SIG P225

TunnelRat

Hi all,
So recently I was browsing in my LGS. I had a couple of items I was thinking of trading and while they were evaluating I was looking in the cases. Lo and behold I find myself a SIG P225. I'd seen them before but never held one. Looked interesting so I asked to see it. Put it in my hand and it was like the heavens opened up. Can't think of too many pistols that have felt that good in the hand. Trigger was smooth as silk with a good reset. Barrel showed almost no wear, same with the rest of the firearm. Came with two magazines.

In looking online I see they are popular with some folks for concealed carry. I do understand that dimensionally it's not that different from a 228 with a large difference in capacity. But I do find the difference to be noticeable. I've read that the P6s can have issues feeding JHPs, but the P225s have different feed ramps that should fix this. I also read concerns that using +P ammo in the P225 is not a good idea.

Do any folks have experience with this pistol? What are your thoughts?

-TR

vba

TunnelRat, I have a P225 and you're right fits my hand and points very, very well. I only shoot my own reloads in mine, but it is a pretty firm load being 5.0 grains of W231 with a 115 JHP bullet. It feeds and fires these just fine.

Olympus

They are great guns. You shouldn't have any problem with HP ammo in the 225. Never heard anything about not shooting +p ammo.

I have a P6 and it's a wonderful gun.

They are awesome pistols... As far as +p, I can't tell you on that particular Sig. I looked for a P225 but to no avail. So I retired my P220R and went with the P229 for my EDC pistol.

vmr357

I have a P6. I haven't shot it extensively, but I've not had problems with hollow points. The P225 is supposed to be a slicked up P6. The P6 being a designed a police weapon that can use NATO ammo, has pretty stiff springs. The P225 has slightly lighter springs and a normal looking hammer. Round up some spare mags and shoot away. They really are nice guns.

Mrgunsngear

Hi all,
So recently I was browsing in my LGS. I had a couple of items I was thinking of trading and while they were evaluating I was looking in the cases. Lo and behold I find myself a SIG P225. I'd seen them before but never held one. Looked interesting so I asked to see it. Put it in my hand and it was like the heavens opened up. Can't think of too many pistols that have felt that good in the hand. Trigger was smooth as silk with a good reset. Barrel showed almost no wear, same with the rest of the firearm. Came with two magazines.

In looking online I see they are popular with some folks for concealed carry. I do understand that dimensionally it's not that different from a 228 with a large difference in capacity. But I do find the difference to be noticeable. I've read that the P6s can have issues feeding JHPs, but the P225s have different feed ramps that should fix this. Mine had that very issue. I sent it off to customized creations for their 225 'barrel job' and it's never had the issue since I also read concerns that using +P ammo in the P225 is not a good idea. I'd be surprised if it was an issue as German guns made when the P225 was made were made for the NATO pressure round which isn't much below the +p pressure loading. For what it's worth, I've shot plenty of +p in my P6 and never had an issue

Do any folks have experience with this pistol? What are your thoughts?

-TR

Comments in bold

WVsig

The P6 is a contract gun made for German Police departments. They can be distinguished from the commerical P225 externally because of the hammer. It was designed to let the armorer know if the gun had been dropped. Most of them were imported by PW Arms or CAI and have an import mark. They come in a small blue box and at one time sold for $300 to $350 depending on condition.

barrelreblue11mk5.jpg

Some have trouble with JHP. There is a date code on the side. Guns made after July of 1989 IIRC have the improved feed ramp. Here is a pic of the 2 barrels.

P225BarrelsNewandOld.jpg

The P225 is a better gun IMHO. The fit and finish of the guns is slightly better and they have the traditional P series hammer. Many people will disagree but having owned and shot both I sold the P6 and the P225 stayed. At one time the mags were hard to come buy and cost closed to $50 prices and availability has come down but it is still hard to find them for less than $30. Avoid the Promags unless you are willing to replace the springs and even then I would only used them as range mags.

Overall is a a great concealed carry gun which has all the handling characteristics of a full sized pistol in a more compact slim package. If the price is right get it.

sig-p225-2.gif

TunnelRat

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I put it on a short term hold at least for now, will likely start it on layaway. It just seems like a good fit and a lot of your comments have been helpful in getting me over any concerns.

I'd be surprised if it was an issue as German guns made when the P225 was made were made for the NATO pressure round which isn't much below the +p pressure loading. For what it's worth, I've shot plenty of +p in my P6 and never had an issue

Thanks! I am not planning on a steady diet of +p, just enough to ensure function with a carry load. I was assuming that should be okay but I appreciate the experience.

Here is a pic of the 2 barrels.

Just to make sure I'm not mistaken, the barrel on the left would be what I would want correct?

There is a date code on the side. Guns made after July of 1989 IIRC have the improved feed ramp.

Thanks! Looking up the serial number on the SIG forums it looks like it is pretty new, 2002 or so. I didn't catch the date code, was in a hurry.

WVsig

What were they asking for the gun? Check the gun I would assume it has triple serial numbers and a date code on the underside of the barrel with German Proof marks.

If it is a 2002 gun it is one of the last P225s.

TunnelRat

What were they asking for the gun? Check the gun I would assume it has triple serial numbers and a date code on the underside of the barrel with German Proof marks.

It did have triple serial numbers, I missed the date code. I'll probably stop by tomorrow to move it from a hold to a layaway and I'll let you know what I see. They were asking $550.

WVsig

Decent price for a P225. My guess is it will come is a black box not the larger blue Sig boxes that come out of Exeter.

Ibmikey

I have a P6 with a date code of 9/83 it has a serialized barrel with the feed ramp shown on the left in the photo. The pistol has fed anything stuffed into it flawlessly including +P and various hollowpoints, it is one super pistol to shoot!

LockedBreech

The 225 is an elegant and comfortable gun. Sorta like the Walther PPK/S in that there are other guns which do the same caliber, smaller and lighter, with higher capacity, but even so it's just such a quality experience the disadvantages are worth it.

WVsig

It is a shortened P220, which was originally chambered in 9mm. The P228 is a shortened P226. So they are both shortened versions of full sized P series guns. They are similar in size but feel very different in the hand. The P225 is one of my favorite Sigs.

SIG SAUER P225

Specifications
Operation Semiautomatic, mechanically locked, recoil operated
Trigger Double-action/single-action or double-action only
Safety Patented automatic firing-pin lock
Caliber 9mm Luger
Length, overall 7.1"
Height, overall 5.2"
Width, overall 1.3"
Barrel length 3.9"
Rifling twist 1 in 10"
Rifling grooves 6