weapon, and SIG has been making them long enough to have pretty much determined the proper design for the components.

There are variations to this, though, and it's not easy to diagnose without having someone present to watch what's happening while you're shooting.

Oh yeah, it wouldn't hurt to have someone examine the pistol for a quick armorer's check, just to make sure there aren't any burrs on the extractor, no debris in the extractor cut, etc. ... But if it truly is only happening when you shoot it, and it functions fine for everyone else, it's probably something you can fix by modifying your manipulation during shooting.

Best of luck, and don't let it bug you too badly. You don't really think you're the ONLY person to occasionally experience this, do you? The few times a year I take my P-90 to the range and fire it with the 16 pound recoil spring in it (stock is 11 pounds, but for this thread it doesn't matter why I switched), if I allow my grip OR wrist to soften just a litle bit ... I get an empty sailing by my face or bouncing off the top of my head. Proper grip & locked wrist, and all the empties land in a pile out at 4-5 o'clock a few feet away.

ROBOV

My 225 would eject the brass back at me the first 100 - 200 rounds I fired thru the gun. It was a little unsettling but I thought the gun may have a breakin period. The last 300 - 400 rounds the gun has been ejecting the way its supposed to....I say the way its supposed to, all I know is the empties aren't hitting me anymore.

By the way it's a very accurate pistol. I'm impressed.