Sig P226

C7AR15

Anyone disassembled and installed SRT (short reset trigger) ?? Into a Sig Sauer P226.

There is are some videos online, but I wish I had a book with illustrations.

How did it go? I am not too bad, at taking guns apart.

Uncle Malice

It's very easy. I've done about 6 of them. Might seem a little complicated the first time, but it's really a piece of cake. Any of the walk throughs should serve you well. There are no special tricks that come to mind.

rodfac

I did my P226 and it wasn't a problem...at most a :15 job. Take your time and review more than one u-tube of the process. Rod

pwalston25

Well come to think of it I have a SRT kit laying around I have been planning on putting in my mk25. Thanks, this will cure my boredom for a little while lol

Rangerrich99

I just did this for my P229 last weekend. I believe the kit and the installation instructions for your 226 is the same. Including watching the videos it took about 30 minutes to successfully install the kit and the short trigger.

It helps to have a pair of tweezers and either a Glock tool or a 1/16th inch punch pin.

Overall, I'd say the process was easier than I expected, and if I had to do another one right now I could probably do it in less than 10 minutes.

t4terrific

It stinks that you buy a $900 pistol, then have to swap $40 in parts to get the trigger up to par with other brand's cheaper pistols.

I'm beginning to wonder what you're paying for, when shelling out $900 for a P-series Sig.

Last edited:
Relatively easy. If you want to DM me I can email you about 28 GIFs on taking apart the SIG pistol if that'll help. But far before having those, it was simple.

Worc

It stinks that you buy a $900 pistol, then have to swap $40 in parts to get the trigger up to par with other brand's cheaper pistols.

I'm beginning to wonder what you're paying for, when shelling out $900 for a P-series Sig.

Many of the new 226's come with the SRT. Not every one that installs a SRT kit is putting it into a new gun. The OP may or may not have a new gun and in my case it's installed on a West German gun. Pretty cool you can just drop something in as easy and inexpensively on a gun as old as mine. Not many other brands that have a reset as goods as the Sig's SRT. Even the Walther PPQ's is not quite as good as the Sig has zero take up after the reset.

You get very good quality, excellent accuracy, great ergonomics, excellent reliability, and very good trigger characteristic in the P lineup. They may not be for everyone though, like any other gun.

t4terrific

Many of the new 226's come with the SRT. Not every one that installs a SRT kit is putting it into a new gun. The OP may or may not have a new gun and in my case it's installed on a West German gun. Pretty cool you can just drop something in as easy and inexpensively on a gun as old as mine. Not many other brands that have a reset as goods as the Sig's SRT. Even the Walther PPQ's is not quite as good as the Sig has zero take up after the reset.

You get very good quality, excellent accuracy, great ergonomics, excellent reliability, and very good trigger characteristic in the P lineup. They may not be for everyone though, like any other gun.

I have 2, a West German 226, and a 229R. I got both of them used. They are great guns. All the characteristics you described are true.

Other companies produce guns featuring those same characteristics for far less money. The Beretta 92fs, for example, satisfies all those characteristics, yet sells for over $300 less than a new base 226.

Where is the added cost/value?

Why is a new base 226 $900, when comparable pistols, from other manufacturers are $500-$600?

Worc

I have 2, a West German 226, and a 229R. I got both of them used. They are great guns. All the characteristics you described are true.

Other companies produce guns featuring those same characteristics for far less money. The Beretta 92fs, for example, satisfies all those characteristics, yet sells for over $300 less than a new base 226.

Where is the added cost/value?

Why is a new base 226 $900, when comparable pistols, from other manufacturers are $500-$600?

I hear ya. The Beretta 92 is a very good gun and does share some attributes of the Sig P lineup. Ergo's are not one of them, even though the 92's are not bad feeling guns. I'd take the durability of my 226 over a 92 any day. The Sig has a better trigger (SRT or not) than the Beretta which is not bad.

