SIG P226 SA reset problem

AndyWest

I have a circa 2009 SA/DA P226 in .40 (S/N U 851 XXX) that had trigger work done. After ~600 rounds, the hammer fails to stay in SA about 15% of the time, meaning the hammer falls back to DA mode after cycling. No other failures of any kind.

I removed the grips to get a look but I can't take a clear picture with my crap phone. From the left I see a notch on the (I think) sear where a nub on the bottom of the (I think) hammer rests when in SA. The nub BARELY touches here and there is takeup but virtually zero creep before firing. Could this light connection be the culprit? Do I need to restore some creep?

Thanks!

[Edited: Was looking at left, not right side of pistol]

Last edited:

Uncle Malice

A picture would really help, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Did you do the trigger work yourself? If not, I would urge you to take it back to whatever smith did the work and explain the issue.

If they have any ethics or regard for their reputation they should resolve the issue at no charge. Worst case, you can contact Bruce Gray. He'd get it in working order for you for sure.

RX-79G

This is absolutely the reason that trigger jobs should be approached with caution and backed up by warranty from the gunsmith. Please contact that person - they should be both happy to fix this and interested in what happened.

With the increasing use of MIM and cast parts with surface hardening, what worked for trigger jobs in the past often doesn't work today.

AndyWest

Picture

Pic attached. Apologies, this is the best my phone can manage. Circled in red is the connection in question when the hammer is cocked. Slide release is visible in the top left of the image.

Attachments

• P226SA.jpg
    P226SA.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 25

RX-79G

To my un-Sig trained eye, both the sear and hammer hooks look rounded off. The sear should be a flat, horizontal shelf.

AndyWest

They appear slightly less rounded to the naked eye, but not entirely flat as you describe. In any case, it sounds like this is the problem. I'll ask the smith who did the original trigger work to correct it. Only problem is the work was done in 2010 and due to financial reasons (and ammo craziness) I've only recently gotten around to shooting it much. Hopefully he'll still honor the work.

Thanks for the quick responses!

TunnelRat

Posting pictures doesn't change the fact that there is a problem. It needs to be fixed, either by the original smith or someone else.