SIG P226 or Beretta 92: Which Do You Prefer?

Which handgun do you prefer all around?

• Beretta 92 FS/A1

Votes: 57 35.4%
  • SIG P226/226r

Votes: 104 64.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TunnelRat

Hey all,
Figured I'd throw this out there for the sake of argument. My LGS has a German-made SIG P226 for about the same price as a Beretta 92A1/FS. I own and have owned SIGs and I am partial to them. But I notice the Beretta 92 has a strong following on this forum. I am interested in the Beretta partly because I have never had one and also because it is the military sidearm of the US.

So all things being equal (price, purpose, etc) which would you prefer and why?

Thanks,
-TR

jmr40

I'd say both are about equal in quality and reliability. I just like the feel, size, and position of the controls on the Sig better.

compglock17

They are bothe great, and I also would choose the Sig by a very narrow margin. However, based on your post, would go with the Beretta. Its a fin gun and fun to shoot.

JohnO

Have owned several of both. Both great guns. Could not say one is actually better than the other.

BerettaBuckeye

Own both, love both but prefer the Beretta by a very narrow margin as well. No real reason, just personal preference I guess but Berettas are just so smooth and easy to shoot. I'll be the first to admit SIGs are just as nice though. In your case you need the Beretta

Hibby

I love my Sig 226 (.40) but have not handled the Beretta. I do have a Kimber Ultra Carry .45, a S&W M&P 9mm, and a Sig Mosquito .22, and a S&W .357 686 Revolver. I wouldn't have bought any of them if I didn't appreciate them for a variety of reasons, but without a doubt, the Sig 226 is my favorite.

If you have the opportunity to rent both weapons at a shooting range, I would imagine that your weapon of choice will come into focus.

I doubt that either firearm is truly superior to the other, but you will find that in your hands, one is a better choice!

BigJimP

I don't like the controls ....or the feel of the Beretta...

I'd pick the Sig --- hands down/even if it was a 25% premium ( or maybe even more )....and internally, I think Sig is a much stronger gun. I've stripped them both to bare frames ( a buddy owns the Beretta ) and we were both less than impressed ...just looked cheap..compared to the parts in a sig 226.

JustinBiscuit

I have both and while they are both fine handguns, I prefer my Sig. I really enjoy shooting my 92, however the Sig is more accurate for me.

I own both and give the edge to the Sig. The feel of the grip is a little better for me. Cleaning is a tad easier as well. I don't think you would go wrong with either one. My only complaint with the newest P226 Sig pistol is they are shipping them with U.S. made magazines and they are not as good as the Italian Mec-Gar magazines are in my opinion. Even with that I would still give the edge to Sig and just buy the 18 round Mec-Gar magazines.

(*_*)

Beretta 92 here :) Have had sigs malfunction X3. Have not had beretta malfunction other then the small ones (tomcat). My M9A1 and my 92FS have Never malfunctioned. Both my and my brothers 226's have.

Mrgunsngear

Both awesome guns but I vote Sig. The only real difference in the two in my opinion is the Beretta's backwards ;) safety. I use it at work so I'm used to it but I wish I didn't have to get used to it....

yoter

I don't think you could go wrong either way. I have the Beretta, and have shot the Sig. I own the 92 because it fit my hand better. Like others said, both are great guns from great companies.

9mmfun

I own both but give the edge to the Sig. I shoot it better and it's easier to clean. Can't go wrong with either.

Ridge_Runner_5

Bought my SIG P228R, took it to the range with my G19 to compare them head to head. Guy next lane over offered to let me put a mag through his 92FS. I shot better with the Beretta than either of my guns :p