TunnelRat

I have to disagree with those numbers a bit. You're comparing a high price on a base P226 to a good price on a 92. Base SIGs can be found for less than $900 if you do some shopping. Now is there still a difference? Absolutely. Why? Good question. The market seems to tolerate SIGs being higher priced than Berettas. People keep buying the things, so SIG keeps selling them for that price. Maybe the low cost of the 92 is a result of decades of government essentially subsidizing the cost by using the M9.

lamarw

^^^^ Exactly

Beretta can afford to sell for less due to volume sales to the USA Military. I do disagree with the subsidy statement. It is simply because of the production rate. Although, the effect is the same as a subsidy. It is the reason Sig put an all out effort in a close competition for the M9.

This is why I placed the Beretta in the Forum thread about "Undervalued Pistols".

Both Sig Sauer and Beretta are top notch firearms and they will sell.

I do not think you will find the base price of Berettas at 5 to 6 hundred dollars. Sig P226 base or MSRP price is also far above 9 hundred dollars. The nice thing is you can sometimes find them at a very good price used.

TunnelRat

I do not think you will find the base price of Berettas at 5 to 6 hundred dollars. Sig P226 base or MSRP price is also far above 9 hundred dollars. The nice thing is you can sometimes find them at a very good price used.

If you're paying anything close to MSRP these days you're hurting yourself. The market is saturated with firearms at ludicrous deals if you watch online. CDNN had brand new 92A1s for $550. You get a rail and 3 mags. Base SIGs I can usually find low $800s. MSRPs on SIGs are like the MSRPs on American cars. There's always money off somewhere.

lamarw

I suspect your are right TunnelRat. I have not bought a new gun in several years, and even then it was not MSRP. Most of my guns are purchased used.

There just seems to be too many good used firearms available to have to pay twice the price for a new gun even when discounted.

By using MSRP, it was easy to show there is a significant difference in price of a new Beretta 92 and a Sig Model 226. I was holding the two from my rack last night and thinking there is just not any difference in quality of the two.

TunnelRat

There just seems to be too many good used firearms available to have to pay twice the price for a new gun even when discounted.

I absolutely agree with you on this. At the stores around me are literally shelves of used SIGs with some in excellent condition for just over $600. I get the concerns some people have about buying used, but personally I have a hard time buying a new SIG P series pistol with the glut out there. I suppose if I wanted one of the newer variations it would make sense, but there's not a lot there to attract me.

JDBerg

I absolutely agree with you on this. At the stores around me are literally shelves of used SIGs with some in excellent condition for just over $600. I get the concerns some people have about buying used, but personally I have a hard time buying a new SIG P series pistol with the glut out there. I suppose if I wanted one of the newer variations it would make sense, but there's not a lot there to attract me.

I've bought many used guns, there were two CZ's and a Glock 22 in particular, that gave me problems. But every Sig I've ever bought except a P220 were bought used, and they have all been solid and have served me well. I had to spend money with a gunsmith to get my used P226 .40S&W to run right but it wasn't much money, so that's not a problem. I might have to wait for a P226 Legion to show up in a used gun case before I get one, but it "pays" to be patient.

SlvrDragon50

I've been seeing a lot of 226 Legion posts recently... looks so freakin beautiful!!! But that price tag is awfully insane.

Sorry to derail from OP. Just saw some end comments

Bart Noir

The op wrote:

I am not too bad, at taking guns apart.

I may be the odd duck, the statistical outlier, the guy who just has to be different, but my problem has always been putting them back together again :D

Which is why I had my gunsmith put the Reduced Reach ("short") Trigger, the Short Reset Trigger, lighter mainspring, and the E2 grip on my P228. Money well spent, for darn sure.

It just fits me, and fires so well, that I still am somewhat amazed when I take it shooting. I recommend that mod combination for everyone.

OBTW, that is exactly the gun and setup he built for his wife. Holding hers is what sold me on the upgrades. And I have no regrets about buying that Deputy's used 228.

Bart Noir

C7AR15

fixing em

I may be the odd duck, the statistical outlier, the guy who just has to be different, but my problem has always been putting them back together again

Too Funny!!

I do not like taking apart guns all that much. It' the springs !!!

There are many gunsmithing videos on YouTube, also you can download the manuals from some websites.

Tip - Get a large clear plastic bag (dry cleaning bag) and put the gun inside on your work bench. Put your hands inside too, any springs and falling parts will be safe inside.

PS: I always learn new swear words when working on guns. I should write them down and send them to Hollywood.

Last edited: