Sig P226 Extreme ???

IA7.3

Can anyone tell me about this gun? I've been looking for a quality full size 9mm. i know its crazy but i actually want a SA/DA pistol. (I have a couple compact glocks already) I do not intent to carry this gun, my daily carry is a glock 30sf.

Anyways the problem is i can't seem to find the extreme series anywhere and reviews are nonexistent. Is this not available yet? its on Sigs website. I want the extreme version because i want night sights, short reset trigger, and i like the more custom look of the extreme.

Does anyone have one? any experience with one? I'm looking for any info.

Thanks guys.

BarryLee

While I do not have the Extreme series I do own a P220 Carry Elite Dark and P229 Enhanced Elite. I think your desire to get night sights and SRT system is sound, but l keep in mind those options are available on other models. I think the only other unique thing about the Extreme is the grips and you could always add them later. As for the SRT it makes for a very nice trigger and results in an easy shooting accurate gun.

IA7.3

How do I go about ordering the night sights and SRT? do i just order the gun and have a gunsmith put the extras on?

Also, if the grip is the only difference then I'm definitely not spending the extra $$ for the extreme.

BigJimP

Yes, you can often order most any sig with nite sights....and the SRT trigger...if its an option listed in their catalog - thru your dealer.

If you order the SRT and night sites in aftermarket ...and pay a gunsmith to put them on ...it'll cost you more than ordering it new the way you want it.

The grips are unique to the extreme series ...so you can probably only get them on a new gun.
---------
For the most part all of the extreme options...are cosmetic / and whatever you think of the SRT trigger. Personally I don't like the SRT trigger..

There are lots of other models of the 226 ...

Personally, I'd go with the Elite Stainless model ( its got the Extreme options on it ...and its stainless...but its $220 more than the Extreme)...or I'd go to one of the 226 X-Five versions ...the top end one with the adj trigger in it, is a very nice gun, but its listing in the $ 2,750 price range...but its an excellent full sized gun - SAO - in my opinion. Depends on what your budget is ...what you want in a full sized gun.

BarryLee

How do I go about ordering the night sights and SRT? do i just order the gun and have a gunsmith put the extras on?

No, sorry if I was not clear.

What I meant was to look into other models that come from the factory with the SRT and night sights already installed. As I mentioned the Elite series has these parts included from the factory and in my area tend to be more common than the Extreme model.

the SRT trigger is SWEET. i have a USPSA model (discontinued). it comes factory installed with the SRT and competition fiber optic sights. i had the sights swapped out for my good old trijicon night sights. that is one seriously nice gun.

BigJimP

See, it depends ....loose holster dan likes his SRT ...and I didn't when I tested them on a couple of 226 models .../ so there is no one wrong or right answer....it depends on what you like.

With my "big paws" ...I thought the SRT just didn't feel right.../ and I don't love Sig triggers to begin with ...compared to 1911's ( which are my preferred platform in 9mm and .45 acp ) ...but on my 226's ( one in 9mm and one in .40S&W ) I stayed with the standard SA/DA triggers.

IA7.3

BigJimP,

you mention all of the other models of 226's, and i know there are quite a few of them. Can you suggest a couple with tritium night sights and SRT? I know the combat 226 comes that way, but i really don't "need" the 18 round capacity, and besides you can get aftermarket 18 round mags that will go into any standard 226. the macmillen or whatever that brand name is.

BigJimP

I'm not a Sig expert....but I mentioned the Elite Stainless model ...and the 226 Scorpion model ...both have what you're looking for ....

just look at the website ...and as you open each of the 18 models of the 226 line of guns ...click on the spec page....and it'll show you which ones have it and which ones don't.../ but there are two models...

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-elite-stainless.aspx

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-scorpion.aspx

-------------
I don't know what you were looking at in 18 rds....most of the Sigs are 15 round mags in 9mm.../ and I don't fool with aftermarket mags - especially on a carry gun - if that's what you want it for - stay with Sig mags.

