Sig P226 10 rd. factory mag trouble?

Big Dave

Hi folks,

Is there a problem with the factory 10 round mags for the 226. The one I had has a plastic base that goes from where bullet 11 through 15 would sit.

I never had this happen with the old mags.

I racked the slide and a bullet did not go into the chamber. Tried this three times and still didn't load a round.

The ammo was the cheap blazer.

The 10 rd factory mag was fairly new and not broken in.

Has anyone else ran into this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Tecolote

Need a little more detail. Did you load up all ten rounds? Did this happen with the mag half loaded? If the mag was fully loaded it could be that there's just too much pressure on the last round and this prevents the slide from working the round onto the feed ramp. Does your P226 do this with all the mags or just one?

Try it this way. Lock the slide back. Insert the magazine and release the slide. The force of the released slide should force the round into the chamber.

I would call SIG Arms and ask them to take a look at the mag. It'll be an easy $3.30 fix (cost of Priority mail).

I've had trouble getting in all ten rounds on new postban mags, but after the springs wear down a bit all the rounds load. I've never had the problem you descirbe, however.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Mike Spight

I've eight SIG factory mags for my 226. Never a single problem.

Tecolote's advice is good...SIG will fix the mag if there is a problem.

Mike

KOG

The 10 round mag you have is typical of the PC-"postban" mags. The plastic part makes up the space where the other 5 rounds would normally be as you mentioned. I've never had a problem with mine but I have noticed that the springs have a lot of tension like Tecolote mentioned.

I'd try loading one full and keeping it that way to help loosen the spring tension. His advice of trying different mags is good so that you can determine if it's the mag or something else.

You also want to make sure that when you rack that you pull back and let go like a slingshot; don't "ride the slide forward with your hand. I also suggest one of those speed loader thingies that helps you press the rounds in the mags, help saves sore fingers. HTH

Hard Ball

This may be a dumb question, but I have no experience with post-ban ten round magazines. If the 10 round SIG-Sauer P226 magazines are identical to the originai 15 round magazines except for a plastic filler, what prevents non PC people from simply removing the plastic filler and restoring the 10 round magazine to 15 round capacity? Are the springs different or is there some other feature that prevents someone from doing this?

[This message has been edited by Hard Ball (edited February 27, 2000).]

Tecolote

Length-the tube of the ten rounds mags are shorter than the standard capacity mags

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Big Dave

Thanks for the replies.

The mag was loaded to the max of 10. It was a bitch getting the last one in.

This has never happened before. It was at an IPSC match and kind of surprised everyone.

I'll load it up at let it sit for a while and see if that helps.

Glad to hear it's an isolated problem.

I have not shot the gun in a long time and to comply with the local laws I bought the 10 rounder mags.

Actually what scared me is that the P226 and that same mag was designated for home defense. I did not have a round in the chamber...so if I would have needed it I would have been SOL.

Take care,

Dave