My primary carry gun is a 1911 in .45 acp - with 8 rd mags.../ its defense...its not a gunfight at the ok corral .../ it'll all be over in 2 or 3 shots anyway ...if you train effectively ( in the one in a gazillion chance you ever need to pull a gun )....

The top end X-Five is a Single Action Only gun ...not DA/SA ...and it has an adjustable trigger in it ...and it holds 19 rds of 9mm...but its about 55 oz with a full mag in it ( mine is a .40S&W ) ...but its way too heavy to carry / its a "race" gun .../ and holsters are difficult to find for it / I had to have one custom made by Kramer leather..and just the holster cost me over $ 300 ...

But again....it depends on what you want the gun for...

The best 9mm in my safe...is a 1911 from Wilson Combat ...a 5" gun...all stainless ...a Protector model. Its a spectacular gun...

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-protector.asp

Its a way better trigger ..than any of my Sigs / even my X-Five ....

Wilson combat Protector stainless001.jpg the wilson in 9mm that is about 7 yrs old now.

I use Wilson Combat mags in this gun ...and in 9mm / its 10 rds ...and I don't carry it often...but I have carried it ...and 10 rds ( of 147gr Hydra Shok ammo in 9mm ...makes me feel warm and fuzzy ) ....

SIG X-Five .40 S&W.jpg my X-Five in .40 ...

BigJimP

Here are my standard 226's ...both all stainless ( sort of like the elite stainless now ) ....they quit making this specific model about 4 yrs ago .../ the elite stainless is a little sexier ...with the wood grips ...

but I bought one in 9mm and one in .40 S&W ....

SIG 226 Stnless 9mm & .40 S.jpg

and I have a good Kramer leather holster for this model ...but I don't carry it over the 1911...because I find a double stack gun too wide to carry ...and I much prefer the triggers on a well made, well tuned 1911...

Cycrops

Osage County Guns frequently has Sig Extreme models up for auction NIB on Gunbroker.

I got a very nice deal on a 1911 Extreme from them. The Extremes are very similar to the Scorpions (and probably several other models), just different color finish and grips.

IA7.3

BigJim,

this is not a carry gun. If i were ever going to carry full size pistol it would not be a 9mm. i would carry a .45. I regularly carry my glock 30(.45) I want a full size 9mm pistol for fun, range time, night stand ect. not carry.
The MacGar magazine company has been making the mags for sig for quite some time and offer extended cap. I know there are a lot of 226 options thats why i was hoping someone could help me narrow the search whether it be through simple tech specs or more preferable personal experience.

BigJimP

ok, in terms of 9mm's...

if I were going to pick one gun from today's Sig 226 general line of guns I'd pick the Elite Stainless...its a good all around gun / and has the specs you want.

If you would consider a Single action only Sig --- then I would go with the top end model in the 226 X-Five line of guns ( they have 4 models in the 226 X-Five lineup as well ). I think the single action Sigs are far superior to any of their DA/SA guns...( and I own both ).

Capacity is not an issue to me ...on a night stand gun, range gun, etc...so I still think some of the finest full sized 9mm's are 1911's - especially from mfg's like Wilson Combat. The 1911's in 9mm ..will give you a 10 rd mag..and its one of the finest single action platforms out there - if you have the budget for it. I have 3 different 1911's made in 9mm ...and they are some of the best full sized guns in my safe...easy to shoot, great triggers, good platforms...
-------------
But you should buy what you want / what fits your hands the best.../ and shoot as many versions of the Sigs as you can before you decide. It isn't about what fits my hands ...its about what fits your hands the best. A buddy and I just went thru this ...he was hell bent on getting a 226 ...but when he went to the range with me, because he broke a thumb yrs ago ...he can't reach the mag release on a Sig 226 without altering his grip ...none of the 226's are suitable to him / no matter how sexy they are... ...so he's since settled on an XD-M in 9mm ...and saving his money for a Wilson Combat 1911 in 9mm... / each of us is different.

dondavis3

Sig Sauer P226 X5 also comes in a DA/SA trigger.

SigP226X5Stainless2-1.jpg

It's called a Sig Sauer P226 X5 All Around.

It's an amazing gun - I shoot mine in competition.

:cool: